A&H

West Ham v Leicester

Hmm, I think he intentionally "did him" there. He's moved into a totally different direction, having first had a look at the opponent.

Either way, it is 100% a red card.
Are you basing that on the still image?

Because from what I could judge on the multiple video replays I saw, it was clear to me that he was off balance from the previous challenge, was stumbling forward and the contact (which was clearly endangering an opponent and a clear red card) was entirely accidental.

Reactions: es1
The Referee Store

Because from what I could judge on the multiple video replays I saw, it was clear to me that he was off balance from the previous challenge, was stumbling forward and the contact (which was clearly endangering an opponent and a clear red card) was entirely accidental.
From my various replay viewings, the natural movement of his "stumbling forward" would have landed his left foot on a different place. I saw a deliberate movement of the foot to the left which caused the stumping. My judgment on that is the 'unnatural' movement was to shield the ball, not to stump on the opponent's foot.

I get that he was falling over, but I don't think if you are trying to regain your balance your leg moves out suddenly in a completely different direction. Whether he was aiming for the opponent or whether he was trying to plant his foot for protection or to shield the ball, as other have suggested may be the case, only he will know. Even if he was trying to shield the ball, that in its own right is usually a dangerous and risky action as you are going to have to go over the ball towards where and opponent's leg may be.

I'm sorry. This was a pro athlete who changed direction, took three steps and then extended his leg in an attempt to shield or tackle the ball. The idea that he accidentally stumbled into his opponent is laughable. He could have avoided that challenge but he decided to make it while off balance.

This is a competitive sport...you often have to make challenges or try and play the ball while off balance

This is a competitive sport...you often have to make challenges or try and play the ball while off balance
This is both true, and in no way takes away from your responsibility to do so in a safe way.

Reactions: one
Back