A&H

world cup appointments

If there's anything that's surprised me it's how small the VAR pool is. They have their small group and they're gonna stick with it.

Its quite incredible how three of the most experienced VAR nations (USA, ITA, and NED) all missed the world cup and pretty much left those refs with an open slate.
Australia was the first to implement VAR in their national league HAL. The don't have any reps either. I would love to see the selection criteria for VAR.

The Referee Store
do they have a reserve list of referees in case of illness /injury

No, they will simply chose another of the refereeing teams.

If the referee is injured, then that will be it for a referee team. An AR can be replaced on a team (as has happened in the past).

Wednesday
Portugal : Morocco - Geiger (USA)
Uruguay : Saudi Arabia - Turpin (FRA)
Iran : Spain - Cunha (URU)

Cunha is the first ref to get a 2nd match.

Finally time that I've been waiting for, Brych getting his first appointment for this WC. He will be in charge for Serbia-Switzerland on Friday.

Kuipers will get his second match of the tournament in Costa Rica-Brasil game.

New Zealandian referee Matthew Conger will officiate Nigeria-Iceland.

Here's tomorrows assignments

Denmark-Australia - Lahoz (ESP)
France-Peru - Mohammed (UAE)
Argentina-Croatia - Irmatov (UZB)

Finally time that I've been waiting for, Brych getting his first appointment for this WC. He will be in charge for Serbia-Switzerland on Friday.

Kuipers will get his second match of the tournament in Costa Rica-Brasil game.

New Zealandian referee Matthew Conger will officiate Nigeria-Iceland.
We reckon he's not had a match yet because he's favourite for the final and they want to save his legs?

We reckon he's not had a match yet because he's favourite for the final and they want to save his legs?
Quite possible, but equally possible that they know some of the refs are not of the calibre to referee at the later more advanced stages of the competition so give them the easier non significant games so to speak.

Thursday

Belgium : Tunisia - Marrufo (USA)
Korea : Mexico - Mazic (SRB)
Germany : Sweden - Marciniak (POL)

Ryuji Sato will make his third appearance as a fourth official in Germany-Sweden. Only ref to have three appearances in this WC?

Last edited:
Serbia-Brazil is a massive match now.

Who do you think gets it?

Brych and Kuipers are out. Maybe Cakir if they go down the European route? Geiger or Irmatov if they go for neutrality. That will be an interesting assignment.

Back