A&H

Swansea Vs Stoke

The Referee Store
Law 12 states:

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:
[...]
holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
And ...
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

Also, it's been the case since 1995 that intention is not considered when it comes to offences where opponents are involved with each other in a physical manner - such as challenging for the ball.

So I'd say that IMHO this is a challenge and since the keeper is clearly in control of the ball, a free kick is at least justifiable, if not indeed, justified.

So what constitutes a challenge? Surely in this incident the goalkeeper who is in possession of the ball runs into the opponent and causes the loss of possession? The opponent has not in anyway ‘challenged’ the gk. They were just picking themselves up unaware of what was occurring?

So what constitutes a challenge? Surely in this incident the goalkeeper who is in possession of the ball runs into the opponent and causes the loss of possession? The opponent has not in anyway ‘challenged’ the gk. They were just picking themselves up unaware of what was occurring?
Screenshot_20240411-111515.png

Thanks , that was my thinking using a dictionary definition. So in my humble opinion that goal should have stood as the player picking themselves up didn’t compete or challenge for the ball.
That's not a dictionary definition. That's the LOTG definition.

It's not the first but it's the 2nd bit that's an offence. As @Peter Grove said the keeper having any touch on the ball with the hand they are considered in control and can't be challenged, and the player is clearly challenging the keeper when he guides the ball into the net but the keeper has a hand on it when this happens so an offence occurs.

That's not a dictionary definition. That's the LOTG definition.

It's not the first but it's the 2nd bit that's an offence. As @Peter Grove said the keeper having any touch on the ball with the hand they are considered in control and can't be challenged, and the player is clearly challenging the keeper when he guides the ball into the net but the keeper has a hand on it when this happens so an offence occurs.
That is not clear to me on the video. Thanks for the information.

That is not clear to me on the video. Thanks for the information.
Having watched the full clip I agree it's not clear.

But now seeing Keith saying he has it in both hands I'm minded to retract my last post.

Horrible situation to be presented with especially given gravity of Stoke's present situation.

For me, I'm happy this is a challenge, only on the basis that the player makes a movement to the left into the keepers path as he gets up and whilst it's probably partly the keepers fault he shouldn't expect to have the ball knocked out of his hands by any means whilst in control of it and if any cause is partly the fault of the player then I'm comfortable with an offence being called.

It would probably have been better had the referee stopped play sooner. I expect this might make it into Chris Foys behind the whistle article that are periodically released after each game week.

Back