A&H

VAR

The Referee Store
That's a really confusing set of signals. I assume he had initially given yellow, so got the yellow card out in order to show that he was rescinding that card and issuing a straight red?

a great example of perfect use of VAR.
Excellent comunication by ref, Amazingly finding myself at odds with the above, its crystal clear whats going on.

Its a really harsh yellow to begin with i.e. the foul before the stamp unless its PI.
Absolutely right to swap out for a full red.
Does he really need to grab the player back? Can he not go to the manager and explain the card is upgraded to straight red? I cant help but think there is a better way to do this as it will happen again, albeit a rare occurrence. One of those things you dont legislate for until it happens for a first time

Its a show for the spectators. Its easier for them to understand the rescinding of a yellow and issuing of a red with all those gestures. They can't hear the referee. One of the complaints about VAR was that the spectators don't know what is going on.

a great example of perfect use of VAR.
Excellent comunication by ref, Amazingly finding myself at odds with the above, its crystal clear whats going on.
How on earth is is clear? He shows the yellow card and the player thinks he's confirming that sanction and starts to walk off - he then has to be called back in order to have the red shown. It's incredibly messy!

Its also the protocol.......
its also been done countless times before.

step 1 Show the card
step 2 Make it clear that card is now null and void
Step 3 Show the correct card

its really as easy as that

I dont have the link but I was AR on a live tv game prob 10 years ago when ref did exact same.
Through ball, offside, me, flag up.......
ref few seconds late in spotting flag (days before comms), in the mean time, he blew and carded for a handball, which was someones 2nd yellow.....
so, he goes, yellow and flashes red....
then notices flag...comes over, quick chat, offside came first, he accepted the offside, called player back in, on this occasion made a no no no hands signal across his bows, then produced the yellow, making it clear the yellow no longer existed.

not a single eyebrow raised and we all lived happy ever after.

Its also the protocol.......
its also been done countless times before.

step 1 Show the card
step 2 Make it clear that card is now null and void
Step 3 Show the correct card

its really as easy as that
None of which makes it clear or obvious to either the player or fans. Just because "it's the protocol", doesn't magically make it clear, sensible or the best thing to do. It's entirely valid to raise the fact that the protocol didn't work well in this situation and could probably be improved on.

Its a show for the spectators. Its easier for them to understand the rescinding of a yellow and issuing of a red with all those gestures. They can't hear the referee. One of the complaints about VAR was that the spectators don't know what is going on.
Agree completely. But I don't see how waving both cards around and making un-defined hand gestures clears anything up really. It's obvious from the clip that the player thinks he's got away with it, I couldn't tell until a second viewing why the yellow card was out.....it could definitely be improved

None of which makes it clear or obvious to either the player or fans. Just because "it's the protocol", doesn't magically make it clear, sensible or the best thing to do. It's entirely valid to raise the fact that the protocol didn't work well in this situation and could probably be improved on.

A quick email form you to Zurich and you can express your discontent with their protocol till your hearts content....
be more productive than posting on here. not as much fun, granted, but, they can leave you in no doubt of their instructions for when this happens.

Ps, the player to all and sundry is chancing his arm.....and playing dumb.....
he knows exactly what's going on......

guess you need experience though to see these things, and that cant be taught.

Reactions: one
Oh the player know exactly whats going on. Don't be fooled by his innocent confused face. (typed this before I saw Ciley's post)

Can you think of a better way to signal a card has been rescinded? I have done it before for mistaken identity and used exactly the same gesture/signal. All players understood it.

Oh the player know exactly whats going on. Don't be fooled by his innocent confused face. (typed this before I saw Ciley's post)

Can you think of a better way to signal a card has been rescinded? I have done it before for mistaken identity and used exactly the same gesture/signal. All players understood it.
The card is a communication tool, nothing more. As a referee, I'm empowered to issue cautions and dismiss players without a yellow or red piece of plastic. And in this situation, in practical terms, it doesn't matter in the slightest that the yellow has been rescinded.

Tell the player the caution has been upgraded to a dismissal, show the red card and do what you need to do in your post-match report to clarify that the caution was rescinded. Don't get the yellow card out because there's no need to do so.

The card is a communication tool, nothing more. As a referee, I'm empowered to issue cautions and dismiss players without a yellow or red piece of plastic. And in this situation, in practical terms, it doesn't matter in the slightest that the yellow has been rescinded.

Tell the player the caution has been upgraded to a dismissal, show the red card and do what you need to do in your post-match report to clarify that the caution was rescinded. Don't get the yellow card out because there's no need to do so.

100% incorrect. yes get the yellow out due to the exact reasons you yourself state ! Its a communication tool !!
Go on, email Dave. Ask him what to do....seeing as you pour scorn on (esp my) entirely correct version of what to do.

100% incorrect. yes get the yellow out due to the exact reasons you yourself state ! Its a communication tool !!
Go on, email Dave. Ask him what to do....seeing as you pour scorn on (esp my) entirely correct version of what to do.
I posted first!

Here's my point... does it need to be clear and sundry to all at tha point. In both events the player leaves FOP as red card. Confirm with manager sanction upgraded at point of viewing. The club can do a statement after. To confirm, during the game blah blah was given two yellows. On consulting VAR OFR upgraded and reported a different offence e.g. VC so blah blah will be unavailable for X games.

As I said in post #6, it has to do with the feedback they have had through trials and during use from the public and fans. They want to know what is going on. The commentators have been complaining about not knowing what is going on. Why has he left? Has he been sent off? But he was only shown a yellow card... The show of cards and and signals is not for the player. Its for everyone else.

Similar to what you use your cards for in your games, as you say for communications. You can do without them but you still use them (instead of just telling the player) so that everyone else knows what going on.

EDIT: @JamesL I think I pretty much answered your question too. Without that process, everyone watching live thinks "VAR is joke, i have no idea what just happened". This was the case in the early times in Australia when communication was very poor. Much less now with better communication.

I posted first!

The difference being I am aware of UEFA's instructions re this and, you are not.
So, in order for you to have them confirmed by someone other than an internet random, and overall, to ensure you are officiating in the manner expected, or at least, is uniform, its you that could do with the extra guidance and advice, from the very top level, so, you are in no doubt as to its rectitude.

Back