A&H

Swansea v Citee

The Referee Store
Offside winner definitely.
Was it a pen?
I thought the defender got a knick on the ball before he made contact with sterling but can understand why it was given.

Obviously offside. Not a penalty for me either, although on first viewing I can understand why he's given it.

Strange that he seemed to wait for a signal from the assistant for the Swansea penalty, and then didn't for the Man City penalty where the assistant probably had a better view of the challenge.

So with not all 4 cup ties having VAR, this was bound to happen that an offside goal and a potentially dubious penalty goes in favour of a team that ends up winning...

What a dogs dinner VAR is......It should be all games or none at least!!

That is why they are trialling it in the FA Cup. Not having VAR at Swansea today undoubtedly hurt the home team, but it doesn't affect anyone else. Whereas if they trialled it in the PL a decision like this could impact on other teams, for example Liverpool get a VAR penalty but Man City don't because VAR isn't at their game.

It will be in the FA Cup next season, so the whole all games or no games falls apart. Will it be at Hashtag United vs London Tigers in the first qualifying round? No, of course it won't. Even at the 3rd round, when the PL clubs come in, it can't possibly be at every game as there are too many grounds and some won't be capable of using the technology.

Reactions: JH
Why aren't the Citee boys on here demanding a replay??? I'll sign the petition!!! :angel:

Another trip to Wembley, they may as well paint the seats blue :)

We benefited from 2 big decisions yesterday. The first looked a penalty to me in real time but the slow mo replay showed it to be a good tackle. 3rd goal was offside but when the majority of PL clubs voted to not have VAR, forgive me for having no sympathy when City benefit from decisions. I knows it's a different competition but the principle remains (City voted for VAR)

I think it really is a shambles that at if that game had have been at the ethiad Swansea would have gone through (no penalty and offside). I don’t understand why they couldn’t have had VAR last night as they had it at the Liberty last season ... but not this season ? It should be for ALL prem and championship clubs, not a ground you pick and choose!

Why aren't the Citee boys on here demanding a replay??? I'll sign the petition!!! :angel:
Give us chance. I didn't get home till after midnight.

I thought at the time the Swansea penalty was obvious. There's one slow-mo angle that looks like Delph might have got a touch. And (from a bad angle far side of the goal) I thought the Swansea defender got the ball, but he'd pushed Sterling off balance before.
Aguero offside - well, yes, but wouldn't VAR have shown the defender holding him before he played the ball? (See previous conversations about fouls on players in offside position before they play the ball....)

Blue specs off, and Swansea can feel hard done by - but there again, don't these things even up over a season? (So we're always told...) Not for Swansea in a cup game.

Fascinating to see fans of certain clubs who opposed VAR now in favour....

Last edited:
That is why they are trialling it in the FA Cup. Not having VAR at Swansea today undoubtedly hurt the home team, but it doesn't affect anyone else. Whereas if they trialled it in the PL a decision like this could impact on other teams, for example Liverpool get a VAR penalty but Man City don't because VAR isn't at their game.

It will be in the FA Cup next season, so the whole all games or no games falls apart. Will it be at Hashtag United vs London Tigers in the first qualifying round? No, of course it won't. Even at the 3rd round, when the PL clubs come in, it can't possibly be at every game as there are too many grounds and some won't be capable of using the technology.
Surely all that argument does is suggest that they've clearly chosen a stupid competition to trial it in? My solution personally would be to set a fairly late round (probably the QF's makes most sense) at which it is introduced. It's still far from ideal, but at least it gets rid of the stupid situation we had today where two matches in the same competition going on at pretty much the same time are played under different rules.

Surely all that argument does is suggest that they've clearly chosen a stupid competition to trial it in? My solution personally would be to set a fairly late round (probably the QF's makes most sense) at which it is introduced. It's still far from ideal, but at least it gets rid of the stupid situation we had today where two matches in the same competition going on at pretty much the same time are played under different rules.

But it still wouldn't have been used in two of the four quarter finals as they were at Championship grounds, so would have been the same outcome for Swansea. They have set up all of the equipment to beam back to Stockley Park at all PL grounds, but don't have equipment to use it at non-PL grounds.

It ridiculous that everywhere else in Europe has been using VAR for 2 or 3 years now and did trials prior to that and like always in the UK, we're still scratching around in the trial stage! Everyone knew that VAR was inevitable but yet we continued to delay it because we're scared of change. It's been in rugby and cricket for a decade or more!

It ridiculous that everywhere else in Europe has been using VAR for 2 or 3 years now and did trials prior to that and like always in the UK, we're still scratching around in the trial stage! Everyone knew that VAR was inevitable but yet we continued to delay it because we're scared of change. It's been in rugby and cricket for a decade or more!
Had Swansea scored the offside goal to spoil the potential quadruple I sense a slightly different response than above from the Light Blue Boys! Onwards and upwards.....

Had Swansea scored the offside goal to spoil the potential quadruple I sense a slightly different response than above from the Light Blue Boys! Onwards and upwards.....

I can absolutely promise you sheff that you wouldn't get that from myself or any of my mates, many who still go home and away. The new lot are entitled (not their fault, they only know success). The pre 2008 fans are still a very good bunch.

They were trailing VAR at Swansea last season, can’t be that hard really to do Championship teams, it will come!

Has this not been the case though with GLT for years? A smaller low league club could lose out to a goal that would be given at the big teams ground?

Or is it turned off for the big teams home game?

They were trailing VAR at Swansea last season, can’t be that hard really to do Championship teams, it will come!

Trialling yes, with limited kit. Unfortunately when you are relegated you will have the kit removed and sent to a PL club that has replaced you, just like the tens of millions of pounds that you once got will flow the same way.

VAR is no different to goal line tech, it needs a lot of expensive equipment. No one would be surprised if a league 2 club missed out on a goal against a PL club because there was no GLT and the officials missed it, so I don't get the clamour that VAR should be at all or no games.

Trialling yes, with limited kit. Unfortunately when you are relegated you will have the kit removed and sent to a PL club that has replaced you, just like the tens of millions of pounds that you once got will flow the same way.

VAR is no different to goal line tech, it needs a lot of expensive equipment. No one would be surprised if a league 2 club missed out on a goal against a PL club because there was no GLT and the officials missed it, so I don't get the clamour that VAR should be at all or no games.

That was along lines of my point above. If Crewe played Chelsea there is no GLT but, if its a replay, is Chelsea's GLT on or off?
I know Celtic have it but its only turned on for Champ league games..

Back