A&H

Selection evening

The Referee Store
Since we're having a fun little chat about distances, I realised I was idling too much, and really letting my proximity from play drop. Avg. per game went from 7-8km to 9-10km once I began to make the effort to change this.

Learnt a few lessons this season in being fit enough vs fit
Couldn’t have put it better than that last line myself. Always thought I was fit enough and used to get occasional compliments about my fitness. Now I almost always get marked up on fitness (by clubs and observers) and I feel far more able to get to counter attacks quickly!

As others have said, simply running what seems like a marathon doesn't necessarily make you a good referee. If anything, it can be a sign of the opposite, as you're having to make up for poor positioning with extra movement!

I really don't see how anyone could run 16km in a game, at least not whilst refereeing it properly. They'd have to average running 10.7 km/h over the 90 minutes, and there will be lots of points where you can't run at all.

Even in the fastest game I ever refereed, an EFL U23 game on a huge pitch that was completely end to end, I only got to 12.5km. And back then I was very fit and got a lot of praise for how I was always on top of decisions in that game, but I was completely drained after and had nothing left in the tank.

Since we're having a fun little chat about distances, I realised I was idling too much, and really letting my proximity from play drop. Avg. per game went from 7-8km to 9-10km once I began to make the effort to change this.

Learnt a few lessons this season in being fit enough vs fit
Yeah this makes a big difference too, easier to keep moving consistently over walk-sprint over and over

Back