A&H

Feisty one today!

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
4 lemons today but i want your thoughts on one of them.. After a combative first half with two yellows, first one PI for 3-4 fouls (sweary verbals and fouls) (I book him every time I see him). Then another player for verbals against first player where I only heard the response which was enough for UB (sweary verbals).
(No kids were in the vicinity)
Now they have a right back who is quite rotund. His team was losing 0-2 and he was trying to hurry up the opposing (equally rotund left back, and long time adversary). In a very jokey voice he shouts 'hurry up fat cnut'... many players laughed on both sides, (a few asked the card question) but after what had gone before (which wasn't jokey) I followed through with a yellow card for UB. Yes, I could have ignored it as banter, yes I could have sent him off, I think I did it about right in only showing a yellow...Agree??......Takes cover!!!!!

The Referee Store
awright i probabally need to take cover as well. you seemed to have the game under control and no other players seemed to upset, lol i might have gone with a quick bollocking

Very harsh SF, a yellow for telling the truth........

Joking aside, sounds about right to me, only you can judge whether a verbal or a yellow was correct.

Had it been aggressive I would have jumped straight to the 'Bye Bye' side... Cnut isn't a great word at all, especially at a referee.

However, when a player scores a flukey goal and a player laughing calls him a 'Lucky Cnut', are you sending off for that!?? I'm not!!!

Red card whatever the context....... a player cannot call another a c***......

That's rubbish.

C*nt can, believe it or not be used as a term of endearment if in the correct tone.

Any word can. You think all these black rappers are racially abusing each other when they call each other the N word as a collective for their friends?

Had it been aggressive I would have jumped straight to the 'Bye Bye' side... Cnut isn't a great word at all, especially at a referee.

However, when a player scores a flukey goal and a player laughing calls him a 'Lucky Cnut', are you sending off for that!?? I'm not!!!

Agree entirely with all that post.

I keep telling you all, it's all about the context!
Always give yourself the option of using cards and not using cards. You can still be effective either way.

That's rubbish.

C*nt can, believe it or not be used as a term of endearment if in the correct tone.

Any word can. You think all these black rappers are racially abusing each other when they call each other the N word as a collective for their friends?
We are taking about on the football pitch here not a recording studio......

You can make all the excuses you wish it is your perogative as a referee, but for me a red card every time for the word c***. I've shown a red twice in two seasons for it and both different "context" and there was no appeal hearings, the players walked with no protest and no comments from coach/manager. Oh by the way in my pre-match talk when i mention dissent,arguing etc. i do mention the fact i don't want to hear the word c***. So they are told, in front of their managers so i go that extra mile in match management because the end of the day if an offending player is walking i can say " You were told before kick off "

Reactions: DB
I forgot, a lot more people will hear it if it's on the pitch between the George and the Dog and Duck than an album listened to by millions...

Ok, rightly or wrongly I often call my friends a c*nt if we're out and about, as is the case the opposite way round. As I said, term of endearment.

If I missed a sitter on the football pitch I would fully expect some piss taking, which would almost certainly result in the use of that word in a jokey and friendly tone, resulting in me laughing.

You would send somebody off for that?

If I missed a sitter on the football pitch I would fully expect some piss taking, which would almost certainly result in the use of that word in a jokey and friendly tone, resulting in me laughing.

I certainly wouldn't.

I forgot, a lot more people will hear it if it's on the pitch between the George and the Dog and Duck than an album listened to by millions...

Ok, rightly or wrongly I often call my friends a c*nt if we're out and about, as is the case the opposite way round. As I said, term of endearment.

As i previously said, in my pre-match talk this word is mentioned in the context of "I do not want to hear the word C*** ( i actually spell it out) if i do then its a red" So yes i would, why as a player would you use that word there are hundreds of words to use instead.

Back