A&H

Feisty one today!

Řŕ5re5eeeeee
Bin you? I'd find you after the game and wash your mouth out with soap!!!

I am torn a bit on this.

Different scenario. a player gets tackled lightly but rolls around exaggerated manner.

His own captain come over to him and says to him "get up you fanny and let's get on with it. we are losin 2-1"

The Referee Store
Řŕ5re5eeeeee

I am torn a bit on this.

Different scenario. a player gets tackled lightly but rolls around exaggerated manner.

His own captain come over to him and says to him "get up you fanny and let's get on with it. we are losin 2-1"
That's a bit different to the question posed (which I responded to with the soap comment).
If I heard this comment made, I'd look at the players just so they knew I'd heard it. But it's nothing, in that situation its banter. It's not offensive etc. However, depending on how loud that comment is made and the people within the vicinity, I may even say "Skipper, really?". Crikey, I've lost count how many times I've said that to my teammates.

That's a bit different to the question posed (which I responded to with the soap comment).
If I heard this comment made, I'd look at the players just so they knew I'd heard it. But it's nothing, in that situation its banter. It's not offensive etc. However, depending on how loud that comment is made and the people within the vicinity, I may even say "Skipper, really?". Crikey, I've lost count how many times I've said that to my teammates.
Why not a red card though? it is afterall mysoginist in nature.

I suppose a good point is if you are firm about all this before the game thw players will not use foul language even of a mild nature

I have just read through this entire thread, and it seems to me that one particular thing is leading a lot of people astray: on several posts we specifically have referees discussing whether "foul and abusive" language should be tolerated. But keep in mind that there is absolutely NO mention in the Laws of any sanction at all for FOUL language. This was removed back in 1997 (I think) and replaced with "Offensive, Insulting and Abusive (OFFINABUS). This was done for a good reason: IFAB felt that many players used "swear words" in their daily speech, and that in essence the football pitch is their factory floor. It truly seems to me that any ref who slips into calling it "foul" and abusive is guilty of thinking in an old fashioned way here. This discussion should not be on whether **** (on any match report (I have always been told to use the exact words in full, and it seems weird to disguise the word here, when we all know what it is), on whether **** on its own is enough for a red. It would have seemed far more to the point to discuss whether the word is used offensively, to cause insult or as a term of abuse. It may be that some refs here are saying it is offensive TO THEM (even if not to the players) and that is enough. In Law, they are correct, but may be fighting an uphill battle in a changed world. And insisting on using the term "foul" language is merely perpetuating a semi-Victorian view of what football should be.

For my own opinion it does depend on tone of voice. A player saying "you ****ing lucky ****" to a TEAM-MATE could (maybe) be acceptable. Saying it to an OPPONENT or THE REFEREE is a very different matter. and "cheat" to a match official is bye-bye.
a player using the cheat word towards a referee should always be sent off never an excuse

Does anyone actually tell the players before a match what sort of language you will and won't accept?

Seems like making a rod for your own back to me.
No, not at all. All I tell the captains is that I expect them to deal with their players before I do. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't set yourself up for it.

Why not a red card though? it is afterall mysoginist in nature.

I suppose a good point is if you are firm about all this before the game thw players will not use foul language even of a mild nature

This is one of those words where context is important. Very few, in my opinion would find this word offensive in this given scenario. Some words need no context whatsoever, I certainly don't need to remind anyone of what those words are. However, some words you do have to listen to the context in which it was used.

This is unreal! You'd bin me for using "effing and cnut" about myself but allow one player to call another a "fanny" a direct alternative to "nut"!
Then you talk about context, God help me!

Had to go surely!!! You were on the pulpit last night!!! :eek: Isn't a Cnut and a F***y the same thing? Double Standards or what!!! :pirate:

This is unreal! You'd bin me for using "effing and cnut" about myself but allow one player to call another a "fanny" a direct alternative to "nut"!
Then you talk about context, God help me!
Context is important in everything "proscribed" words or not

How is "Cnut" and "fanny" the same thing?!? They are two completely separate words which, were described in two completely different scenarios. Fanny for example, is a term used to describe the backside of anyone aswell as the front of a female. It's also the name of a bag, "fanny bag".

Seriously gents? I'm genuinely gobsmacked at the level of ridiculousness that I have read on this post.

"You effing c**t"... - It is offensive. It is insulting. It is abusive,
"get up you fanny we let's get on with it". That isn't. In fact, the skipper in this situation should be praised, and the player lucky that he's not been done for simulation!!

My words were, and feel free to dig through the messages (don't waste your time), some words need absolutely no context whatsoever. Racism, homophobic, both C words... the term fanny... seriously?

Gentlemen, the initial conversation was discussing the word c*** on the field of play. Now that conversation is done and dusted, other words are now being brought into the thread. Why? Me for one is bored now, one could go through the whole English Dictionary of swear and nearly not quite swear words up until someone somewhere can jump up and down and say " see i knew i was right" ...... get over it..... done and dusted!!!!

Reactions: DB
Only in the good old U.S. of A is a 'fanny' your backside, that's why they call them a bum bag over here.
What you also failed to recognise is that Fanny used to be used as a girl's name, doubt if you'll find anyone naming their child Fanny these days.
Do I detect measure of the forces political correctness showing through in your attitude?
Most of the time, most of the words discussed will result in the ultimate sanction on my pitch, but it's my pitch: and I reserve the right to make my own judgement on the words used and the context in which they were delivered.

Only in the good old U.S. of A is a 'fanny' your backside, that's why they call them a bum bag over here.
What you also failed to recognise is that Fanny used to be used as a girl's name, doubt if you'll find anyone naming their child Fanny these days.
Do I detect measure of the forces political correctness showing through in your attitude?
Most of the time, most of the words discussed will result in the ultimate sanction on my pitch, but it's my pitch: and I reserve the right to make my own judgement on the words used and the context in which they were delivered.
I am definitely calling my next daughter "Fanny" I suppose that's where the term "Fanny's your aunt" comes from.
I can deal with language, I can deal with certain words. But I will not tolerate abuse of any nature whilst in a match-official capacity. Obviously the sanction I impose would depend on the situation.

Gentlemen, the initial conversation was discussing the word c*** on the field of play. Now that conversation is done and dusted, other words are now being brought into the thread. Why? Me for one is bored now, one could go through the whole English Dictionary of swear and nearly not quite swear words up until someone somewhere can jump up and down and say " see i knew i was right" ...... get over it..... done and dusted!!!!

I completely agree.

Last edited:
My words were, and feel free to dig through the messages (don't waste your time), some words need absolutely no context whatsoever. Racism, homophobic, both C words... the term fanny... seriously?

I do get the ppint about certain words being offensI've

But againg context will play some role

Similar scenario to the one I posted earlier about a player being tackled only slightly yet exaggerating his injury. his own captain comes over and says "don't be a ****. he barely touched you. we 2-1 down. Let's get on with the ****ing game stop giving the ref a hard time"

Would see it the same way and send him off?

Again, I wouldn't class that last word as a sending off offence in that context (it doesn't fit into my personal red card words). You're going to hear that word used on multiple occasions. In this scenario, the captain is actually on your side. That's a rarity. Although his approach to the player may raise an eyebrow, keep him on side if you can. With this comment, I'd like to think the skipper isn't shouting it at the top of his voice and that he is only a few feet away from his teammate; therefore hopefully not many people were in earshot. Again, he's doing me a favour so I'd look at him with an appreciative nod and give the "calm it" hand signal . If he said it loud enough for many to hear, I would say something along the lines of "I appreciate what you said to him there, just be mindful of your choice of words please" as I jogged past. He's doing me a favour so I don't want to publically bollock him, particularly as what he has said isn't offensive.

That said, a referee that I have worked with on a number of occasions down here... you so much as utter a swear word.. you are gone. No matter what it is, you will walk. He isn't very popular on our local forum or league Facebook page... but all the teams know of him and warm their players before hand. He says he gets offended by swearing, no matter what context, how loud, quiet etc. I personally would much prefer to manager the manageable phrases and terms :)

Last edited:
At last, my work here is done.....
Which completely depends on the words/terms used, of course ;) Again, I reiterate that there are a few words that would lead to an early shower regardless of the situation/context. That is the main point that a few of us have attempted to put across :) It's been an interesting discussion.

But this is kind of the point. Show me the FA or FIFA-produced document that states that c**t is a word that automatically results in a red card? You can't, because the intent of the law is to punish the context and effect of the language used, not to punish a puritanical list of unacceptable terms.

If that word is not used in an offensive, insulting or abusive manner, a red card is simply not an appropriate punishment. And if you're giving red for it regardless of context, you're (perhaps deliberately?) misapplying the laws to suit a personal "let's clean up football" agenda.

Which completely depends on the words/terms used, of course ;) Again, I reiterate that there are a few words that would lead to an early shower regardless of the situation/context. That is the main point that a few of us have attempted to put across :) It's been an interesting discussion.
cheat being at the top of the nice rosy red card coming out list i hope

Back