A&H

USA v Sweden KFTPM

PP62

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37066215

Has anyone seen the antics of the USA keeper before Sweden's last penalty? If Sweden scored then they would win. I don't know the story behind it but the USA keeper decided she needed to change her gloves before the kick could be taken. When the kick was taken she made no attempt do save it or even dive for it and Sweden scored.
I think this was as clear a case of USB as you'll see but she wasn't cautioned. The new law changes cover the kicking team in that if the kicker isn't ready in a reasonable time then they forfeit the kick, but it doesn't mention if the keeper isn't ready.
Sorry if I missed a genuine need for the keeper to change her gloves but what happened to "sprirt of the game"?

The Referee Store
Looks to me as if the referee takes a look at the gloves and agrees that they can be changed? I can't think of any real reason it would be appropriate at that point, but the referee definitely gave consent - and with that in mind, any sanction against the keeper would have rightly caused uproar.

Being a cynic, did she deliberately damage her own gloves?

She also made some disrespectful comments about the Swedish team after the game that came across as nothing but a bitter rant!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37066215

Has anyone seen the antics of the USA keeper before Sweden's last penalty? If Sweden scored then they would win. I don't know the story behind it but the USA keeper decided she needed to change her gloves before the kick could be taken. When the kick was taken she made no attempt do save it or even dive for it and Sweden scored.
I think this was as clear a case of USB as you'll see but she wasn't cautioned. The new law changes cover the kicking team in that if the kicker isn't ready in a reasonable time then they forfeit the kick, but it doesn't mention if the keeper isn't ready.
Sorry if I missed a genuine need for the keeper to change her gloves but what happened to "spirit of the game"?

The real cynic in me - "is she now trying to sell two sets of gloves on Ebay, as momentos????":pirate::smoke:

Solo won't be needing any more gloves at international level for a while, possible ever again, after the US federation slapped her with a 6 month ban for her disrespectful post match comments!

Back