A&H

Sin bins

No sin bins for an acaedemy friendly tomorrow I've been told.

Suits me - ease myself in gently as its my first game back - AR btw.

The Referee Store
Players/managers shouldn't need training on how they would be punished if they do something wrong (I don't mind them being trained on not doing anything wrong)

If they committed dissent in the past they were punished. If they do it in the future they are still punished, just differently. The only person needing training is the person who is dishing it out, not the person receiving it.

Change of punishment in the past (e.g. DOGSO) did not need training for players, why should this.

Last edited:
So, consequences for the officials but not for club secs / players. Another one way street!
In my leagues, every club were told that they need a representative from the club to attend before fixtures were assigned to them. I guess it’s based on how the County FA want to deal with it

To be fair, as match officials we need to be trained, because we need to know when to put someone in the sin bin, how long for (it varies depending on the length of the match), what happens in the event of the different combinations of cards, what happens if the player commits another offence whilst in the sin bin etc etc.

While players and club officials need an understanding of the changes, its not a big on an issue is Bazza doesn't know how long he has to sit down for, but it is if the referee doesn't.

I issued approx 10 bins last season. I always warned players I would use it in pre match. Another thing I did was shout out 2 minutes left on the bin to the player so he had time to warm up. Then waved player on while shouting bin over
Be prepared to asked every minute though how long is left on the bin! Lol

I issued approx 10 bins last season. I always warned players I would use it in pre match. Another thing I did was shout out 2 minutes left on the bin to the player so he had time to warm up. Then waved player on while shouting bin over
You see, this is how you prepare and deal with it. You rationalise out the likely issues, take proactive steps to mitigate them as much as possible and then when they occur, no one can say you didn't warn them what was going to happen.

Saw my first sin bin in action tonight. Was on the line, didn't give a tight offside, next break in play the defender that had played the attacker on decided to congratulate me on a fantastic decision from 30 yards away. Ref gets him over and bins him. For the last 9 minutes of the game he's stood behind me in the dugout area and I didn't hear a peep from him.

Stoppage team would also need to be added to that aswell

Last edited:
There wouldn’t necessarily be two minutes left though as stoppages would need to be added if any to that time ? I personally wouldn’t be shouting it but that’s my preference
The bin is 10 minutes including any stoppage time but not including halftime, the same way as in rugby (bin time is real time), different from the way in hockey (bin time is match clock time).
Unless the two-minute call is made less than two minutes before the end of a half (or end of a half of ET) there's no concern. In that event, the referee can indicate the time remaining from the start of the next period of play before they might re-enter the field (after receiving permission from the referee).

The bin is 10 minutes including any stoppage time but not including halftime, the same way as in rugby (bin time is real time), different from the way in hockey (bin time is match clock time).
Unless the two-minute call is made less than two minutes before the end of a half (or end of a half of ET) there's no concern. In that event, the referee can indicate the time remaining from the start of the next period of play before they might re-enter the field (after receiving permission from the referee).

No it isn't, as per the other thread. Using an example, if a player gets a 10 minute sin bin and there is a 2 minute injury stoppage during that time they will spend 12 minutes elapsed time in there, of which 10 minutes is playing time.

I have a question about sin bin for a dissent.

On this site:

https://www.suffolkfa.com/about/rules-and-regulations/sin-bins

It's information:
How
  • The referee will record the name of the offending player
  • A yellow card will be issued
So regards to this, when a player make a dissent I should give him a yellow card, and send him for 10 minutes for sin bin. Then when he return and did foul for a card, I should give him second yellow card but not red card? Or when he made a dissent I should send him to sin bin without yellow card?

Last edited:
If a player is guilty of dissent then you show a yellow card and send him to the sin bin for the correct amount of time.

If that player later commits a foul then he gets a caution but can stay on the pitch.

if he commits another foul then he gets a yellow and then red card.

if he gets another sin bin he goes off and can’t come back on, but is not shown a red card.

move attached a picture of a card I was given at a training event when sun bins were first rolled out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
If a player is guilty of dissent then you show a yellow card and send him to the sin bin for the correct amount of time.

If that player later commits a foul then he gets a caution but can stay on the pitch.

if he commits another foul then he gets a yellow and then red card.

if he gets another sin bin he goes off and can’t come back on, but is not shown a red card.

move attached a picture of a card I was given at a training event when sun bins were first rolled out.
The way I think about it is that the dissent caution no longer counts as a caution when determining a red. So apart from the fact that an individual player can't return after two dissent cautions, no red card would be shown. If they pick up other cautions for foul tackles, delaying restart, etc. those count as normal.

Back