A&H

''You can't book me ref''

Danwilliams

Level 7 Referee
had a game today under 11s blue vs reds blue player slide tackled missed the ball completely got the red player as it was a reckless challenge I called him over asked for his name shown him the yellow and he just said you can't book me and the players where shocked that I gave him a yellow card Honestly why do under 11's think they can't be given a yellow card?

The Referee Store
had a game today under 11s blue vs reds blue player slide tackled missed the ball completely got the red player as it was a reckless challenge I called him over asked for his name shown him the yellow and he just said you can't book me and the players where shocked that I gave him a yellow card Honestly why do under 11's think they can't be given a yellow card?
you just did next weeks ref a big favour. nice one

One adult player once said to me as I took his name.... 'Ref, ive never been booked in 20 years playing' my reply 'You suprise me, I nearly carded you in the first half!'.... ;)

Honestly why do under 11's think they can't be given a yellow card?
This subject has been discussed many times over the years, on here and at ref meetings etc and something most will never agree on.

There appears to be an unwritten rule that is generally accepted/expected by most including referees that you don't card until they reach u13s 11v11, this has obviously fed down to the players. So when they do receive their first card, it's usually a culture shock.

As I mentioned on here before, was at a ref's meeting a couple of years ago and the very subject was discussed. One referee said he never cards until u18s. :mad::confused:

Bottom line is, your the referee and if you felt the foul was serious enough, you have every right to show a card. Well done!

Personally when I used to ref 11/12s, I would try to avoid usually cards unless I felt it was absolutely necessary, although did red card U12s player (manager's son) for SFP! Down here in the Dorset/Bournemouth leagues from the games I have seen yellow/red cards at u13s/14s still seem few and fair apart.... my card count at this age is probably one of the highest! :D

I try to avoid cards where possible up to and including U13. I use them if I need to but am less likely to than with an U16 game. However this is also because at that age you're only going to have one or two fouls and not really any dissent!

Over here generally about U13/14s before cards unspoken rule, a quick word coaching point to them, if they don't listen say hello to my little friend!

I try to avoid cards where possible up to and including U13. I use them if I need to but am less likely to than with an U16 game. However this is also because at that age you're only going to have one or two fouls and not really any dissent!
Generally I'm the same, but only up to U12 - when they get to U13 and start 11v11 I think it's good practice to use cards where the law says we should. I gave my first ever card 3 weeks back to an U13 lad who gave a very 'Kevin & Perry' stroppy comment of "oooh my godddd your so biased ref". His manager come to talk to me at HT and I told him what he said he couldn't apoligise enough. I later saw the same kid getting into his Dad's car, the manager - I expect there was parental coaching going on in that car :)

Generally I'm the same, but only up to U12 - when they get to U13 and start 11v11 I think it's good practice to use cards where the law says we should. I gave my first ever card 3 weeks back to an U13 lad who gave a very 'Kevin & Perry' stroppy comment of "oooh my godddd your so biased ref". His manager come to talk to me at HT and I told him what he said he couldn't apoligise enough. I later saw the same kid getting into his Dad's car, the manager - I expect there was parental coaching going on in that car :)
Love the strops..ref there's two teams..oh wait yes there are thank you for the advice!

It's been a long time since I've done any kids football, but my philosophy was always that I had cards if I needed them, but that the kids should be given much more leniency. Only gave 2 in about 10 matches then - one for persistent dissent and another for a chest high, studs first tackle. Maybe that could have been red in an OA match, but the player who committed the tackle was clearly distraught that he'd hurt someone and accepted the card with no complaints (unlike his mother on the sidelines, who was furious!)

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've done any kids football, but my philosophy was always that I had cards if I needed them, but that the kids should be given much more leniency. Only gave 2 in about 10 matches then - one for persistent dissent and another for a chest high, studs first tackle. Maybe that could have been red in an OA match, but the player who committed the tackle was clearly distraught that he'd hurt someone was accepted the card with no complaints (unlike his mother on the sidelines, who was furious!)
Love the good aul parents protecting their little darlings! You need a licence for a dog, but anyone is allowed to breed?

The team my son's u14s side played on Sunday were another of those who were clearly used to their behaviour not receiving any sanction. Loads of petty fouls followed by bucket loads of dissent if the referee dared blow for it. Ref did eventually yellow card one of their players for one of the most blatant handballs I have ever seen at youth level (high diagonal ball out towards winger, defender intercepts by jumping with arm stretched above his head basketball style), again award of free kick was greeted by plenty of verbals from several players. Referee might need refreshing on correct carding procedure though as he didn't bother calling the player over, just waved the card in the direction of the player from about 30 yards away! :confused:

Carded an u13s player last season after a series of fouls in a short space of time by his team mates despite the warnings. Team obviously trying it on contacted home side and FA that evening to enquire if was authorised to show cards! :D

Technically it shouldn't matter how old they are but we all have to understand that kids are learning and that should be respected, that said, if the little ****** deserves one, shove it up his nose like any other LOL....

My youngest was an under eight, 4-5 intentional bullying fouls, repeated warnings, no choice if he isn't listening or his coach wasn't taking heed!!

You should never have agreed to referee your lad's team, not if he was such a dirty player........

I used to suggest a coach make a substitution to give a player a 'time out' on the naughty step. Worked a treat, with roll on subs it doesnt affect the match too much but gets the message across.

I was asked to ref an u15s game that had been abandoned twice in the previous 2 attempts. I was very firm with the coaches beforehand, using my responsibilities under safeguarding legislation to drive home the point. I am helped by being in my 40's so they couldn't bully and intimidate me like they do the usual youth refs on the league.

I love doing Youth games (u15/16), I find that I spend most of the game building a rapport with the players about what an utter set of Bellends the parents on the sidelines are.

Back