A&H

Feisty one today!

As i previously said, in my pre-match talk this word is mentioned in the context of "I do not want to hear the word C*** ( i actually spell it out) if i do then its a red" So yes i would, why as a player would you use that word there are hundreds of words to use instead.

So you'd immediately be out with the red, rather than bring the player in, perhaps with the captain and warn them that you've asked previously but if it appears again you'd have no choice?

The Referee Store
Oh dear....more people who believe that a yellow card is acceptable, or even permissable, for dealing with offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures........

And we wonder why player behaviour is getting worse? It's because of referees like this who shirk their responsibilities to deal with offences with the correct sanction.....then dress it up in whichever way allows them to self justify it.

Reactions: DB
With an attitude like that you'd certainly need the 'Force to be with you' PF....South Yorkshire Police Force :)

So you'd immediately be out with the red, rather than bring the player in, perhaps with the captain and warn them that you've asked previously but if it appears again you'd have no choice?
I'm not that heartless i'd bring player + captain in and say " In the pre-match talk i mentioned the fact i do not want to hear the word c*** (will wait for response), unfortunately you have, and i am now going to send you off for foul and abusive language" ....... Players do not look at " context " when swearing, what if ten minutes later whatever the "context" another player said it and you quite rightly sent him off and he says " but he said it and you didn't send him off" he's not going to stand there and listen to you waffling on about "context"....

Oh dear....more people who believe that a yellow card is acceptable, or even permissable, for dealing with offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures........

And we wonder why player behaviour is getting worse? It's because of referees like this who shirk their responsibilities to deal with offences with the correct sanction.....then dress it up in whichever way allows them to self justify it.
I agree, i sometimes think some referees (no wish to offend) circumvent the laws for easier match management and less player confrontation.

As i previously said, in my pre-match talk this word is mentioned in the context of "I do not want to hear the word C*** ( i actually spell it out) if i do then its a red" So yes i would, why as a player would you use that word there are hundreds of words to use instead.

So in reality, you have set a standard that you can't or won't back down from. Why mentioned the c word at all? What about all the other words that cross your personal censorship boundary?

I'm not that heartless i'd bring player + captain in and say " In the pre-match talk i mentioned the fact i do not want to hear the word c*** (will wait for response), unfortunately you have, and i am now going to send you off for foul and abusive language" ....... Players do not look at " context " when swearing, what if ten minutes later whatever the "context" another player said it and you quite rightly sent him off and he says " but he said it and you didn't send him off" he's not going to stand there and listen to you waffling on about "context"....

Unbelievable!

I'm not that heartless. But...

What if the player concerned was completely unaware of your request up until the point you walked him?

Genuinely in shock!

I agree, i sometimes think some referees (no wish to offend) circumvent the laws for easier match management and less player confrontation.

I disagree, and think some referees mis-interpret the laws to satisfy their own feeling of importance and to encourage player confrontation.

So in reality, you have set a standard that you can't or won't back down from. Why mentioned. It at all? What about all the other words that cross your personal censorship boundary?
Most of my matches are on public parks (even if not would still apply) would you want to walk within earshot of a pitch with your wife (and child) and hear players shouting it at the top of their voices i certainly would not, i hope that in any future match and you deal with the situation your way, it doesn't have any future repercussions for you..... but at some point it will.
As for other words,players swearing vocabulary is quite often limited to certain words so it is not that extensive for me to worry about.. thanks :)

Unbelievable!

I'm not that heartless. But...

What if the player concerned was completely unaware of your request up until the point you walked him?
Thats because i make sure all players inc. subs hear the pre-match talk... well i do anyway

Genuinely in shock!

Oh no! The only sanction for offinabus is dismissal. What is intriguing is the different views of what officious is.

So, lets have a vote.. What would you have done in the situation today?

1. Bollocking
2. Yellow
3. Red.....

One vote each!!!

I am probably going to end up in trouble now in my last comment on this discussion :
There are some referees out there who should go on a refresher course or re-read the LOAF, genuinely disappointed in some of you allowing players to swear as they seemingly please if they do it in your context....... ho! hum! at least it's nearly Christmas...
I referee to the best of my ability, and no i'm not perfect (who is) but in 12 years of refereeing i have had 2 disciplinary hearings ( found both in my favour) so i must be doing something right :) but i is a happy bunny and chugging along............

I am probably going to end up in trouble now in my last comment on this discussion :
There are some referees out there who should go on a refresher course or re-read the LOAF, genuinely disappointed in some of you allowing players to swear as they seemingly please if they do it in your context....... ho! hum! at least it's nearly Christmas...
I referee to the best of my ability, and no i'm not perfect (who is) but in 12 years of refereeing i have had 2 disciplinary hearings ( found both in my favour) so i must be doing something right :) but i is a happy bunny and chugging along............

Possibly referring to the "LOAF" instead of "LOTG" and "Foul and abusive language" instead of "OFFINABUS" aren't really strengthening your argument as both terms are outdated and no longer used........

Sorry.

Possibly referring to the "LOAF" instead of "LOTG" and "Foul and abusive language" instead of "OFFINABUS" aren't really strengthening your argument as both terms are outdated and no longer used........

Sorry.
Ooops ! but i'm sure they get my context :)

So in reality, you have set a standard that you can't or won't back down from. Why mentioned the c word at all? What about all the other words that cross your personal censorship boundary?

To be honest, setting the standard that the use of the word "c*nt" may well earn the offending player a red card is one that I am pretty comfortable with......and I'm not sure that it's one that referees need to be afraid of?

Back