A&H

Referee Fees

Just out of interest, do ref. secs get paid anything? Seems like a bit of a mammoth & thankless task to do "just for love".
Depends on the league how much they get paid.

Contrib appointments is a full time FA post, there are two north & south. They do 30,000 appointments per season....Being full time will have a proper salary.

At local level, it is more an honorium rather a salary. For most leagues, it will be between £500 - £1000 pa, but not worth the hassle. CFA are taking more of a role in appointing on Saturdays.

The Referee Store
down in Essex we have just gone to £35 flat fee for Sunday league football across the board.

Saturday.mid week I get £25 + 30p per mile for assisting

At local level, it is more an honorium rather a salary. For most leagues, it will be between £500 - £1000 pa, but not worth the hassle. CFA are taking more of a role in appointing on Saturdays.

Most local leagues I know of don't pay anything at all to the RefsSec (or any other officers for that matter) other than genuine out of pocket expenses.

My local men's OA Saturday & Sunday leagues pay a flat rate of £30 for ref and £17 for assistant on Saturdays £18 on Sundays.

The women's league pay £25 + 30p per mile for refs but I'm not sure what the fee for an NAR

Ryan u21/Development was £30 as an NAR last season.

Ryan u21/Development was £30 as an NAR last season.
That was a nice surprise for me when I turned up as a NAR last season, for some reason I was expecting £20!

As @Charlie Jones says, Essex FA have allowed an increase from £30 to £35 this season and although that's been applied to both my Saturday leagues, the Sunday league I referee on has declined to implement that. I emailed the ref sec to clarify if the fees were going up or not and he said that the increase was designed to attract more referees and they currently didn't need to do that, so no increase. Means it's not totally universal across Essex.

i'd speak to your RDO - presume Mr Lisher is also yours? its not been brought in to attract refs, its been brought as a raise! (last payrise I saw was around 8 years ago from £25 to £30 ...

the BSL sent an email out saying 'as per the ECFA guidelines, then fee has risen from £30 to £35'

i'd speak to your RDO - presume Mr Lisher is also yours? its not been brought in to attract refs, its been brought as a raise! (last payrise I saw was around 8 years ago from £25 to £30 ...

the BSL sent an email out saying 'as per the ECFA guidelines, then fee has risen from £30 to £35'
Interesting.... to quote my league ref sec in full:
Hi Graeme the match fee is £30 all in and not all leagues in Essex put up there fee and the leagues that did it in the hope of getting more refs to ref on there league
And fair play to them - last season they used me every date I made myself available, this season they've already not assigned me a match on one free date, so I've got no reason to disbelieve him!

I know it's only a £5 difference, but it does make the idea of dragging myself out of bed for a 10.30 KO after already doing a match the previous afternoon much less appealing! The league's been really good to me since I moved to Essex though, so I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram over this.

I don't know if this is of interest and how it compares to others around Europe.
Here, in santa land, my biggest pay day is 62.14 eurons for running the line in the regional 3rd division, and 51.50 eurs for blowing the tongue trumpet in the 5th div, which is local. There is a 44 cents per km tax deductible petrol allowance (avg. 20 km round trip per game)
I had 11 games in August and 14 queued for September. Two on the line tomorrow.

I haven't worked out the equivalent levels - I figure probably level 4/5 - I am on the line tomorrow night with one guy that has done some whistling up North (Staffs?) and I'll check. Before that I have a national league U17 game in the afternoon on the line with a great young ref.

The money is an afterthought and a bonus. It will pay for another Patrick (!) shirt tomorrow and Ms Sangria's previous trip to the hairdressers (that's a lot of junior matches!). I love doing it, the fitness aspect, the challenging mental aspect, meeting people, working with good people, learning, the social aspect, and I do love football, as its played at all levels, which helps! This season has been really interesting with some higher paced games. Some of the 14-17 year old control, passing and shooting (girls and boys) has been thrilling - to be part of, you know!

That is a maximum fee, it doesn't mean that leagues operating in the county have to offer that fee.

The background to this is that several of the home county CFAs got together many years ago to agree a maximum fee, with the idea being to protect their competitions. One league in particular, which I think was Herts affiliated, was effectively stealing referees from Middlesex, Essex and London affiliated leagues by offering huge match fees.

This joint approach went on for some time, but was abandoned a few years ago for various reasons. One was that some leagues just weren't complying, the other was that the emergence of unaffiliated leagues created a real problem as if you restricted the maximum fee you risked driving referees from CFA affiliated leagues to those rogue leagues that were able to offer higher fees.

CFAs cannot force a minimum fee onto leagues, but they can in theory set a maximum fee, and this is what is still in place in Essex (and some of the other home counties).

It's about time there were some standard fees set nationally, our local leagues are £22 plus 30p/mile travel. I don't do the job for the money, but that's not even minimum wage ffs

It clearly depends on where you operate.
The two local leagues I (until recently did) referee in pay £25 and £26 all-in respectively. :cool:

The Army FA still pays £15 per middle and £10 per line. ;)

It's about time there were some standard fees set nationally, our local leagues are £22 plus 30p/mile travel. I don't do the job for the money, but that's not even minimum wage ffs
@Mintyref - Come over to York, it is £24 + 25p/mile.

We have clubs over towards Pocklington. Interested?

Back