A&H

WOL Vs WHU

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Gary O'Neil complaining once again but I've just seen the footage and what is there to complain about??

Player stood in front of the Keeper, clearly blocks his view of the ball so interferes and therefore offside.

2:35 onwards

The Referee Store
Was Fabianski going to save the shot? Not a chance.

However in a world where one of the main complaints on the laws are subjectivity, an offside attacker directly between the GK and the shot is about as objective as it can get. If you try to add if the gk was skilled enough to save it you're adding subjectivity.

Also, what's the whole point off the offside law? You don't get to stand in front of goal and impact play. Compared to some of the absurd offside decisions we've gotten I'm having trouble being bothered on this one.

Hello everyone!

For my learning, could somebody please kindly explain why the Wolves goal against West Ham was disallowed?

I understand that the Wolves player obstructed the line of view of the goalkeeper, thereby committing an offside offence due to obstruction. However, I was under the impression that you cannot commit an offside offence directly from a corner kick.

If somebody could clarify this for me, I would be most grateful. Kind regards!

Hello everyone!

For my learning, could somebody please kindly explain why the Wolves goal against West Ham was disallowed?

I understand that the Wolves player obstructed the line of view of the goalkeeper, thereby committing an offside offence due to obstruction. However, I was under the impression that you cannot commit an offside offence directly from a corner kick.

If somebody could clarify this for me, I would be most grateful. Kind regards!

The player obstructed the line of sight from the header, not directly from the corner.

From what I've just seen on the highlights, looks like a correct decision.

I’m biased as a Wolves fan, but to be fair to O’Neil, we have been robbed several times this season and he said Moyes and Fabianski both disagreed with the decision, ie thought it was onside. However, once the VAR spots this in the Prem it’s almost nailed on they will disallow the goal. Contradicting myself again, he was getting nowhere near the ball imho regardless. Think what you like on this one.
Edit: just seen more footage on MOTD and imo fabianski can actually see the ball, therefore hasn’t been interfered with.

Last edited:
The way the laws are written I do not see an offence there. There's no way he's influenced the outcome at all.

I'm getting really fed up with the MOTD pundits and their ilk. even when they put the rules up they still don't understand them. For me, the Wolves player is clearly obstructing Fabianski's line of sight. Is there a debate as to whether it prevented Fabianski from playing the ball? Yes, there's a debate, but he was less than a yard away, and I'd imagine this would be given at lots of different levels. It isn't the awful decision so many are claiming, and I'd be amazed if the review group doesn't subsequently come out and support the decision.

They should really start throwing the book at O'Neil for his post-match comments.

Gary O'Neil complaining once again but I've just seen the footage and what is there to complain about??

Player stood in front of the Keeper, clearly blocks his view of the ball so interferes and therefore offside.

2:35 onwards
Think managers and coaches need to look at the tactic of putting somebody on goalkeeper, rather than blaming referees and VAR. Always a high chance it will be a foul on the keeper or/and offside.

Think it was a harsh decision (albeit I am biased!). Think the decision was made before he got to the screen to be honest. However, in law it is correct, but could also be correct if given as there is a level of subjectivity.

What is wrong is the behaviour and reaction of players and coaches - that needs to improve.

Last edited:
Look at the state of football when people are even suggesting this shouldn’t be given. He’s virtually stood on the keepers toes and got refs and pundits arguing this isn’t interference because he probably wasnt going to save it. If we aren’t calling that then might as well not call any. This shouldn’t even be debatable.

I’m biased as a Wolves fan, but to be fair to O’Neil, we have been robbed several times this season and he said Moyes and Fabianski both disagreed with the decision, ie thought it was onside. However, once the VAR spots this in the Prem it’s almost nailed on they will disallow the goal. Contradicting myself again, he was getting nowhere near the ball imho regardless. Think what you like on this one.
Edit: just seen more footage on MOTD and imo fabianski can actually see the ball, therefore hasn’t been interfered with.
I feel like whilst he may be able to somewhat see the ball, a player moving across your vision is very, very off-putting and makes it almost impossible if you lose sight of the ball for even milliseconds.

I know freeze frames don't do much, but is there any chance another angle was looked at for this (underlined) player playing the player blocking the keeper inside from the header?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-102708~2.png
    Screenshot_20240407-102708~2.png
    532.6 KB · Views: 30
I know freeze frames don't do much, but is there any chance another angle was looked at for this (underlined) player playing the player blocking the keeper inside from the header?
I hadn’t actually thought of that. I’m assuming (hoping) they noticed that.

The stills are rubbish for this. The Wolves player clearly walks backwards into Fabianski forcing him to step back as the cross comes in.

That is clearly impacting his ability to make a save - he’s prevented from moving toward the ball.

I thought the MOTD analysis on this was disgraceful, they were stirring up more hatred towards referees despite the officials getting the decision correct based on the law

For me it’s not even a discussion, however you look at it, the player is offside and is blocking the keepers view. Whether the keeper has a chance of saving it is immaterial to the law

For me it’s not even a discussion, however you look at it, the player is offside and is blocking the keepers view. Whether the keeper has a chance of saving it is immaterial to the law
You're both missing out part of the law.

The law doesn't say it's an offence to interfere with an opponent by blocking their view while in an offside position.

It says that it's an offence if a player in an offside position interferes with an opponent by, "preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision."

Simply blocking their view isn't enough - they also have to prevent them from playing (or being able to play) the ball.

So the question of whether the keeper ever had a chance of reaching the ball is relevant to the decision.

Let's take an extreme example - say for instance that the keeper is standing just outside the left hand post and an offside-positioned player clearly blocks their view of the ball as a player level with the right hand post heads it into the net.

Offside offence? I don't think so. This incident is perhaps not quite as clear a scenario, but I still think there's an argument to be had.

As for the Match of the Day pundits stirring things up, I'd have to partly disagree. The vehemence with which they stated it was rather exaggerated and I think they were wrong to say the OPP didn't obstruct the keeper's view, but they did also partly base their argument on the entirely valid point that the law says that opponent has to be prevented from playing or being able to play the ball.

The laws aren't written like that... Never have been.
OK...still doesn't tick any offside boxes

Hasn't played or attempted to play it
Doesn't block or challenge the keeper playing it
Doesn't interfere with the keepers ability to play it

Back