A&H

Sunny Singh Gill - Palace Vs Luton

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Sunny Singh Gill ref'd his first Premier League game yesterday taking charge of Crystal Palace Vs Luton.

The main talking point from his first game seems not from his on pitch performance, but his reported decision to sign autographs as he left the pitch at half time.

Former PL ref and now the face of refereeing for Sky Sports Mike Dean described the decision as "Bang out of order".

Can't say I have heard of referees being asked for or agreeing to autographs before, during or after a game before.

The Referee Store
It isn't a good look doing it at half time to be honest. Before the game yes, even after the game, but not at half time. Not sure it could be described as bang out of order though.

It isn't a good look doing it at half time to be honest. Before the game yes, even after the game, but not at half time. Not sure it could be described as bang out of order though.

Only if you(not saying you personally but in general) have doubts about his integrity? I mean no doubt people will think that but most people won't surely.

Only if you(not saying you personally but in general) have doubts about his integrity? I mean no doubt people will think that but most people won't surely.
That wasn't the angle I was going down, more that it is the middle of the game and he should be getting back in the changing room with his team to prepare for the second half. Similar to how you don't usually see players signing autographs at half time.

Never watched the game or highlights to know of his performance but did see he was wearing a wrist lanyard as well as a finger grip. Don’t think I’ve seen that before

1710079681296.png

i've only seen him ref once so cannot say much but his dad - well, he was a bit special.

Saw him ref at Priestfield a few times and he never disappointed. I'm not sure his kids will out-perform him.

That wasn't the angle I was going down, more that it is the middle of the game and he should be getting back in the changing room with his team to prepare for the second half. Similar to how you don't usually see players signing autographs at half time.

Spot on. I have no issue with the concept of a referee signing autographs. In fact, I think it's a great way to inspire a new generation, but doing it at half time just opens the door for people to bash you if things go wrong second half. If you're walking off at half time and you see someone approach for an autograph, in my opinion the answer should be 'I'd love to sign it for you if you still want it at the end of the game'.

Then again, I don't think I'll ever be in that position! 😆

i've only seen him ref once so cannot say much but his dad - well, he was a bit special.

Saw him ref at Priestfield a few times and he never disappointed. I'm not sure his kids will out-perform him.
That doesn't sound very glowing ! lol

Whatever a referee does that garners attention will be met with ‘making the game about themselves’. Not a lot you can do in that regard. Maybe he could’ve done it at FT yes… but also if he inspired a new couple of people to take up reffing, then that’s also a massive plus for the game imo

I think it's been blown out of proportion by Mike "all about me" Dean.

I think the ref just got swept up by a couple of young kids who would have been asking absolutely everyone for an autograph.

But I would argue that a player would get the same level of scrutiny by the shouty old men on Soccer Saturday if they were signing autographs at half time and then went on to lose the game. (I do concede however that players are known to give away shirts at HT, but clubs seem to be clamping down on this).

For me it's all about professionalism, as well as not giving off the impression of "job done", and then when referees are involved = integrity.

I don't think this is a damned if you do, damned it you don't situation because no one expects him to sign an autograph, especially at half time.

All in all, just a bit of a poor decision by Sunny but didn't need Mike Dean calling him out for it.

I think the whole point of refereeing is to try and be the ultimate grey man when you can be. So the fact he's given people a talking point is not ideal.

But at the same time, he is a minority having a real impact in the football community. So I guess publicity is what you want.

Catch 22 for a referee, you want high visibility of you being non visible.

I think a referee signing autographs is fantastic. But not at half time.
Singh Gill is an absolute hero and I am going to forgive him this one indiscretion.

You get asked by a couple of kids who obviously look up to you to sign autographs at half time. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We live in a society that the majority would look into as much wrong as they can find with referees.

In hindsight he'd prob be better to let the kids know call me out at full time and I'll do it. But you don't know if you are going to be in a situation where you want to get out of there asap. He had to make a decision and possibly the first think coming to mine was I don't want to disappoint these kids.

I'm sure there are a lot more important talking points about a referee's first PL game, here or in other media than him signing autographs.

Lucky he had his shirt tucked in otherwise there would have been uproar 😂

Back