A&H

Sin Bin question (again)

The Referee Store
Didn’t realise that, I’d assumed it was cumpolsary
It certainly was in Essex where quite a few leagues are using them. We were given 3 options to go to a training day, another two options to view an online meeting session and then provided with a recording to watch of one of those videos. I have to say that a few of the things the trainer said aren't supported exactly, but there's no doubt we were given lots of opportunities to be trained.

Guys not with the sin bin rule yet but just thinking of scenarios , player decent gives you reason to sin bin him , he then refuses to go off ,do you then show a second yellow sin bin and he spends 20 mins off so he then can’t return meaning he’s substituted if they have not used there permitted substitutions ?

Guys not with the sin bin rule yet but just thinking of scenarios , player decent gives you reason to sin bin him , he then refuses to go off ,do you then show a second yellow sin bin and he spends 20 mins off so he then can’t return meaning he’s substituted if they have not used there permitted substitutions ?

Try and manage it. If he is not going or really taking his time, then caution him for delaying the restart (like a sub going out really slow). Again urge him to go and let him know if he doesn't there will be a second yellow and a red. Get the captain involved (if he is not already). Still not going, then a second yellow for delaying the restart. And send him off. He is now a sent off player and if still refusing to go let them know match will be abandoned. Follow through if he doesn't go.

Alternatively you can make the second yellow as dissent* and again he will becomes a sent off player (but can be replaced after 10 or 20 minutes).

*The law is not clear if an already sin binned player can be sin binned while in the bin (which he is considered to be after you tell him to go) and if so times are served concurrently or sequentially.

Try and manage it. If he is not going or really taking his time, then caution him for delaying the restart (like a sub going out really slow). Again urge him to go and let him know if he doesn't there will be a second yellow and a red. Get the captain involved (if he is not already). Still not going, then a second yellow for delaying the restart. And send him off. He is now a sent off player and if still refusing to go let them know match will be abandoned. Follow through if he doesn't go.

Alternatively you can make the second yellow as dissent* and again he will becomes a sent off player (but can be replaced after 10 or 20 minutes).

*The law is not clear if an already sin binned player can be sin binned while in the bin (which he is considered to be after you tell him to go) and if so times are served concurrently or sequentially.
We were told on our course that a yellow card (including dissent) to a player in the sin bin will just be a standard caution and has no bearing on the current sin bin i.e not an additional 10 minutes on top. Essentially you act in the same manner as cautioning a substitute

We were told on our course that a yellow card (including dissent) to a player in the sin bin will just be a standard caution and has no bearing on the current sin bin i.e not an additional 10 minutes on top. Essentially you act in the same manner as cautioning a substitute
Yeah, this. Once you show the card and point, the player is by law in the sin bin, even if he's still stood on the pitch. My understanding that any player cautioned while in the sin bin should just have it treated as a "classic" caution, even if it's for dissent. So sequence of events is as follows:

*Player is sin binned
*Player refuses to leave the FOP
*Player is cautioned for dissent by action. This brings him to one sin bin and one standard caution.
---->If he now chooses to go off, he can serve his 10 minutes and then come back on
---->If he still refuses to leave, you show a second caution for dissent by action, followed by a red. Same as any other red card, if this doesn't get him off the FOP, threaten abandonment.

Nice and simple......

I have been doing a bit of scanning of the LOTG (as everyone should from time to time :) . Learnt something new about sin bin which has been the subject of discussion here in two threads and I don't remember anyone getting this.

1547728231274.png

So if you sin bin a player and he dissents (or any other cautionable offence) while serving the period, he is gone and can't be replaced.

I have been doing a bit of scanning of the LOTG (as everyone should from time to time :) . Learnt something new about sin bin which has been the subject of discussion here in two threads and I don't remember anyone getting this.

View attachment 2909

So if you sin bin a player and he dissents (or any other cautionable offence) while serving the period, he is gone and can't be replaced.
I may be wrong but I’m reading this as a cautionable offence as something other than dissent ? although you show a yellow for a sin bin it’s not registered as a caution (fine) it’s just part of the sin bin process ?

I may be wrong but I’m reading this as a cautionable offence as something other than dissent ? although you show a yellow for a sin bin it’s not registered as a caution (fine) it’s just part of the sin bin process ?
If you read it within the context of the entire guidelines it means any cautionable offence listed within the rest of the book including dissent.

The guidelines do not specify what offences attract sin bin. there are two system. In one all cautions are sin binned. Using your logic then all cautions will be exempted.

In the second system the FAs choose which cautions to bin. That doesn't change that fact that they are all still cautionable offences (that's my take anyway). For example if FA chooses to bin for simulation and dissent. You bin someone for simulation, he dissents in the bin, he is gone.

If you read it within the context of the entire guidelines it means any cautionable offence listed within the rest of the book including dissent.

The guidelines do not specify what offences attract sin bin. there are two system. In one all cautions are sin binned. Using your logic then all cautions will be exempted.

In the second system the FAs choose which cautions to bin. That doesn't change that fact that they are all still cautionable offences (that's my take anyway). For example if FA chooses to bin for simulation and dissent. You bin someone for simulation, he dissents in the bin, he is gone.
Now you put it like that I must admit I agree with you .
Thanks for the reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: one

But that would only apply on a second cautionable offence surely? So for example, the player gets cautioned for dissent and goes in the sin bin and then 5 minutes into it walks onto the pitch. He gets a booking for entering without permission, surely he’s still allowed back on after the time is up? This seems to suggest that his game is over without he second sin bin?

But that would only apply on a second cautionable offence surely?
Nope. The wording is clear. Any cautionable offence while in the bin. I think it makes sense. If you are in the bin, you must be on your best behaviour or you are gone.

So for example, the player gets cautioned for dissent and goes in the sin bin and then 5 minutes into it walks onto the pitch. He gets a booking for entering without permission, surely he’s still allowed back on after the time is up?
No. Again I am fairly certain the wording of the clause is clear on this. The clause is under a heading "Offences before/during/after a temporary dismissal" which independent of what system is used for sin bin.

The people who sit around tables introducing this sin bin must realise the referees who manage
games on a grass roots Saturday and sunday leagues ref on their own, have club linesman, abuse from managers
and players, must realise what time do we get to keep looking at watches for this sin bin nonsense.
I get paid £30.00 a match not enough for what we do, stick to what we know best (y) and (r) cards work for me every time.

Last edited:
I would imagine (hope?) that sin bins would remain an option (or at least an option to opt out) rather than a mandatory Law.

In the US, high school has its own rules that they uses instead of the LOTG. (Though they are 95% the same.) One of the high school rules has long been a rule, with some tweaks at different times, that a cautioned player must be subbed out of the game. (US high school soccer lets subs leave the game and re-enter as many times as they want. That rule is manageable even for a solo ref as the only restriction is the cautioned player can't come in until the next sub opportunity.)

I would imagine (hope?) that sin bins would remain an option (or at least an option to opt out) rather than a mandatory Law.

In the US, high school has its own rules that they uses instead of the LOTG. (Though they are 95% the same.) One of the high school rules has long been a rule, with some tweaks at different times, that a cautioned player must be subbed out of the game. (US high school soccer lets subs leave the game and re-enter as many times as they want. That rule is manageable even for a solo ref as the only restriction is the cautioned player can't come in until the next sub opportunity.)
Sin bins at grass roots as of next season are mandatory .

My understanding was IFAB gave permission to trial this last season and due to its success the FA have made the decision to make this mandatory at grassroots rather than the IFAB

That makes sense, as the Laws currently give discretion to the FA. It will be interesting to see if there are any tweaks to the sin bin in the Laws this year.

Back