A&H

Sin Bins

The Referee Store
Across all ages I assume. As it's not yet 11 v 11, they spend 8 minutes in the sin bin should it be necessary.

Across all ages I assume. As it's not yet 11 v 11, they spend 8 minutes in the sin bin should it be necessary.
I can't possibly imagine a C2 in small-sided football, but U10's play for 50mins, so the SB would be 5mins

I thought sin bins for all matches less than 90 mins was 8 mins. Not heard of 5 mins. And sin bins applies to all ages, if they can give it they can take it

That’s correct, all games less than 90 minutes are an 8 minute sin bin

My understanding is that in matches of 90 minute duration the sin bin time is 10 minutes and all other match durations are 8 minutes irrespective of the age of the participants.

Seconded. The age is irrelevant, it is the length of game that determines the sin bin duration.
I dont disagree. But this is at odds with the FAs website as shown in the screenshot I uploaded last night.

I dont disagree. But this is at odds with the FAs website as shown in the screenshot I uploaded last night.

They've just tried to simplify it by assuming that all adult football is 90 minutes and all youth football less. Generally that's right, but some youth football will of course still be 90 minutes.

Having read the 2019 laws of the game, it does conflict with all training received to date for sin bins. ie as above, all games less than 90 mins would be 8 min sin bin. The laws of the game just refer to a percentage, between 10 and 15%. Without being picky, an under 8 game which is 40 mins, shouldn't have a sin bin any longer than 6 mins. Yes it's under 8's and you could argue you shouldn't use it in those games.

Yes it's under 8's and you could argue you shouldn't use it in those games.
I'd like to hear this argument. Why should players at any level, in particular where defined by age, not be sin-binned for an offence where it is applicable, in particular dissent?

Genuine question, some dissent doesn’t deserve a sin bin, it deserves carding, firstly yellows and at very worst reds for the nastier stuff (OIA). Can you go straight to cards or is sin bin now the go to naughty step option??

Genuine question, some dissent doesn’t deserve a sin bin, it deserves carding, firstly yellows and at very worst reds for the nastier stuff (OIA). Can you go straight to cards or is sin bin now the go to naughty step option??

We've been taught to use the sin bin in the same way as you would do a yellow card any previous season i.e. you can still do the stepped approach or whatever you see fit, but if you would have carded them last season, you sin bin them now.

On another note, had my 3rd one today, and it's the 3rd time players have told me I'm wrong on protocol - some suggesting you show a different coloured card, others saying you show no card. Mad how none of them know or are informed.

You still show a yellow card for a sin bin, whilst pointing at the touchline at the same time.

Back