A&H

Verbally distracting an opponent (DOGSO)

Mr Dean

RefChat Addict
A player verbally distracts an opponent and in doing so denies that opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Yellow or red card?

The Referee Store
Red Card.

Denying obvious goal scoring opportunity by offence punishable with a free kick.

Not until too long ago this a little fuzzy as IFK was not a direct punishment for it. It was just the restart after the actual punishment of a sanction.

But a few years ago IFK was listed as a "punishment" for verbal offences.

The DOGSO red card offence can have a direct / penalty or indirect free kick restart. So the answer is red card.

Not until too long ago this a little fuzzy as IFK was not a direct punishment for it. It was just the restart after the actual punishment of a sanction.

But a few years ago IFK was listed as a "punishment" for verbal offences.
It still is. . . . "All verbal offences are penalised with an indirect free kick" is in Law 12.

I think one meant it was changed to that language a few years ago as opposed to having once been there and no longer
As I recall, that language wasn’t added to be clear about this, but because when they added language intended to make physical offenses against an official or teammate a DFK the language was interpreted by some as meaning that OFFINABUS against an official could be a DFK. But I don’t think the verbal offenses IFK language was necessary to make this DOGSO. Prior to the language creating DFKs for offenses against officials, the restart for cautions not involving a DFK offense was an IFK.

But I don’t think the verbal offenses IFK language was necessary to make this DOGSO. Prior to the language creating DFKs for offenses against officials, the restart for cautions not involving a DFK offense was an IFK.
Yeah the addition was to stop making verbal offences against officials a DFK. As with any change/clarification in law there are side effects and this for me was a good one.

The point I was making was prior to this clarification one (not me) could argue verbally distracting an opponent is not punished by an IFK since it was not listed in IFK offences. Hence DOGSO does not apply to it. It's just a restart after the ball is out of play. Similar to a TI being just a restart not a punishment. To be clear this is not my my opinion but something that was open to interpretation.

I'm thinking it would have to be an outrageous shout before I thought the player shouldn't have been distracted!

I'm thinking it would have to be an outrageous shout before I thought the player shouldn't have been distracted!
There was a tongue in cheek element to my post.
Shouting leave it further perpetuating the myth 😏
It's a very unlikely situation but it is a possibility. One of those where 11 will be happy and 11 will not either way.
Wasn't OGSO, but once had a sub blow a whistle as the opposition broke an offside trap with a ball over the top. Fun thirty seconds, that. 😱😭
Just, why though?!?

Just, why though?!?
100% to disrupt. Coaching team had whistles in their bags, as saw/heard them being used during pre-match training drills. I doubt what happened next was correct in law but the situation was diffused, and CFA could deal with the rest. (Going back about 15/16 years).

Was quite a bonkers moment, one where you realise you’d probably never come across it, then instantly wonder why it doesn’t happen more often.

I had a player about to tap the ball into an empty net from a yard out when an opponent behind him shouted “leave it!” - most players would tell a team mate to get stuffed in that situation but he did actually leave it! The game really got a bit exciting for the next couple of minutes after that!

The game was a cup semi-final, and the defender’s team were 1-0 up with about 20 minutes left. I gave the IFK on the 6 yard line and sent the defender off, which caused some confusion amongst players. Unfortunately the team didn’t score and the opponents held on to win with ten men.

His manager asked me when I thought he would be banned from, because at the time they could appeal and if he would miss the match then they’d appeal just so he could play. The defender did get to play in the final (which they won) because it was held the following week and at the time his suspension didn’t start for a couple of weeks.

I thought it was appalling behaviour by the team, and if ever I could have awarded a penalty goal that was the occasion.

I had a player about to tap the ball into an empty net from a yard out when an opponent behind him shouted “leave it!” - most players would tell a team mate to get stuffed in that situation but he did actually leave it! The game really got a bit exciting for the next couple of minutes after that!

The game was a cup semi-final, and the defender’s team were 1-0 up with about 20 minutes left. I gave the IFK on the 6 yard line and sent the defender off, which caused some confusion amongst players. Unfortunately the team didn’t score and the opponents held on to win with ten men.

His manager asked me when I thought he would be banned from, because at the time they could appeal and if he would miss the match then they’d appeal just so he could play. The defender did get to play in the final (which they won) because it was held the following week and at the time his suspension didn’t start for a couple of weeks.

I thought it was appalling behaviour by the team, and if ever I could have awarded a penalty goal that was the occasion.
Always something that’s… not annoyed… but been a pain. When managers ask you stuff like that “what’s the ban / when is the replay / are those yellows going through / do we win 3-0” etc.

“I just report the facts” is a great answer to have ready to go.

I once had a defender scream aaaargh at the top of his voice as an attacker was through on goal. Thankfully it didn't put him off and he scored, otherwise that might have ended with a very unpopular decision.
Had the same from a defender on the swing of hitting the ball in a penalty kick. Lucky for him the attacker scored.

It is debatable though if it would be dogso if he missed.

With a penalty, I suppose you could argue the offence occurred before the kick - so a retake would be appropriate, meaning the OGSO hasn't been denied and so yellow card is still sufficient?

Agree. USB caution a retake the kick. While we could make technical arguments about DOGSO (the retake of the PK is a new OGSO, just like it is for a penal foul), it isn’t what the Game expects.

Back