A&H

Open Age The talk with the captains

Mine used to be about a minute, and now it is 20 seconds. I use this to tell the captains my personal style as I feel it is absolutely relevant and they need to know it, i.e. -
1) I just want to watch you boys play football, I like to let the game flow and I will come back for fouls if I need to so make sure your boys play to the whistle
2) If you want a chat about something, do it at the right time and not from 50 yards away. I don't mind chatting, but keep it nice and keep your boys under control before I need to.
3) If I call you over, it's a final warning for your player so support me and we'll keep the cards in my pocket.

I also make sure I give the club linos (where I have them) my instructions in front of the captains - specifically that I cannot take fouls from them and there only job is to indicate ball in/out play and offsides. If I don't agree with their offside flag, we'll play on.

Toss - I do it and the away side calls.

Nice and simple, no surprises.

... go on - live dangerously - let the CAR signal for fouls too ;)

The Referee Store
... go on - live dangerously - let the CAR signal for fouls too ;)
There is dangerous and then there is stupid...
Let CAR's give fouls in York - they would have to watch the game first and not be betting on their phones:alien:

There is dangerous and then there is stupid...
Let CAR's give fouls in York - they would have to watch the game first and not be betting on their phones:alien:

... but the CARs can be soooooooooooooooooooooo handy by keeping those on the pitch updated with how their 5-fold accumulator is going - why not reward them by letting them have a bit of flag-waving power :p

I take the first names and numbers in my notebook of the captains. Even better if you have team sheets before, call them in, handshakes, greet them by first name before they introduce yourself and you'll have them in your pocket throughout.

Mine goes like this:
"Right chaps, you won't see me kick the ball today, I don't expect anybody to tell me how to referee. If I need to call on the assistance of either of you I expect your full support. You focus on playing, I'll focus on refereeing. Ok, let's get on with it."

"Right chaps, you won't see me kick the ball today, I don't expect anybody to tell me how to referee. If I need to call on the assistance of either of you I expect your full support. You focus on playing, I'll focus on refereeing. Ok, let's get on with it."
I speak to each team pre KO and say this part as I find captains never relay anything I say to them at the coin toss. I tell the Captains to lead by example.................. sometimes it works!

This has been covered before and I think it was @Brian Hamilton who I have borrowed it off -

Captains - if I ask for your help today, it's in your teams best interests that YOU support me. If I ask for your help and I don't get it, I won't ask again. You will regret it.

Most stuff said at the coin toss is wasted - too much adrenaline pumping.

This has been covered before and I think it was @Brian Hamilton who I have borrowed it off -

Captains - if I ask for your help today, it's in your teams best interests that YOU support me. If I ask for your help and I don't get it, I won't ask again. You will regret it.

Most stuff said at the coin toss is wasted - too much adrenaline pumping.
And I "borrowed" it off someone else.

It's about all that needs to be said. For preseason matches, i like to raise any changes in laws or local directives that may be relevant. Aside from that, any specific issues that may come up: "we've got a few different markings on the field today, make sure your lads know it's the black line, because while I may try to stop them if I have the chance, if they take the throw from the wrong line or the keeper runs out of his area to the wrong line, I can't help him'. Or 'hot weather today lads, we'll have a quick break after about 20minute or so, just keep your team on the park when we', that sort of thing. And if it's a finals match, I like to congratulate the teams too.

I simply point out its a contact sport , fair challenges and good honest football is what we are here for, I'll make mistakes as will you , difference is I won't tell you for 90 mins when you have made a mistake ;) normally gets a chuckle ! Other than that short and sweet!

I'll make mistakes as will you , difference is I won't tell you for 90 mins when you have made a mistake ;)

I used to include something similar in my spiel when I first began. Something along the lines of:

"I'm only human remember guys, and so IF I happen to make a mistake today, I'll hold my hands up, apologise, we'll all have a laugh about it and we'll move on okay? Please don't start chopsing at me, because I won't be chopsing at you".

I used to think it was a good way of appealing to the Captain's "soul" :) and not appearing to be like some sort of robot.
A colleague of mine (Level 4) pointed out one day that it might not be wise to allude to the idea that I expected to possibly make mistakes before the match had even begun!! I hadn't really ever seen it from that point of view before (he was probably right at the end of the day).
I later realised that saying it had never actually made any difference to levels of dissent experienced or affected the games I was refereeing in any way that I could see and so dropped it.

I'm a little wiser (if perhaps a little more cynical as well :p) now as I try to jump from 6 to 5 this season. ;)

I call the CAR's and the captains in, I go through the two CAR responsibilities, offside and ball in/out of play.
I then speak to the captains, ask their name and note their number, and say that I will be looking to them to help me control anyone in their team who needs a word.
That's all, anything else is a waste of breath.

This is mine.

Hi gents, I am the referee today and these are my assistants blog and blog. (Also I say type of game)

You both have your team this is my team let's keep it disciplined, you're both captains so let the 5 of us work together. I only want to hear your voice no one else.

I like to play advantage but if it brakes down I will call it back within a few seconds.

(Show them heads and tails on the coin) you're the home team you toss away team call in air.

I used to include something similar in my spiel when I first began. Something along the lines of:

"I'm only human remember guys, and so IF I happen to make a mistake today, I'll hold my hands up, apologise, we'll all have a laugh about it and we'll move on okay? Please don't start chopsing at me, because I won't be chopsing at you".

I used to think it was a good way of appealing to the Captain's "soul" :) and not appearing to be like some sort of robot.
A colleague of mine (Level 4) pointed out one day that it might not be wise to allude to the idea that I expected to possibly make mistakes before the match had even begun!! I hadn't really ever seen it from that point of view before (he was probably right at the end of the day).
I later realised that saying it had never actually made any difference to levels of dissent experienced or affected the games I was refereeing in any way that I could see and so dropped it.

I'm a little wiser (if perhaps a little more cynical as well :p) now as I try to jump from 6 to 5 this season. ;)

Chopsing??? Is that a Somerset phrase?

I was AR last night and ref told captains that "My assistants are out of bounds", of course made no difference once the game started!;)

Reactions: DB
Back