A&H
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotRef

RefChat Addict
I posted a thread about the Valkeen whistle a while few days ago and it made me wonder what whistles are commonly used or any people enjoy using.
Personally I have only ever used the Fox 40 Classic and was wondering if any people prefer other brands such as molten or Acme?

The Referee Store
Started with a fox 40. Then acme thunderer, then sonik blast then valkeen.
1. VALKEEN
2. BLAST
3. FOX 40
4. THUNDERER

I've lost at least three Valkeens :oops:
I've nearly swallowed a couple an'all when KMI's have gone tits up

Started with a fox 40. Then acme thunderer, then sonik blast then valkeen.
1. VALKEEN
2. BLAST
3. FOX 40
4. THUNDERER
I’ll definitely pick up a Blast whistle. I’ll probably get a Valkeen when I hopefully progress further up and there is more use for it

I mostly use the fox 40 mini or the dolfin, which sound reasonably similar to one another. (Since I like the dolfin, I'm pretty sure I'd like the Valkeen, too, but I'm just not willing to pay that for a whistle.)

When fields are next to one another, I usually use either the Fox 40 Pearl or the Acme Tornado that looks like a bend piece of gum--because they have a more unusual sound. But I think they are both harder to "talk" with than the mini or the dolfin.

I have a handful of others that I use from time to time. I like the newer Fox 40 Fusion better than the classic (but neither as much as the mini). I've used the Sonic Blast and thunderer, but never particularly liked them. I had a devastator (that's the one with a spin wheel inside instead of a ball), but was luke warm on it--I lost it at a tournament and never got another one. I also still have a metal whistle with a ball in it from when I first reffed as a youth, but I never use it.

And I have a few others, but since I haven't had my ref bag out since February, I don't remember what else is in there. :(

I have 2 that I use, the fox 40 classic which is imo great never had any problems with it and if you can get the right tone is perfect, not too loud but loud enough that everyone knows what’s going on and gives you enough authority. I only use my Fox 40 Sonik Blast for mass confs or when a ref next to me on another pitch has a fox 40 or other loud whistle to show the players which whistle to listen to with its unique high pitched tone and loudness, only problem is blowing it next to another players ears will bring complaints and they won’t be happy because of how loud it is which for me in kids football is something I definitely try to avoid to avoid a problem with parents/managers about it

I mostly use the fox 40 mini or the dolfin, which sound reasonably similar to one another. (Since I like the dolfin, I'm pretty sure I'd like the Valkeen, too, but I'm just not willing to pay that for a whistle.)

When fields are next to one another, I usually use either the Fox 40 Pearl or the Acme Tornado that looks like a bend piece of gum--because they have a more unusual sound. But I think they are both harder to "talk" with than the mini or the dolfin.

I have a handful of others that I use from time to time. I like the newer Fox 40 Fusion better than the classic (but neither as much as the mini). I've used the Sonic Blast and thunderer, but never particularly liked them. I had a devastator (that's the one with a spin wheel inside instead of a ball), but was luke warm on it--I lost it at a tournament and never got another one. I also still have a metal whistle with a ball in it from when I first reffed as a youth, but I never use it.

And I have a few others, but since I haven't had my ref bag out since February, I don't remember what else is in there. :(
its a tie for me between the pearl and the fusion as my most hated whistle, awful

I have 2 that I use, the fox 40 classic which is imo great never had any problems with it and if you can get the right tone is perfect, not too loud but loud enough that everyone knows what’s going on and gives you enough authority. I only use my Fox 40 Sonik Blast for mass confs or when a ref next to me on another pitch has a fox 40 or other loud whistle to show the players which whistle to listen to with its unique high pitched tone and loudness, only problem is blowing it next to another players ears will bring complaints and they won’t be happy because of how loud it is which for me in kids football is something I definitely try to avoid to avoid a problem with parents/managers about it
I'm exactly this! Nothing else to add, you've basically written my entire thought process out for me!

Used the Sonik Blast once when being observed going 5-4, observer and the ARs all said it sounded awful and I've never used it again since!

Most of the time I use my Valkeen knock-off, occasionally for a change I'll use my Fox 40 Epik or Acme Tornado 2000.

Alex ^ pointed me in the direction of the Valkeen knock off and its all I use.
Have a dolfin for backup if needed but never used it

Started with Fox 40, used for a couple of years. Then used sonic blast for about 5 years and moved to Valkeen. I have tried tornado and a few others for entire games and still do for the fun of it. I was collecting whistles for a year or two. I have about 40 different types. My first choice is Valkeen and fall back to blast if I have to. My blast has a flipgrip (from Valkeen).

When I was colleting, I was catching a train to work (in Sydney) I saw a train conductor blow a peaed stainless steel ACME. I told him I'm a referee and I'd like to buy one, where can I get it? He asked me to his office and gave me a brand new one. I insisted to pay but he said take it as a gift. I still use it from time to time and drew a smile or two on the kick off whistle.

I’m very much a Dolfin fan. The Fox 40 is ubiquitous and as I do quite a few games at multiple pitch venues having a different sound is a godsend

Used the Sonik Blast once when being observed going 5-4, observer and the ARs all said it sounded awful and I've never used it again since!

Most of the time I use my Valkeen knock-off, occasionally for a change I'll use my Fox 40 Epik or Acme Tornado 2000.
I used the Sonik Blast for a few months and I genuinely think it’s affected my ears. It’s such a shrill sound and I noticed my hearing ‘crackles’ at certain harsh sounds now. I’m convinced it’s because of its shrill tone.

Now use the Fox 40 which generally sounds good. Still getting used to it though and I’ve noticed it sounds to me considerably louder than it is when I’m able to watch a filmed game back

My primary whistle combination is a Kakapo whistle as my primary and an Acme 635 Tornado as my backup. Both have distinct tones from the Fox 40, with the Kakapo being a higher pitch and the Acme being a much lower pitch. The Kakapo is the best pealess whistle I've used for being able to vary the intensity of tones (in other words, I can "talk" with it a lot more).

My backup combination (primarily for when I'm working indoors whether for small-sided/futsal or on a full-sized field) is an Acme Thunderer pea whistle as a primary and a Fox Fusion as a second whistle. I don't like using the Fusion outdoors much since it's pretty quiet. However, the tone is different enough from a Fox 40 to use indoors.

I use the Valkeen and it is top notch. In the rare incident that I use a different whistle, I use a Fox 40 Classic.

I’ve been looking to get one. Not sure where though

I got mine from heyref.ca (a Canadian company) but that was a long time ago when you could hardly find them. I also didn't pay for it as I was gifted a certificate and used it to buy that a few other things. Is it worth the money? Probably, but a Fox 40 will do the trick for almost every thing.

Used a Sonik Blast (no mouthguard) for last 10 seasons. Great sound and players know where I am. Easy to make it “talk” and communicate any decision

Used a Sonik Blast (no mouthguard) for last 10 seasons. Great sound and players know where I am. Easy to make it “talk” and communicate any decision
i have a valkeen but for me ir's secomd to my sonik blast with mouthguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back