A&H

Selection evening

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Been invited to a selection evening for 3w/3w-2w in June.

I’ve been told there’s a practical and technical element but otherwise no info.

What should I expect from the evening? Unlike the fitness test there doesn’t seem a lot of info out there about them.

The Referee Store
Been invited to a selection evening for 3w/3w-2w in June.

I’ve been told there’s a practical and technical element but otherwise no info.

What should I expect from the evening? Unlike the fitness test there doesn’t seem a lot of info out there about them.
Technical element is likely to be a laws of the game exam + Clip Analysis.

Practical... Usually equates to fitness.

Can't say for sure as haven't had any experience of the Women's Pathway.

Technical element is likely to be a laws of the game exam + Clip Analysis.

Practical... Usually equates to fitness.

Can't say for sure as haven't had any experience of the Women's Pathway.
That’s about what I was expecting, thank you!

Congrats on the opportunity
Thanks :) not sure if it’s because I’m on the pathway or if my county have put my name up now there’s a realistic prospect of me getting it?

Heard nothing from the FA all season and then a flurry of emails this last month about fitness tests and this evening in June

I'm not sure what's happening exactly because previously I was advised the selection events would only be for referees who have at least 1 year's experience on the WNL.

Something like:
  • Fitness assessment failed = 3WAR (WNL assistant only)
  • Fitness assessment passed = 3W, and invited to selection event if 1+ year WNL experience
  • Selection events determine which ~55 referees go into the 3W-2W promotion pool
I have no WNL experience and waiting to hear if I am being promoted to 3W, but have received the selection events invitation. Don't mind going along though even if not eligible for the pool.

I'm not sure what's happening exactly because previously I was advised the selection events would only be for referees who have at least 1 year's experience on the WNL.

Something like:
  • Fitness assessment passed = 3W, and invited to selection event if 1+ year WNL experience
  • Selection events determine which ~55 referees go into the 3W-2W promotion pool
I have no WNL experience and waiting to hear if I am being promoted to 3W, but have received the selection events invitation. Don't mind going along though even if not eligible for the pool.
Yes this was my impression, I might go for the experience anyhow. If you end up at Southampton or Bristol ones let me know and I’ll try and say hello!

Something like:
If you pass the assessment but haven't got the required experience (1 Yr @ WNL) then you will still be able to Referee National League Games.

I bumped into a ref i've known for many years but have not seen for a long time (he moved away). He'd been promoted to level 3 a couple of years ago.

He's so fit it's unbeleivable. Even in the last 5 minutes of games he's sprinting at full pace. He has some special diet where he only eats carbs on Sundays.

He was reffing 4 games a weekend and he told me he covered around ten miles a game (some fitness tracker thing he uses).

I bumped into a ref i've known for many years but have not seen for a long time (he moved away). He'd been promoted to level 3 a couple of years ago.

He's so fit it's unbeleivable. Even in the last 5 minutes of games he's sprinting at full pace. He has some special diet where he only eats carbs on Sundays.

He was reffing 4 games a weekend and he told me he covered around ten miles a game (some fitness tracker thing he uses).
If his body can manage it without burning out or causing damage then all power to him!

Not sure of the relevance to the thread or if you meant to post this here, but if his fitness tracker tells him he's running 10 miles a game he's either using a very inaccurate tracker, not being truthful or doing too much running at uncecessary times. I run too much sometimes in games, and I only cover around 12km (7.5 miles) max.

Not sure of the relevance to the thread or if you meant to post this here, but if his fitness tracker tells him he's running 10 miles a game he's either using a very inaccurate tracker, not being truthful or doing too much running at uncecessary times. I run too much sometimes in games, and I only cover around 12km (7.5 miles) max.
Yeah I aim for around 10 KM in an average open age game. 16 seems excessive

I "lined" for him 2 or 3 times many moons ago and he used to run goal-line to goal-line.

He also does those exterme sports where you swim, run and cycle. A real PT enthusiast.

I "lined" for him 2 or 3 times many moons ago and he used to run goal-line to goal-line.

He also does those exterme sports where you swim, run and cycle. A real PT enthusiast.
I'm not disputing the truth of what you're saying. But my point is, more running doesn't always mean better refereeing. Like I say, some of my running in games is unnecessary.

I'm not disputing the truth of what you're saying. But my point is, more running doesn't always mean better refereeing. Like I say, some of my running in games is unnecessary.
I think he was the type of guy that did "over do it" and some of it semed a little excessive to me.

Check the GPS refresh rate.
Over ten km highly unusual. Over 12 km by Garmin/Polar tracking would mean bizarre unecessary running IMHO. Got a video?

Since we're having a fun little chat about distances, I realised I was idling too much, and really letting my proximity from play drop. Avg. per game went from 7-8km to 9-10km once I began to make the effort to change this.

Learnt a few lessons this season in being fit enough vs fit

Last edited:
Back