A&H

Sin Bin yellow cards

In all seriousness at what point should a referee consider hanging up their whistle if they are actively not following the LOTG?

I overheard a conversation between a (supposedly) qualified referee (off duty at the time) and a parent recently where the 'referee' was spouting all sorts of rubbish about which LOTG he does and doesn't abide by as it's 'kids football, not the premier league'. I had to walk away when he said he had the power to give spectators a red card and that kicking a corner flag was classed as an act of criminal damage.

The Referee Store
Sin bins are not mandatory in my local league,thankfully. And my refereeing is simply a hobby to stay involved in grassroots and get a touch of extra fitness in. I really dont take it too seriously beyond the match time.

This attitude creates problems for other referees who want to do it properly (and safely). A referee who wears a wedding ring makes it more difficult for next week's ref to get players to remove theirs. If you don't sin bin for dissent next week's referee who does it properly is going to get arguments.

You have a responsibility to the players and your fellow officials to take it seriously at least as far as applying the laws where safety is affected. I reserve the right to condescend to anyone who knowingly makes refereeing more difficult for other people.

Is that a jolly jape about the wedding band debate? Hilarious. Sin bins are not mandatory in my local league,thankfully. And my refereeing is simply a hobby to stay involved in grassroots and get a touch of extra fitness in. I really dont take it too seriously beyond the match time. I'm glad you all enjoy it though. Remember not to be condescending to others though as there are youngsters who may want advice and being patronising is not helpful with that. Happy reffing.
Without being condescending, I just don’t understand how your local league (provided they are registered, as they should be) are not using SinBins? Don’t take this as a question of you, but as a question of what on earth means a league below Step 5 isnt?

I had to walk away when he said he had the power to give spectators a red card
A worrying trend I’ve found. I’ve seen multiple referees, generally younger ones, who claim to be carding spectators to manage poor behaviour, and when challenged on why, they nearly all say it’s taught on the course?

One recent example of this within the past week on RefSupportUK on twitter which kicked up a fuss between referees themselves.

I saw a referee once boast he booked 30+ spectators in a season, so a worrying trend?

A worrying trend I’ve found. I’ve seen multiple referees, generally younger ones, who claim to be carding spectators to manage poor behaviour, and when challenged on why, they nearly all say it’s taught on the course?

One recent example of this within the past week on RefSupportUK on twitter which kicked up a fuss between referees themselves.

I saw a referee once boast he booked 30+ spectators in a season, so a worrying trend?

Hmm bizarre, they strongly discouraged us from engaging with spectators especially so for the younger refs on the course.

Is that a jolly jape about the wedding band debate? Hilarious. Sin bins are not mandatory in my local league,thankfully. And my refereeing is simply a hobby to stay involved in grassroots and get a touch of extra fitness in. I really dont take it too seriously beyond the match time. I'm glad you all enjoy it though. Remember not to be condescending to others though as there are youngsters who may want advice and being patronising is not helpful with that. Happy reffing.
There are only three possible ways that sin bins are not mandatory in your league.

1. It isn't in England, or
2. It isn't sanctioned, in which case you are not allowed to referee on it, or
3. It is adult and above Step 5

Every season leagues have to send their rules to their parent CFA to have them sanctioned. If they have deviated from any of the mandatory Standard Code of Rules (SCoR) sections, of which sin bins is one, they don't get sanctioned.

I suspect you know they are required, but you don't want the hassle so just choose to ignore the requirement, just like you have openly admitted that you ignore laws on jewellery.

Yes, they are.

League's do not have the powers to decide if they are used or not.

ALL grassroots football below step 5 have sin bins.
Do you know what category isthmian u18 is ? As these don’t use sin bins. However, the isthmian u23 did (I believe the u23 league has now folded)

If a league has sides from National League or above academies then sin-bins may not apply.
I never knew that- Thank you.
There are a couple of teams in the league which their first teams play in the national league south, so that could be why ?

Sin bins/misconduct are the only reason I use Refsix at the moment. I enter the number of the player into my watch and it tells me when he needs to come on. That way whenever the player commits further infraction Refsix will tell me the next steps with that player.

Back