A&H

Which pocket?

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
sorry if this seems like a daft question but probably like a few referees on here I have a referee wallet which holds my pencil, match cards and both my YC & RC. This the lives in my top pocket

Where does everyone else keep their "bits". I ask as if I wanted to use a pen instead of a pencil they are usually too long for my top pocket?

The Referee Store
Book and cards in one short pocket, pen in top pocket. I use a BIC

Used to desperate out yellow and reds into back pocket etc but find it easier to keep them all together

Coin lives in chest pocket

Whistle on lanyard

Wallet or waterproof notebook in shirt pocket. Yellow in right short pocket with pencil clipped to it. Red in back pocket. Coin tucked under sweatband on wrist

Yellow card and match record card = top pocket with pen clipped inside pocket. Never use pencil.
Coin kept here too but left top pocket.
Red card right pocket.
Yellow and red in left pocket for an SBO

Yellow in left shorts pocket, red in back pocket, and a retractable pencil clipped to top right shirt pocket to write on them with. Notebook in right shorts pocket, although I only use this if I'm not at senior levels, otherwise will write the numbers on the yellow and red card. Coin and spare pencil in same pocket as red card, and a spare coin in top left shirt pocket.

Wallet with match card, pencil and spare red & yellow in top right pocket, with coin tucked inside. Yellow card in left shorts pocket, with a card skin and a pencil clipped to it. Red card in shorts back right pocket with a card skin, though I'll generally use the wallet to take details, as they never hang around to give details once they see the red! I hate using cards from inside the wallet, especially if it's cold and wet as you can look like a prat trying to get them out.

Whistles on a wrist lanyard so I can 'drop' them to write stuff down.

My advice is do whatever feels comfortable to you. You'll get 101 different versions on here!

My advice is do whatever feels comfortable to you. You'll get 101 different versions on here!

Very true, but here's my preference:- a yellow card in both side shorts pockets, red in the back pocket, a notebook with no visible cards in my shirt pocket along with 2 pens. I have a small coin wallet with a coin and 2 pencils (in case of rain) hooked to the waistband of my shorts (inside of course). Oh, whistle on a wrist lanyard.

Not a fan of back pocket red for same reasons as @UKColt doesnt use the wallet. I always struggle with the velcro on the pocket ehen its cold so like to have no problems fetching the red out when required so right pocket it is.

Not a fan of back pocket red for same reasons as @UKColt doesnt use the wallet. I always struggle with the velcro on the pocket ehen its cold so like to have no problems fetching the red out when required so right pocket it is.

I used to keep yellow in the left pocket and red in the right but after once, having a senior moment in the changing room and putting them in the opposite pockets, I got the red out instead of yellow. The player was horrified, so was I! Fortunately, I had only taken it out of my pocket and didn't hold it up so got the yellow out instead. Since then I switched to red in my back pocket. I've used it many times in all weathers and never struggled getting it out. As said before though; it's all down to personal preference and there's no right and wrong.

There's a referee in our district who still does this! I kid you not?
As an ex smoker myself I cant understand why a ref would smoke around the pitch? Id maybe have one on the way and then not smoke again until I had left the ground. I certainly would never have lit up ay half time.

I used to keep yellow in the left pocket and red in the right but after once, having a senior moment in the changing room and putting them in the opposite pockets, I got the red out instead of yellow. The player was horrified, so was I! Fortunately, I had only taken it out of my pocket and didn't hold it up so got the yellow out instead. Since then I switched to red in my back pocket. I've used it many times in all weathers and never struggled getting it out. As said before though; it's all down to personal preference and there's no right and wrong.
Absolutely - sorry I wasnt saying anyone was wrong just my personal preference. As I keep my yellow in the top and two cards in the left it keeps me safe ( I hope) from a similar situation :D

As I look, spare cards and coin top left pocket behind the badge, book/pen & yellow (not in the book) top right, red shorts back pocket (nice and close to my backside :D ).

Not a fan of keeping cards in my shorts front pockets as I always think they might fall out, but I do keep a snot rag in the right one!

I used to worry about cards in front pockets as well, but the depth of the pockets means that it's quite difficult for them to fall out. I've never lost one during a game even when I'm sprinting up and down. Though I do have a spare red & yellow in my wallet as well in case I do!

I like the good old yellow left pocket red in back short pocket book in my left shirt with Spair pen depending what kit I'm wearing as I might change it but that usually is my items

I like to keep things simple.

Top left match wallet with red and yellow and power tank pen.
Spare whistle in left shorts pocket
Spare mini pencil in my left sock.
Coin goes in my top right pocket.

I'll probably go back to refs world write in the rain note book and separate cards next season, thought I'd give the wallet a good try but after a full season I've decided I'm not a fan.

I'm really not a fan of the new Nike shorts, they've really messed up my system by not having a back left pocket. On my old shorts when using write-on cards, it was a pen and yellow in left chest pocket (easy to reach with right hand) and red back left (easy to reach with left hand). You'd still need a notebook or similar in your right shorts pocket to record goals/subs etc. Now, the red goes in the back right and I have to do a slightly awkward reach to my chest with my left hand before going for the red. Bad times.

Red top left pocket. Yellow left short pocket with coin
Pencil in wristband on right arm
Spare pencil in sock top
Whistle on lsnyward left hand
Wallet in right hand pocket

Works for me at mom but I'd easily change that and be comfortable

Back