A&H

Wednesday Boro

The Referee Store
Not an easy one to call in real time, but I think when you watch the replay you see the defender extend his elbow towards the opponent's head. You have to be very very confident that's accidental to give anything other than red IMO.

I was more interested in the decision in the last minute of injury time to award a defensive free kick when the ball was completely smothered on the goal line by defensive players. Anywhere else on the pitch and the decision would have gone to the attacking team. Safe refereeing at it's worst!

Said it before but I really feel uneasy about referees manipulating the game to suit themselves. There was clearly no foul on the part of the attacking team whilst the defending team were sat on the ball last night but he decided to give a foul against the attacking team for his own benefit. It's creeping in to many situations under the guise of 'game management'. That's not what the referee is there to do. We are there to facilitate,not manipulate

Said it before but I really feel uneasy about referees manipulating the game to suit themselves. There was clearly no foul on the part of the attacking team whilst the defending team were sat on the ball last night but he decided to give a foul against the attacking team for his own benefit. It's creeping in to many situations under the guise of 'game management'. That's not what the referee is there to do. We are there to facilitate,not manipulate
Agreed, there are some aspects of 'safe refereeing' which are sensible. For example, i pointed out yesterday that an attacker is more likely to deliberately handle the ball in the opponent's PA, than a defender in the same situation, because the risk/downside of doing so is markedly different for the two players. There are also situations in which we don't know who the ball came off last, but it makes sense to err on the side of caution by favoring 'both' defenses. This incident last night however, was a grim decision. With two or three defenders deliberately lying on the ball, it was they who were guilty of dangerous play by endangering themselves. It's 'safe refereeing' taken to the extreme of inventing an infringement and decision

I was more interested in the decision in the last minute of injury time to award a defensive free kick when the ball was completely smothered on the goal line by defensive players. Anywhere else on the pitch and the decision would have gone to the attacking team. Safe refereeing at it's worst!
Would have loved a dropped ball in that ‘ruggger’ situation. It was comical defending!

Would have loved a dropped ball in that ‘ruggger’ situation. It was comical defending!
I used to think that a 'dropped ball' would be acceptable in this scenario, but the weight of opinion on here is that the player lying on the ball is the one guilty of DP. The one thing this was not, was a defensive free kick. If anyone thinks otherwise, i'm happy to be educated
BTW, Reach is really looking like a proper player

I used to think that a 'dropped ball' would be acceptable in this scenario, but the weight of opinion on here is that the player lying on the ball is the one guilty of DP. The one thing this was not, was a defensive free kick. If anyone thinks otherwise, i'm happy to be educated
Yes, no flukes when you do the classy stuff often enough... Maybe he's a Geordie Matt Le Tissier....

In all my years I have never seen anything like that at It was at level. It was like old days on the school yard.

So you'd go penalty?

According to the commentary, it was given for handball against Lees at the back post. Basically, a mass pile up happens and the referee resorts to a ‘quick, find anything to give a free kick’ approach

Who cares, all I will say is Reachinho … :) (although he will probably be playing for a different club by the end of January)

Who cares, all I will say is Reachinho … :) (although he will probably be playing for a different club by the end of January)
Don't fret. Mr Chansiri has a good record at digging his heels in... the price will most certainly have to be right and in my opinion it will have to be 7 figures, minimum.

Yes that's what I thought - I was asked on QPR fans forum what the free kick was for and struggled for an answer!

Don't fret. Mr Chansiri has a good record at digging his heels in... the price will most certainly have to be right and in my opinion it will have to be 7 figures, minimum.

Pretty sure you mean 8 figures, given we paid 7 figures for him (£5,000,000) … ?!

Back