A&H

Super Trophy Istanbul between a red team and a blue team

The Referee Store
That’s what I’m wondering. Adrian makes no contact with the ball but the fall is, erm, odd?

Haven’t seen a reverse angle yet, so it’s got me questioning it.

Agreed, it looks very weird. Definitely need that reverse angle - going purely on the "behind the GK" angle, if it wasn't given I don't think there's any way the VAR is calling the ref over to award a penalty there.

BT pundits “is that a clear and obvious penalty?”

Er now you’re misquoting it. The question here is “Is it a clear and obvious error?” Can’t answer that with an unequivocal “yes” then decision stands.

Having seen another angle I think Abraham’s felt something and taken a tumble. Toughie

TBH I thought the ref's lightning reaction sold the pen well. However, in the age of VAR I was expecting the finger to the ear, wait for the check, and confirm

Just seen a reverse angle for the penalty. That’s an extremely harsh call. Faintest of touches but not sufficient to put him to the ground.

Still no reverse angle for me.. but doesn't look like a pen.
I think the smart referee in 2019 with VAR... leaves that to VAR.
It's blind side, it's a big decision. I bought it at the time. But its stock is sliding...

Reverse angle here (don't know how long it will stay up)

For me, if the VAR had access to that angle, they should be sending the ref to the monitor to have a look and the penalty should have been overturned. I don't know who's angle that was or if the VAR could see it, as BT didn't seem to have immediate access to that angle, only showing it during the break between FT and KFTPM. But assuming VAR did have access to it, I don't know how that doesn't qualify as a C&O error?

UEFA made a big deal about about the on-field refereeing team being all female and a VAR intervention would have highlighted the mistake further.

Also, I think the VAR was a man. Can you imagine that? The first female referee in a major* final making such a huge mistake while her assistant in a much better position is pointing for a goal kick. And then, being corrected by a MAN!

Of course UEFA wouldn't allow a VAR intervention.

*Personally, I don't see the Super Cup as major

Last edited:
That's a 'guessed' PK award
The type of incident which contributes favourably to VARs accuracy stats, despite being wrong

If the decision on the field was pen, is there enough in the video to say definitely no contact? IMO no, and that's why the decision wasn't overturned by VAR.

Reverse angle here (don't know how long it will stay up)

For me, if the VAR had access to that angle, they should be sending the ref to the monitor to have a look and the penalty should have been overturned. I don't know who's angle that was or if the VAR could see it, as BT didn't seem to have immediate access to that angle, only showing it during the break between FT and KFTPM. But assuming VAR did have access to it, I don't know how that doesn't qualify as a C&O error?
I think that angle is conclusive it was not an offence. Agreed. And interesting to know if VAR had it...

Trying for the Mary Poppins effect and playing on Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

The only doubt on the penalty was whether Adrian made any contact with Abraham, and given that Adrian subsequently said that he did make contact would appear to clear that up.

Back