A&H

Sin Bins

On another note, had my 3rd one today, and it's the 3rd time players have told me I'm wrong on protocol - some suggesting you show a different coloured card, others saying you show no card. Mad how none of them know or are informed.

Although wrong, they do seem to have more sense than IFAB; since a temporary dismissal is different to a caution, it would make sense to show a different coloured card.

The Referee Store
Although wrong, they do seem to have more sense than IFAB; since a temporary dismissal is different to a caution, it would make sense to show a different coloured card.

Oh I completely agree with that, but it just baffles me how few players actually know what the correct protocol is

Had multiple meetings about sin bins and were told on numerous occasions to hold the yellow up with one hand whilst pointing to the sideline with the other. In another meeting in another league was told, show the card briefly then use both arms to point to the sidelines. In the new laws of the game it does state that latter

Do you need to keep a record of or report any sin bins?
Yes. You’ll need to record them so that you know when the player can come back on, youll also need to report it on the whole game system too

You still show a yellow card for a sin bin, whilst pointing at the touchline at the same time.
Yes. You’ll need to record them so that you know when the player can come back on, youll also need to report it on the whole game system too
What about if your only linesman for a match. Do you need to add a match on the whole game system? Or is this only for the referee to add?

What about if your only linesman for a match. Do you need to add a match on the whole game system? Or is this only for the referee to add?
You only need to do it if you have something to report.
There is an option for no discipline but I never add a game on if there is nothing to report.

You only need to do it if you have something to report.
There is an option for no discipline but I never add a game on if there is nothing to report.
Yes, that makes sense. I've done a game on the line and I didn;t have anything to report so thought I wouldn't add it because the ref's going to add it anyway. Anyway, I'm doing my first game as a ref this week and you've clarified some things for me.
I just have a few more queries :-
Will the team sheet be provided by the home club? Or is there a template I should be printing out?
I've got the cards and match record sheet. Is there any other paperwork I need?
Also, I was wondering where do we record the substitutions? Would that be on the team sheet?
Thanks for the help mate!

Yes, that makes sense. I've done a game on the line and I didn;t have anything to report so thought I wouldn't add it because the ref's going to add it anyway. Anyway, I'm doing my first game as a ref this week and you've clarified some things for me.
Will the team sheet be provided by the home club? Or is there a template I should be printing out?
Also, I was wondering where do we record the substitutions? Would that be on the team sheet?
You'd need to speak to someone one the BDFL for the finer tune match day stuff.

As James says, different leagues do team sheets different ways. I do two sunday leagues - one has separate sheets for both teams, which must be given to the ref before the start.

The other provides one sheet that both teams fill in, but no requirement to provide to the Referee at all. I go to both teams and ask for their team names before the start so I can fill my match record card in.

I record subs on the match record card as I go along. Neither league requires the Referee to put names of subs played down, although we are required to keep the team sheet from the one league for several months in case there's any dispute.

Go to the league website - this link has the forms

https://www.birminghamafa.co.uk/downloads

At the top of the downloads page is the league rules. In that it states:
"The Home team shall provide a match sheet, which will be completed by both teams including the forename(s) and surname of all players and substitutes (in block letters). The match sheet shall be handed to the referee not later than ten minutes before kick-off of the Competition Match. "

Back