A&H

World cup final

How ****ing sh*t is that!

He has to give it! It's HB and PK by the laws as they stand.
But how embarassing for Pitana - watch again and again - he so doesn't want to give it... but has to!

But no VAR for Griezeman's dive!

Terrible terrible terrible

No Santa he doesn’t have to give it.

It was no way delibrate, a slight brush off arm onto his knee.

Give that you give 5 per game

The Referee Store
This also shows the handball laws are wrong.
The guidance on unnatural position has become dominant.
Unexpected ball must be a key criterion.
But we must get back to e.g. deliberate and gaining an advantage.
It's embarrassing.

And VAR is pitiful.

Of course Pitana could not make the decision he wanted to make. Of course he didn't want to give that. He pulled away and then went for one more look. He didn't want to give it but had to based on the guidance. And the protocol - which does not work!

Dismal absolutely dismal.

3 minutes stoppage time yet the ball was out-of-play for over 4 minutes whilst VAR interfered

This also shows the handball laws are wrong.
The guidance on unnatural position has become dominant.
Unexpected ball must be a key criterion.
But we must get back to e.g. deliberate and gaining an advantage.
It's embarrassing.

And VAR is pitiful.

Of course Pitana could not make the decision he wanted to make. Of course he didn't want to give that. He pulled away and then went for one more look. He didn't want to give it but had to based on the guidance. And the protocol - which does not work!

Dismal absolutely dismal.
It already is though Santa.

1) the position of the hand does not neccessarily mean there is an offence

2)  the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

On those two criterion that is not handball.

Cynical foul there by Strinic no yellow

Can someone please remind me of the 4th official?

Think Fifa got there wires crossed

I know it's there but there has been so much focus on "unnatural position" that it is clouding judgement.

I maintain that based on this tournament, which - let's face it, has it's own laws, that I hope do not enter the rest of the game - based on this tournament, it's handball.

Pitana has done what Collina and the refs in the VAR have asked. Why would they recommend a review if they didn't think it was HB?
It's a nonsense. But I don't blame Pitana here.

If VAR worked then it would have chalked off the first goal - giving the DFK was a clear and obvious error - and they'd have never recommended a review for the second.

With no VAR this would be 1-1 and we'd have a game of football.

Absolutely agree. Any other poor communication on the subject, is only clarification or interpretation of words which are already pretty clear (for a change)
The defender should have chopped his arm off before commencing play
As for the Clear & Obvious thing, we gave up on this a good while back

Croatia can feel very aggrieved. The first goal shouldn't have stood, and I think for two reasons. The obvious one that there is no way it was a foul for the free kick, so that should have been reviewed. Then I also think there is a very possible offside on the goal - Pogba is stood offside and challenges Mandzucic as he heads it.

For the penalty I'm hot having that as intentional. He was jumping so yes his arms were out, and they were coming back down as the ball hit him. I've said this so many times, but you cannot jump like a penguin with your arms pinned by your sides.

I know it's there but there has been so much focus on "unnatural position" that it is clouding judgement.

I maintain that based on this tournament, which - let's face it, has it's own laws, that I hope do not enter the rest of the game - based on this tournament, it's handball.

Pitana has done what Collina and the refs in the VAR have asked. Why would they recommend a review if they didn't think it was HB?
It's a nonsense. But I don't Pitana here.

If VAR worked then it would have chalked off the first goal - giving the DFK was a clear and obvious error - and they'd have never recommended a review for the second.

My biggest worry is that collina/ifab come out and say now 99.4% accurate as it was a correct decision.

As we know, its not the wording of the law
And, I for one am not privvy to instructions for this tournament
However, its been clear to me that its along lines of, did the defender do anything to avoid the ball striking the hand
If not, then pk.

It's a nonsense. But I don't Pitana here.

Santa, you might have a point that FIFA now want this to be a HB
But surely they can't move the goalposts on a whim in the World Cup
The rest of us can't go into a new season refereeing by way of hearsay and guesswork

As we know, its not the wording of the law
And, I for one am not privvy to instructions for this tournament
However, its been clear to me that its along lines of, did the defender do anything to avoid the ball striking the hand
If not, then pk.
Not even elite sportsmen have reactions quick enough to avoid that

Back