A&H

U14 False Name

JoetheRef

Level 7 Referee
I had an U14 game where I correctly disallowed what would have been a late equaliser for handball. The offending player promptly told me to f**k off so I gave a sin bin for dissent. When I asked for his name he sounded unsure of his own name. At full-time I checked with his coach and it was a false name. The coach was furious with the player and made him apologise to me (Only for the false name, not for the dissent). Given the coach's anger with the player I didn't give him a YC for attempting to deceive the referee, should I have done so? I logged the sin bin onto WGS using his real name. Was that correct and should I have submitted an extraordinary report?

The Referee Store
If you ask me, correct course of action.

His coach was apologetic and clearly helpful following the incident, so I'd personally be having the mutual respect to not escalate the report, as you've received the correct name at the end of the day.

However, you wouldn't be incorrect to submit a report stating the player had given you a false name.

Also, cautioning after the game when you find out he's given you the wrong name is definitely not advisable, and an easy way to dig a hole! Take the name you're given and report it, unless reliably informed otherwise, like in this instance

I'm shocked that the coach was so honest, in my area and in my experiences, the coaches are more unsure of these things than the players! Definitely no need for an extraordinary once you have the real name though. As @george.g said, brilliant way to get yourself into a very difficult position.

Another piece of advice Joe (take it or leave it) is that a player telling you to f*** off isn't dissent - it's OFFINABUS (especially at that age group) and should have produced a red ... ;)
I think the age group may be pretty important in considering this. In open-age, while technically it could be OFFINABUS, I don't think I'd have got very far if I sent off everyone who ever told me to F Off.

I think the age group may be pretty important in considering this. In open-age, while technically it could be OFFINABUS, I don't think I'd have got very far if I sent off everyone who ever told me to F Off.
An old and well worn topic on here for sure but, an adult saying it to me in an inoffensive, non-abusive manner which I didn't consider/feel was an insult then like you, I'd likely be having a word and no more.
A 13/14 year old kid tells me to "f*** off" and they're gone. End of.

A 14 year old telling me to F Off probably isn't getting a red from me - I just don't find it offensive. However, they're at minimum going for 10, and there's situations where they'll be saying bye bye for the full game

Interesting view. If that's not offensive, insulting and/or abusive to you, what is?
Plain stupid to start with, but it’s dissent.

I just don’t find myself offended by it, I’m not sure if it’s through exposure to language or whatnot, but then again, I steer well clear of youth football (besides U18) now so maybe I’ve lost perspective of how striking that would be from an early teen.

I’ve never sent off for the words ‘F Off’, it’s SinBin or find another way to manage for me

Plain stupid to start with, but it’s dissent.

I just don’t find myself offended by it, I’m not sure if it’s through exposure to language or whatnot, but then again, I steer well clear of youth football (besides U18) now so maybe I’ve lost perspective of how striking that would be from an early teen.

I’ve never sent off for the words ‘F Off’, it’s SinBin or find another way to manage for me
Thanks for that, but you haven't answered my question.

I'll answer it for him :) . Generally, either of the 'C' words aimed in my direction or anything discriminatory (sexist, racist, homophobic etc). Also, as ever, I think ignoring the 'non-verbal' aspect of the words is unhelpful. If the phrase 'Eff Off' was screamed loudly and aggressively right in my face, then I'd go Red. If it's said quietly, in passing, with a hint of a smile, I'd pass it off as banter. Then there's all the areas in between where the sanction would range from a bollocking to a Yellow Card.

My apologies, I read it as ‘what is it’, which I attempted to answer first line.

I think I’ve had ~6 S6 dismissals in the last 2 seasons. 2 for homophobic/racist language, 2 for words along the lines of ‘****ing c*nt’, 2 for death threats.

F Off is never crossing my OFFINABUS threshold. The use of the C word will push me that way a lot of the time, but Im quite aware I’m nowhere near the tolerance of others on this forum.

To add, the above factors about tone and whatnot are taken into account.

Taking aside the question of tolerance levels, I would be reporting the name I was given but also submitting a report that I was told after the game that I was given a false name. That nips it in the bud, whereas if you just report the name you were eventually given they will do it again the next week and the week after, and if the referee at those games isn't on the ball will get away with it.

I've reported Micky Mouse, Donald Duck, Boris Johnson, Mike Hunt, amongst others, over the years. If that is the name they give me that is the name I am reporting, let the club then deal with the consequences. A referee I worked with got given the name Dan Gleeballs by a player, when he told me after the game I suggested he checked the team sheet.

On my course advice was "Mickey Mouse is it? Is that what you really want me to submit to the league?" "OK then..."

An old and well worn topic on here for sure but, an adult saying it to me in an inoffensive, non-abusive manner which I didn't consider/feel was an insult then like you, I'd likely be having a word and no more.
Different sides of the pond and all, but if refs started sending off for it, change would occur. But it would have to be consistent, not a few refs on a crusade. I only do games up to 19U—and in my games this is a red every time, no questions asked, and no one is going to argue it was unreasonable.

Back