A&H

Ross County v Aberdeen

The Referee Store
VAR recommended Red

would love to know peoples thoughts.

Never sure with this forum, I’m torn.
Personally feel this wouldnt be recommended in the EPL. (Dont obviously have anything to base that on)
I think it’s a red. Studs contacting the leg a good bit above the ankle endangering the opponent. Any lower probably yellow but just high enough for red imo.

The commentator mentions him “winning the ball so cleanly” but he’s got to be in control of where his foot goes after winning the ball.

I am torn. Sometimes I hate being a referee cause I can’t see things without the goggles on.

I don’t think it should be personally but also I do. Nice and simple

Red Card for me. Player clearly challenging for the ball using excessive force.
Force is high. Contact is to the shin. Easy red card on replay...

I’ll risk giving my opinion! Football contact imho, a player has only intent in playing the ball, it is a natural follow through of kicking a football, unfortunately an opponent’s shin was in the wrong place/wrong time, not excessive force. Taking a still shot is misleading. I will be intrigued if it is appealed as I would expect an independent review to be successful, we’ll see?

That’s a clear red, the ball is close enough to the offending player that he doesn’t need to use such force to play the ball, he’s shaking his head but I think he’s taken an opportunity to give someone a good hiding.

Based on the still (as I am geolocked from the video), I think VAR is expected to send that down as a red in almost every league in the world—high studs first contact. (I’ve given up predicting what is expected in the PL…) Intent isn’t the standard; players going in hard are responsible for controlling themselves so that they don’t make this kind of hard studs contact with opponents.

That’s a clear red, the ball is close enough to the offending player that he doesn’t need to use such force to play the ball, he’s shaking his head but I think he’s taken an opportunity to give someone a good hiding.
Exactly this. He's early enough to the ball that he could have just played it standing - the weird crouch-swipe-straighten leg stinks of him trying l to disguise deliberate contact.

Last edited:
No idea if it's a red card or not because the game is not played in slow motion

Saw this at real time speed and it only got worse in repeat viewing.

It’s an easy, one-footed slide challenge and the ball goes out for a throw. The bent leg and raised foot is totally unnecessary; it’s not a “fully committed” tackle, and if anything it’s intended to make the Ross player back out.

The risk factor pushed me towards red, the point of contact selling me entirely.

Just like the Referee in the game, I'm betting the vast majority of us wouldn't have even considered a dismissal for this tackle in real-time
Like the commentator states, 'it looks horrible in slow motion, IT ALWAYS DOES'
AFAIK, VAR is prohibited from using slow motion when intensity / excessive force is the consideration

I don't have a problem with the red card as such, I'm just saying... armchair reffing is not the same as reffing

Last edited:
Back