A&H

Feisty one today!

Having a different opinion is not me thinking i am above anyone or trying to get one over on anyone. Clearly i think i am right and you think you are, hence the debate, doesn't mean i think i am better than you though!
There no right or wrong in this situation. It isn't in black and white what we should do in these situations. There is no definitive answer because there is so much flexibility in the law and because it is all based on opinion and interpretation. Ive merely stated that I have sanctions for set words. That's it.

The Referee Store
So...if a player says "stupid c*nt" to a team mate for missing a shot you'd do nothing.......but if he said to you, same tone & same volume, for getting a decision wrong you'd do what....?

On a side issue, the amount of times I've heard "but last weeks ref let it go" is almost as common as the word that sparked this thread. Players chance it when they think they can get away with it irrespective if it is true or not. I refereed a game once where the player used that phrase, except that he obviously didn't think about it, as it was actually me who refereed his game the previous week also. For the record, I didn't let him get away with the suggested offence (not foul language) either week.

Reactions: DB
Absolutely............ i will not allow it !! no need... how often have you heard after a shot on goal and missed it " oh c***" 99/100 it will be f*** it/f****** hell. Perhaps you gentleman who have no problem with the word c*** use it in your everyday vocabulary and have no problem with it depending on its (get out of jail word now)CONTEXT how would you react in our next game when you send off a player for saying c*** and probably rightly so(in right context) and he says " i said it last week and the ref didn't do anything but bollock me" you stand there and explain that to him and probably his manager and probably other team mates... good luck..
@mikedn this a genuin question and i am not trying to needle you. what would you do i the situation i stated earlier
So...if a player says "stupid c*nt" to a team mate for missing a shot you'd do nothing.......but if he said to you, same tone & same volume, for getting a decision wrong you'd do what....?
I dont think anyone is advocating doing nothing. calling his team mate stupid **** is abusive in the scenario you mentioned

@mikedn this a genuin question and i am not trying to needle you. what would you do i the situation i stated earlier

I dont think anyone is advocating doing nothing. calling his team mate stupid **** is abusive in the scenario you mentioned

No, surely it's just "banter" especially if said with a smile on his face?

Or is it! Banter amongst team mates must surely warrant a warning first. If it is yelled then different story, but to jump straight in is presumptuous in the extreme. Over the 25 years I played the game I was never offended, insulted or abused by my teammates directing such language at me. If I had screwed up I didn't expect ' never mind old chap, better luck next time'

Football is a working class sport and with it comes industrial language. It's not the language I choose to use personally but who am I to punish players communicating with each other in their vernacular. If they overstep the mark after a polite public warning then action can be justified and I do not shirk my responsibilities.

Or is it! Banter amongst team mates must surely warrant a warning first. If it is yelled then different story, but to jump straight in is presumptuous in the extreme. Over the 25 years I played the game I was never offended, insulted or abused by my teammates directing such language at me. If I had screwed up I didn't expect ' never mind old chap, better luck next time'

Football is a working class sport and with it comes industrial language. It's not the language I choose to use personally but who am I to punish players communicating with each other in their vernacular. If they overstep the mark after a polite public warning then action can be justified and I do not shirk my responsibilities.

So you're fine then when they use the same industrial language towards you?

Absolutely there is a difference.

As a teacher with 20+ years experience in the classroom, I will chastise a student for swearing to a mate in such a manner, I would come down like a ton of bricks if it was directed at me, the teacher. I think that there are a lot of parallels between the classroom and pitch.

As an example, earlier this term, I had my tutor group in my classroom one morning. I was working one to one with one lad, helping him with his uni application. The rest were chatting/studying/ occupying themselves. All was fine. One lad dropped something and swore. I heard this, looked up, and told him not to swear. That would have, and should have been the end of it - we all swear, this was not the time and place for it, he got called out for it, accept it and move on.

But he didn't. He replied, directly to me: "Pi$$ off, I'm nearly 18, I can say what I like."

The room fell silent. Everyone knew he had overstepped the mark, by a long way. They all knew that swearing at someone in a position of authority is entirely different to swearing at each other. Players know that swearing at the referee is a significant step up from swearing at each other. It's not a football thing, it's a society thing.

So you're fine then when they use the same industrial language towards you?

Nope not at all , I make managers and captains fully aware of my expectations during the pre match brief and reinforced at the coin toss. I will not tolerate abuse of opposing players either and will get involved much earlier.

Ahhhh...so it's a totally hypocritical position.......they can call their team mate a c*nt, or for some referees they can call their opponent's a c*nt and it's slightly less acceptable banter......but when directed at you, it's totally unacceptable and an immediate red card........

Your argument is that football is a working class game, played by working class people who routinely use offensive language in their everyday lives, so it is to be expected that they communicate in the same manner when playing the game.....EXCEPT apparently when communicating with you, because apparently you are to be treated differently and not to be subjected to their everyday manner of communication, which you consider perfectly acceptable for every other participant to endure.......but not you.

Why do you not feel capable of treating other participants by the same standards that you expect to be treated?

There is a massive difference. If someone calls a team mate a daft or stupid c*nt, which to be honest you will hear most weeks on Hackney Marshes, and the player laughs along with it you would be a total fool to send him off for that, that would just be a referee looking to be the centre of attention and you sure as hell would be surprising 22 players.

If that same phrase is said to the referee then the player is taking much more of a chance. He might well know that his team mate will find it funny, he doesn't know that the referee will think the same way. In that situation the player could have no complaint if he was sent off.

I'm crossing to another topic here but you can't always take words in isolation. For example, "you're a queer" is a lot different to "that's a bit queer", and referees going into games with a word sensor that they will send off for need to think more about context.

If I am with friends in a sporting or social environment and as part of the general banter we start firing off insults at each other that really is our business. If someone started complaining about how we were talking to each other then they would get short thrift. But I guess maybe I am a product of my working class upbringing.

Absolutely there is a difference.

As a teacher with 20+ years experience in the classroom, I will chastise a student for swearing to a mate in such a manner, I would come down like a ton of bricks if it was directed at me, the teacher. I think that there are a lot of parallels between the classroom and pitch.

As an example, earlier this term, I had my tutor group in my classroom one morning. I was working one to one with one lad, helping him with his uni application. The rest were chatting/studying/ occupying themselves. All was fine. One lad dropped something and swore. I heard this, looked up, and told him not to swear. That would have, and should have been the end of it - we all swear, this was not the time and place for it, he got called out for it, accept it and move on.

But he didn't. He replied, directly to me: "Pi$$ off, I'm nearly 18, I can say what I like."

The room fell silent. Everyone knew he had overstepped the mark, by a long way. They all knew that swearing at someone in a position of authority is entirely different to swearing at each other. Players know that swearing at the referee is a significant step up from swearing at each other. It's not a football thing, it's a society thing.

did you send him off ? ;)

Ahhhh...so it's a totally hypocritical position.......they can call their team mate a c*nt, or for some referees they can call their opponent's a c*nt and it's slightly less acceptable banter......but when directed at you, it's totally unacceptable and an immediate red card........

Your argument is that football is a working class game, played by working class people who routinely use offensive language in their everyday lives, so it is to be expected that they communicate in the same manner when playing the game.....EXCEPT apparently when communicating with you, because apparently you are to be treated differently and not to be subjected to their everyday manner of communication, which you consider perfectly acceptable for every other participant to endure.......but not you.

Why do you not feel capable of treating other participants by the same standards that you expect to be treated?

So a player assaulting a ref should get a 3 match ban?

Back