A&H

Remember to actually show the card when cautioning!

The Referee Store
Yes, it’s poor because the showing of the first yellow card would have saved a bit of hassle in the end... but the showing of a yellow card is not a caution - it is merely a form of communicating to all that a player has been cautioned. The caution itself is the recording of the sanction after the offence has occurred. Without actually looking at the LOTG, I’m not sure if the showing of a card is mandatory... I’m being a bit lazy here and not checking.

That is why you should proper procedures - inform the player he has been cautioned, take his name, and then show the card. If he had been told how does the problem exist?

Yes, it’s poor because the showing of the first yellow card would have saved a bit of hassle in the end... but the showing of a yellow card is not a caution - it is merely a form of communicating to all that a player has been cautioned. The caution itself is the recording of the sanction after the offence has occurred. Without actually looking at the LOTG, I’m not sure if the showing of a card is mandatory... I’m being a bit lazy here and not checking.
In the latest laws it seems that a yellow card must be shown for a sin bin:
The referee will indicate a temporary dismissal by showing a yellow card (YC) and then clearly pointing with both arms to the temporary dismissal area.

Elsewhere it is less clear. Red and yellow cards are part of the referee's compulsory equipment so it would seem that they have to be used but the laws only say: The yellow card communicates a caution and the red card communicates a sending-off, not that they must be shown.

However, in the glossary it states:
Caution: Official sanction which results in a report to a disciplinary authority; indicated by showing a yellow card.

In the Introduction to current laws it says: The Laws embody the unacceptability of unsafe play in their disciplinary phrases, e.g. ‘reckless challenge’ (caution = yellow card/ YC)

So whilst nowhere is it explicitly said in the laws themselves that a yellow card must be shown for a caution (apart from sin bin offences) it is certainly strongly indicated and probably best to...

My thoughts exactly @McTavish . Thanks for taking the time to have a read and quote the laws :)

At the end of the day, the referee hear caused confusion by not following the process that we are all taught on day one of the Basic Referees Course. It’s bit him in the arse here. I’m sure that when he sees this clip back, he will see the error of his ways and it will be something he improves in his next game.

To be totally honest, despite the clear dissent and the fact it definitely should have been a yellow, I'm on the players side here. It actually looks to me like the referee changed his mind about showing a card, but then got confused in the second half because he'd written the name in his book before changing his mind.

You can see after talking to him, he gestures to send the number 11 away without showing a card. That's very unusual I think - I understand if the player walks away or the ref gets distracted, he might forget to show the card, but to consciously send the player away without doing so doesn't seem like something you could do?

Then after the player moves away from him, he turns and answers a question from the player in white behind him (possibly "why wasn't that a yellow ref?"). He then goes and says something else to the number 11 before restarting play - whatever he said at this point, you'd assume it it was clarifying if it was a caution or not. For the player to be so surprised when the red comes out in the second half, whatever he said, it can't have been clear and may have actually been wrong.

Having said that, I do notice he has neutral AR's. You'd hope they would have discussed at half time if a caution was issued or not - but again, maybe he looked in his book, saw the name and said yes even if he didn't mean to at the time. We don't know how busy the rest of the half was - if he's had a lot to do, it's very possible his intention had slipped his mind as well.

Ignoring whether a card show is required, the player looks genuinely bemused at the red. He's either a good actor or he wasn't told he had been cautioned. Which def IS required

Reactions: DB
Back