A&H

West Ham v Leicester

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Very good use of VAR. Awful challenge by Perez on Fornals that MO somehow missed in real time (maybe wrong side?), but asked to review by Darren England and correctly gave the red.

On a slight sidetone, it's good to see them showing replays on the big screens in stadiums after the decision has been made. Makes things much easier to understand as a match going fan (even if it didn't stop Schmeichel making a show of himself :oops:).

The Referee Store
No video yet but point of contact. Deliberate? Never. Endangering safety? Absolutely. The type of thing personally I want to see a reduced ban for, compared to the “sod-it”/ DILIGAF type of challenge

F129D164-2D67-4331-873D-B74F3B654CAF.jpeg

No video yet but point of contact. Deliberate? Never. Endangering safety? Absolutely. The type of thing personally I want to see a reduced ban for, compared to the “sod-it”/ DILIGAF type of challenge

View attachment 5122

I don't think he deliberately meant to put studs on his opponents leg, but then again I think almost no opponent means to do that. But he certainly deliberately decided to make that challenge while off balance and paid the price.

View attachment 5122

Yes I agree with this, not the same level as a proper 2 footed etc sfp challenge

Hmm, I think he intentionally "did him" there. He's moved into a totally different direction, having first had a look at the opponent.

Either way, it is 100% a red card.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with your 'stat' but take your point
People get very excited about "two footed' tackles but what percentage of horrible injuries are From 2 footed tackles?
1%?
Genuine question

People get very excited about "two footed' tackles but what percentage of horrible injuries are From 2 footed tackles?
1%?
Genuine question

The worst injuries come from completely innocuous situations and challenges, in terms of type of challenges I actually think majority would be single leg tbh!

I think the intention was to plant a foot for shielding the ball. He misjudge as well as mis-executed it. But intent here should only impact how long he is off for. It's a clear red.

(Just waiting for @bloovee with a comment on how City was hard done by in a similar (not really) incident 🤪)

I was in the stadium and no one had any idea what was going on until VAR started checking for a red card. I don't think many people thought it was a foul in real time so it was a complete surprise when the VAR check happened.

From a spectators view the VAR graphic appears and you have no idea what's going on or what happened until the decision is made then you see 1 replay from 1 angle. I thought it was a good and efficient use of VAR but the experience in the stadiums needs to be improved.

Edit:

When the tackle happens you barely hear anyone in the crowd appeal for it. Quite an unusual one for sure.

It's a crying shame that VAR entends beyond these C&O events, for which it was sold to us

Last edited:
I think part of the reason no one seemed to clock it in real-time, including MO, is that with the way the players were coming together, instinct is to be looking for an upper-body foul (of which there was none). It's not until you look downstairs, where the foot was planted that there is a problem, and a big problem at that. Perfect use of VAR

No foul given. Looked innocuous in real-time from the camera angle. Fans in the ground would've needed eagle-eyes to detect foul play
A 'disguised leg breaker'... First career dismissal AFAIK
It's a crying shame that VAR entends beyond these C&O events, for which it was sold to us
I think this becomes a serious missed incident rather than clear and obvious error. Not everything has to be clear and obviously wrong for VAR to be involved as per the protocol.

I think this becomes a serious missed incident rather than clear and obvious error. Not everything has to be clear and obviously wrong for VAR to be involved as per the protocol.
You know what I mean though, C&O, 'serious missed incident' aside

100% red card and I’ve absolutely no issue with VAR being used to give it. whatever Ayozes intention, it’s a horrendous challenge.

You know what I mean though, C&O, 'serious missed incident' aside

This was exactly what VAR was brought in for and should be used for. It was a horrendous challenge that, for whatever reason, the officials missed. I would say it was both a serious missed incident and a clear and obvious error, and Oliver didn't take much looking at the monitor to realise he'd missed a bad one.

Yeah, you're right. I too am furious that this awful and unsafe tackle was correctly spotted and punished. The game is gone...
This was exactly what VAR was brought in for and should be used for. It was a horrendous challenge that, for whatever reason, the officials missed. I would say it was both a serious missed incident and a clear and obvious error, and Oliver didn't take much looking at the monitor to realise he'd missed a bad one.
You may have misunderstood me... or maybe I wasn't clear.
We're agreed it was a leg breaker and a very good use of VAR.

Clearly no intent but definite SFP and a red. What I am interested in is why was the red card for Fabian Balbuena rescinded last year. Similar impact on opposing player and clearly no intent. For me both are SFP and a red card.

Back