A&H

Open Age This will be your last game ref

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Heard this from a couple of players today in a game where they lost 6-0, conceded 2 penalties (by same player), had 2 off for second yellows and 2 sin bins.

Was being assessed for my 7-6 and the assessor picked up on a couple of times where I was caught flat footed and so missed some slight pulls but I should get standard expected.

Where do players get this arrogance from? It astounds me

The Referee Store
Players have zero clue about what an observer is looking for or how the promotion scheme works, never mind then laws of the game.

Ignore them and move on!

Heard this from a couple of players today in a game where they lost 6-0, conceded 2 penalties (by same player), had 2 off for second yellows and 2 sin bins.

Was being assessed for my 7-6 and the assessor picked up on a couple of times where I was caught flat footed and so missed some slight pulls but I should get standard expected.

It's never been any different. FIFA's 'beautiful game'
Be interesting to know how the Assessor viewed the game

I got assessed for a game with 3 reds and 6 yellows. Players were saying all sorts to me like ‘how can you perform like this with him watching’ and ‘this’ll be you out of the job’. Came away with an above standard. Ignore them, there’s only one person to please in that situation and if you have, you’ve done the job correctly

Exactly what everyone else has said. If the game required 2 penalties, 2 second yellows and 2 sin bins, the way to get a good assessment is to give them, regardless of what the players think.

I'm baffled that players don't realise that the presence of an observer actually heaps more pressure on them - it means the referee has less room for leniency or bending the law (not that you would do this, but some players might expect it!). In an observed game, things will inevitably be tight.

Annoys me this. I never understand what players are seeking to achieve when drawing attention to an observer.
Let's say in the fantastical world they create where indeed you were prevented from refereeing ever again because you, in their view, through the eyes in the back of their head, missed a push. What do they actually gain? 1 less referee. So as the number of referee dwindle, so does the number of games they get to participate in with a qualified referee. It baffles the mind to say the least.

I tend to ignore them when it happens or use it to my advantage. It creates a situation you can show the observer you can manage. Quiet word. Public bollocking. Booking. Bath. Tick tick tick tick.. Nice mark for you at the end. An unwanted black mark for the player concerned.

today in a game where they lost 6-0,

The prosecution rests, Your Honor.

In all seriousness, that kind of comment is a minimum caution from a player. It's clear dissent. Add something else onto that (like they'll go to the association or whatever governing body you have), and I would have no problem going straight red for OFFINABUS. Yes, that would be harsh, but these are the kinds of threats that need to be removed from the game.

If I hear a coach say something like that, it's a send-off. Threats like that need to be dealt with very quickly.

This type of behaviour from players is more prevalent in the 7-6 observations and less so as the referee goes up the levels. If I think about the sheer number of fixtures it is possible for a 7-6 candidate to be observed on in my county, it's a significant number, meaning that the clubs themselves will have games with observers on them far less frequently, which then becomes a big deal for the clubs.

If I compare that to last season when I did my 5-4, there is a comparativelysmall pool of teams that you could get observed refereeing, and we had a large number of 5-4 candidates, therefore the clubs get more used to having observers at more games than not.

I'm sure that any observer on here will also say that they can spot a referee who is trying to modify their game and 'referee for the observer' a mile off and I suspect that would typically result in a lower mark than just going out and performing normally.

I have had a lot of last games in my refereeing career. Kind of like a recent LOTG quiz I did, too many first yellow cards for the same player in a game. ;)

Just out of interest does any of you who are being assessed mention this to the teams pre match ?
Nope. It's of no consequence to them.
At some levels the observer will Likely have been in touch with the teams before hand though so someone is likely to know they are there

Nope. It's of no consequence to them.
At some levels the observer will Likely have been in touch with the teams before hand though so someone is likely to know they are there
I think in line with COVID guidelines, observers now have to notify home teams of their attendance in advance now as well

Just out of interest does any of you who are being assessed mention this to the teams pre match ?

Yes, always. I'll mention that I may be a little more strict on fouls etc, and to remove coloured undershirts and such. Pretty sure it has never gone against me.

i think if it was me being assessed id certainly mention it before hand.
Can I ask why? I have never made a point of it. Its just drawing attention to something that doesn't need it. You are more likely to come up against the OP scenario by highlighting it.

Yes, always. I'll mention that I may be a little more strict on fouls etc, and to remove coloured undershirts and such. Pretty sure it has never gone against me.
Why would you be more strict on fouls for an observer?
Your game should be the same with or without one, save for (maybe) technical bits and bobs like sock tape etc.
How can an observer give you a true mark unless he sees what you would normally do, and if you do.something more are clubs losing out because you're more slack in games where there isn't one.
I am taking up observing this year and it would be disappointing to see a referee acting up for me, particularly if that then impacts the game.
They now do match day developers at l3 and I think 4. This is a surprise observation, and the 1st you hear is a knock on the door at full time.

Can I ask why? I have never made a point of it. Its just drawing attention to something that doesn't need it. You are more likely to come up against the OP scenario by highlighting it.

I just think it would help you through the game, there might be certain decisions that you might normally let go that you all of a sudden have to pull up.

Stuff like a base layer, sock tape, player leaving the FOP for a quick drink.

Why would you be more strict on fouls for an observer?
Your game should be the same with or without one, save for (maybe) technical bits and bobs like sock tape etc.
How can an observer give you a true mark unless he sees what you would normally do, and if you do.something more are clubs losing out because you're more slack in games where there isn't one.
I am taking up observing this year and it would be disappointing to see a referee acting up for me, particularly if that then impacts the game.
They now do match day developers at l3 and I think 4. This is a surprise observation, and the 1st you hear is a knock on the door at full time.

Let me slightly rephrase that - I act the same at the higher levels within my remit - but at the lower echelons of grass roots football, I may let one or two things slide or be a little more lenient; Big Gaz for The Bull Inn on a Sunday morning doesn't know you get a caution for leaving the FOP without permission. Whether you agree with it or not, I believe there is a little more leniency on challenges or sanctions in the lowest tiers of GR. If you can honestly say you've ALWAYS sanctioned IAW the LOTG even at the lowest of levels, I'd be inclined to say you are fibbing. If you have though, fair play - I bet they hated seeing you before KO! ;)

Remember that the observer is often getting the same amount of grief on the touchline as you are in the middle, lines like "he's only being like this because you are here". Makes me laugh when they come up to me and say that they hope I end his career, I just say that if I give him a bad report he won't get promoted so he'll still be with them next season and then walk off while their tiny little minds try to process that .... :)

Let me slightly rephrase that - I act the same at the higher levels within my remit - but at the lower echelons of grass roots football, I may let one or two things slide or be a little more lenient; Big Gaz for The Bull Inn on a Sunday morning doesn't know you get a caution for leaving the FOP without permission. Whether you agree with it or not, I believe there is a little more leniency on challenges or sanctions in the lowest tiers of GR. If you can honestly say you've ALWAYS sanctioned IAW the LOTG even at the lowest of levels, I'd be inclined to say you are fibbing. If you have though, fair play - I bet they hated seeing you before KO! ;)
You missed my point. If you don't caution big gaz when the observer is there, why do you when he is?
I haven't said anything about what I do and don't do, I referee my normal game for an observer.
Give u an example, step 6, first game this season, sub midway through first half, young lad, comes running straight on before injured player left. Do you think I cautioned him? No, he was a young lad, probably 17 or 18 year old, who was clearly very excited to get his big chance at step 6 football. Did i get done by the observer? No I did not. I didnt hide it either, I hauled him back to do it properly and warned him that he was risking a caution just running on.
I ran a risk of the observer not being happy with it, but I can be certain had I cautioned, everyone from the player, his team mates his opposition, and spectators would have all been surprised to see a card and it would have negatively impacted the game.
You do your game, if the observer takes exception to something, you sell it to him with sound reason and a good observer should understand why you have done something if it benefits the game and or your match control

Back