A&H

Top VAR drama!

es1

RefChat Addict
Brilliant (neutral viewing wise) ends to the spurs and athleti games tonight

Spurs winner ruled out in the 95th minute by a very tight offside, Old style graphics presented though with (assumed) hand drawn lines which seems bizarre

Full time whistle goes at athleti, ref gets told to go to the monitor for a handball and gives the pen. Pen is saved but then 2 follow up rebounds occur (bar and blocked), surely this shouldn't be allowed and the pen should be the final action? Great drama but not comfortable with the extra extra game time

The Referee Store
How is that handball? His arm is practically by his side. What else can he possibly do? Also it looks like it's on the sleeve?

It also takes a nick off a player very close to him. It's the definition of 'natural position' for me

How is that handball? His arm is practically by his side. What else can he possibly do? Also it looks like it's on the sleeve?

Which handball, they haven't given handball if we are talking about Spurs here.

I just cant see how they've given offside here.

Copy / paste from a thread I made, because I didn't see this one yet, especially interested in what's happening after the Atleti penalty.

Barca - Bayern: Taylor called to the screen for a mistakenly given PK. Agree with VAR, Lewa initiates the contact and even so, De Ligt plays the ball. Not careless for me. Second caution removed. In general, my feeling is that Taylor has been slightly off this season, feels like he either lets too much go or keeps a very tight leash. His fame management is still easily one of the best in the world

Atletico - Leverkusen: Oh boy. Full time whistle goes, VAR wants a PK. I'm still not sure for whose handball that is, two defenders touch the ball with their arms, however to penalize either is harsh to me. VAR images didn't clarify whose offense they were looking at. However, call of the day for me: Turpin let play continue after the PK was missed. As far as I know, the ball was dead as soon as Hradrecky saves it. A mistake in law?

I'm lost for words. Eric Dier is caught on camera and audio arguing with the referee at full time saying that Kane cannot be offside as the ball was played backwards, Danny Makellie rightly laughs him off. And now in the studio Rio Ferdinand is saying that no footballer understands that it can still be offside if the ball is played backwards. These are people paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and they don't know a basic law, it is absolutely ridiculous.

Regarding the Ath Madrid incident.

I get the final whistle had gone and VAR advised a penalty, surely if the game had finished should the penalty kick be the last action or is it until the ball is completely dead, i was under the impression once the penalty is taken thats the end of the game.

I'm lost for words. Eric Dier is caught on camera and audio arguing with the referee at full time saying that Kane cannot be offside as the ball was played backwards, Danny Makellie rightly laughs him off. And now in the studio Rio Ferdinand is saying that no footballer understands that it can still be offside if the ball is played backwards. These are people paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and they don't know a basic law, it is absolutely ridiculous.
Never mind being caught on camera... Doherty says it in his interview that he thought if the ball went backwards, or hits a defender it's another phase of play 🤷🏻‍♂️

Only just seen the Athletico one

is there grounds for making this very rare occasion akin to the taking of kicks from the penalty mark to decide a game method, as, if the pk in time extended to take the pk was REALLY to be the last kick of the game, why are the other players there?

part of me wishes the rebound ( one of two of them) was knocked in just to see what happens next

Only just seen the Athletico one

is there grounds for making this very rare occasion akin to the taking of kicks from the penalty mark to decide a game method, as, if the pk in time extended to take the pk was REALLY to be the last kick of the game, why are the other players there?

part of me wishes the rebound ( one of two of them) was knocked in just to see what happens next
Agreed, this needs addressing

Do players really need to know all the laws. Do we know all the laws at our work places. That’s why we have H&S depts, it’s their job to know. So a player not knowing I have no problem with but interviewer would have been told why it was disallowed and he simply could have told the player. Player now understands. Simple

• Wow
Reactions: ARF
Do players really need to know all the laws. Do we know all the laws at our work places. That’s why we have H&S depts, it’s their job to know. So a player not knowing I have no problem with but interviewer would have been told why it was disallowed and he simply could have told the player. Player now understands. Simple

Cant speak for you but whilst indeed I do not know all the laws in my workplace partaining to the company I am very much aware of the laws relevant to my role in the company

its a role of H&S to ensure this

Regarding the Ath Madrid incident.

I get the final whistle had gone and VAR advised a penalty, surely if the game had finished should the penalty kick be the last action or is it until the ball is completely dead, i was under the impression once the penalty is taken thats the end of the game.
VAR is effectively rewinding the game to the point where the penalty offence was committed. You should in theory play whatever remaining time there is that you would have played after the penalty, so unless the handball would have resulted in a game-extending penalty if given live, then I don't see any reason why it should be different because the invalid decision led to the game ending?

Last edited:
I suggest you speak to your H&S dept.
It's literally the law that all employees are responsible for their own and their colleagues health and safety whilst at work!!
Absolutely you need to know all the laws relevant to your role. Claiming I didn't know is neglect in the eyes of the law if you should know.

I'm less bothered that players don't understand - that happens in other sports too.

What irks me is when pundits and commentators have no idea - and on run of the mill stuff, not once in a blue moon 11th player going down injured during a penalty shoot-out type situations (and yeah I know that's not the right term).

Surely a basic qualification for the job should be that you have at least read the laws recently ?

Back