A&H

Sin Bin yellow cards

The Referee Store
The one thing that stands out about all this for me is this. We often play in the worst weather months of the year with the temperature plummeting below zero and rain or hail and such. I really don't think we should be sending a child off to stand around for 10 minutes in those situations. Yellow is a caution and a Red is a removal from the pitch permanental. Anything else is meddling where none is needed,in my opinion.
They'll be colder stood on the pitch half assed running around than on the sideline in a coat or jacket.

I wish I could conduct myself in this manner 🤣
Just Google 'define c0cksure' replacing the 0 with an o, then stand in front of the mirror and practice it day in, day out
Don't worry about the impact on your Club Marks..........

Fortunately my league doesnt use sin bins and having spoken to two trainers before my under 15s match they are glad of it too. It only needs some game management starting with a quick word,then a yellow if it continues and another yellow equalling red if it goes beyond that. In mini football I'd rather just get the coach to substitute the player. After mini football just use the normal LOTG of cautions and sendings off. Sin bins are just unnecessary meddling. As a referee you are going to get some form of dissent in most games so you need to develop a thick skin and use cards,but only the traditional two.

So on that basis you don't allow players to be subbed off as they might get cold?

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on here, and that is saying something.
I'd rather send them home by giving them a red than this unnecessary sin bin guff. A sin bin could just as well be replaced with a substitution given there is mostly roll on roll off in most youth football. My sin bin comment was because I thought it meant some form of isolation area but people are saying its just like an enforced substitution,which is much better. You could still show a yellow but the next card would be a red and not another 'cop out' yellow.

I'd rather send them home by giving them a red than this unnecessary sin bin guff.

Mate, you've picked the wrong part of football to be involved in. You should have gone down the administrator route and tried to get on a league or competition committee so you can write the rules instead of being a referee who is tasked with implementing them.

I'd rather send them home by giving them a red than this unnecessary sin bin guff. A sin bin could just as well be replaced with a substitution given there is mostly roll on roll off in most youth football. My sin bin comment was because I thought it meant some form of isolation area but people are saying its just like an enforced substitution,which is much better. You could still show a yellow but the next card would be a red and not another 'cop out' yellow.
The point of a sin bin is that it is a punishment to the player and their team. If you allow that player to be substituted, the team or player are never going to learn. To add to that, say the team sub the player and then bring him/her back on after 30 seconds; what do you do then?

Sin bins can be difficult to manage at times, and from what I've seen, they are used fairly sparingly. (there's probably another discussion to be had as to whether they should be used more) But an arguement of players might get cold is a bit ridiculous. The subs and goalkeepers are likely to get cold as they're not running around, but that's what you sign up for if you want to play outdoor sports in the middle of winter. If they want to stay warm, I'd suggest Futsal or a summer sport like Cricket.

To add to that, if conditions are that bad that players getting cold could be seen as a child welfare issue (I've certainly had that in youth games during hailstone downpours), I'd suggest suspending, ending or not starting the game.

It may well be for the reasons you describe above but from my own experience, I haven't had to use it nearly as much as previously simply because I've found the verbal threat (from myself) of 10 mins in the bin more often than not serves as the deterrent. :)

Exactly this. I can't remember the last time I sin binned a player because when you give them a final warning they shut up. And their team mates tell them to cut it out. I definitely haven't sin binned this season or last.

Fortunately my league doesnt use sin bins
I may be wrong, but I remembered you saying you referee in North West England?

U15 will be grassroots, so if you’re league is affiliated and the teams are registered; which they certainly should be, how are they not using SinBins. I thought that was a requirement at Step 5 and below - nationally.

Last edited:
Fortunately my league doesnt use sin bins and having spoken to two trainers before my under 15s match they are glad of it too. It only needs some game management starting with a quick word,then a yellow if it continues and another yellow equalling red if it goes beyond that. In mini football I'd rather just get the coach to substitute the player. After mini football just use the normal LOTG of cautions and sendings off. Sin bins are just unnecessary meddling. As a referee you are going to get some form of dissent in most games so you need to develop a thick skin and use cards,but only the traditional two.
Assuming you are in England sin bins are mandatory for most levels and age groups.

There's no point reasoning he's formed an opinion without knowing how sin-bins work. His position has become more entrenched, let him keep digging.

There are plenty of refs who don't use sin-bins unfortunately.

Law 5 is optional is his league too apparently so who knows what rules are followed?
Is that a jolly jape about the wedding band debate? Hilarious. Sin bins are not mandatory in my local league,thankfully. And my refereeing is simply a hobby to stay involved in grassroots and get a touch of extra fitness in. I really dont take it too seriously beyond the match time. I'm glad you all enjoy it though. Remember not to be condescending to others though as there are youngsters who may want advice and being patronising is not helpful with that. Happy reffing.

If I am completely honest, one of the reasons I don’t use the sin bin more is the mental strain it puts on my very small brain to remember the implications of the various combinations of sin bin with conventional yellow card and having to recall all this at the same time I am looking to see which player got what when and how many of each and did I even remember to let them back on the FoP from the last occurrence or have they given up and just gone to the pub!

Back