A&H

Water bottle preventing goal

SpionLuke

Luke
Level 6 Referee
I was recently watching a video where a strike that was going in hit a water bottle and bobbled wide.

I believe this counts as outside interference and should be a dropped ball but as its in the area does this go back to the keeper? That seems unfair. But you also can’t really give a freekick and caution to the goalie for leaving his bottle there as he’s not thrown it at the ball.

What would you do?

The Referee Store
Just before Xmas, as AR I told the GK to move his bottle off the line - he said he always did it and I was the first "lino" to tell him to move it all year. With a definite air of him doing it deliberately to help block the goal. So look out for this, I think it's becoming a trend!

IMO, this is a fly in the ointment in the new DB law. There used to be an incentive for GKs to keep their stuff away from the goal line, as a DB on the GA line would be dangerous. (With younger players, I even explained to GKs why they didn’t want their water bottle (or the extra ball) close to the line, in or outside the goal. But now, that is an advantage for the GK, so we totally lost our ally on this issue.

If you want. But USB doesn't have to have reason listed in the book.
I know. I've just given the terminology that you can use at the time to the player so they know you're not joking, I find using the correct terminology and giving a quick statement to the player works wonders with an obscure decision you give that's correct in law.

If the placing of the water bottle is considered unsporting behaviour and play is stopped to administer the caution, the restart of play would be an indirect free kick.

Back