A&H

Feisty one today!

The Referee Store
To be honest, setting the standard that the use of the word "c*nt" may well earn the offending player a red card is one that I am pretty comfortable with......and I'm not sure that it's one that referees need to be afraid of?

But where did I say that I would not card for gratuitous use of the c word? I just don't think we should draw any lines in the sand about what we will or will not do on the fop. Leaves no room to manouvre...........

Reactions: SM
Say the C word on that field In any context... you are gone!!

If you fail to RC in this situation, you are letting the side down. The problems in football nationally regarding OFFINABUS is because too many of you let it slip or try and coat it in glitter!!!!

But where did I say that I would not card for gratuitous use of the c word? I just don't think we should draw any lines in the sand about what we will or will not do on the fop. Leaves no room to manouvre...........

What room do you want to manoeuvre with either of the 'c' words?

So I'm playing in your game and I manage to hoof it into my own net(a fairly odds on occurrence) and I vocally and quite loudly say 'you stupid effing cnut'.
You'd bin me?

All has to be taken in context. Like it or not language that would be classed as foul and abusive 20 years ago is now part of every day vocabulary. I work in a financial services organisation and it is even the case there, 20 years ago that would be totally unheard of. Likewise some of the language you hear on TV now, before and after the watershed, would have seen the channel closed down 20 years ago.

If as a referee you want to go on a crusade to send off anyone who swears then that is fine, fill your boots. But you cannot expect other referees to follow you, almost lemming like, leaping into the abyss.

So I'm playing in your game and I manage to hoof it into my own net(a fairly odds on occurrence) and I vocally and quite loudly say 'you stupid effing cnut'.
You'd bin me?

Bin you? I'd find you after the game and wash your mouth out with soap!!!

Pi55ing myself with laughter here db. Last person to threaten that was my mum about 46 years ago.
Sounds like you attitude may be from her era, you may have a lot in common with her!

Last edited:
Pi55ing myself with laughter here db. Last person to threaten that was my mum about 46 years ago.
Sounds like you attitude may be from her era, you may have a lot in common with her!
It was Carbolic Soap in them days Minty!!! Dads smacks hurt but my mothers slipper really hurt!!!!!

All has to be taken in context. Like it or not language that would be classed as foul and abusive 20 years ago is now part of every day vocabulary. I work in a financial services organisation and it is even the case there, 20 years ago that would be totally unheard of. Likewise some of the language you hear on TV now, before and after the watershed, would have seen the channel closed down 20 years ago.

If as a referee you want to go on a crusade to send off anyone who swears then that is fine, fill your boots. But you cannot expect other referees to follow you, almost lemming like, leaping into the abyss.
You are a nomad in the Sahara desert.... wandering off the point.... we are not talking about pub,club,work place,tv, at home,disco , etc. etc. we are talking about on the field of play where (sorry padfoot) foul and abusive language is not permitted, ok a player might shout f*** it,bollo***, on a near miss with his shot on goal i have no problem with that, you for the sake of argument are taking it away from football to justify the decision to allow the word c*** on the pitch. Let's keep to the context of swearing on the football pitch which is what the original discussion was about.... No i don't expect every referee to think the way i do, everybody has their different tolerant level for swearing in the right " context " but there should be a line drawn somewhere but i think you have lost your pencil and ruler.

In this situation I completely disagree, without the humor, and banter football would be a very bland game, yes of course, change the contex here and it changes everything. Massive over reaction IMO to send off for this as wrote, call me old fashioned, I don't particularly care, but, at Parks level, if you set a low bar for any swear word you wouldn't last long in these parts. And the local Dentist would be driving a better car!

Last edited:
At only 29 years old... I always got threatened with this as a kid

This is an interesting debate with many points of view. i have myself sent someone off in a similar scenario. wont lie i was being assessed and the assessor was in earshot so in my view i thought thats marks dropped if i dont deal. his advice was that whilst supporting the red card was that maybe a yellow would have worked due to no reaction, slightly less foul language used earlier in the game.

Sometimes you have to judge the reaction of players around. on the flip side you have to balance your match control..by not sending off it then becomes acceptable to call your opponent a fat c u next tuesday. or rather it becomes a cautionable offence. so the question i would pose would be at what point does it become offinabus? if its at the referee?

Another angle.. what would you have done had the player responded with VC? red for both? 1 yellow one red?

Ps im not saying what you did was wrong or right.. only you know that on reflection :)

This is an interesting debate with many points of view. i have myself sent someone off in a similar scenario. wont lie i was being assessed and the assessor was in earshot so in my view i thought thats marks dropped if i dont deal. his advice was that whilst supporting the red card was that maybe a yellow would have worked due to no reaction, slightly less foul language used earlier in the game.

Sometimes you have to judge the reaction of players around. on the flip side you have to balance your match control..by not sending off it then becomes acceptable to call your opponent a fat c u next tuesday. or rather it becomes a cautionable offence. so the question i would pose would be at what point does it become offinabus? if its at the referee?

Another angle.. what would you have done had the player responded with VC? red for both? 1 yellow one red?

Ps im not saying what you did was wrong or right.. only you know that on reflection :)

And this is the hypocritical nature of the argument as I have little doubt that the referees happy to caution for someone calling their opponent a c*nt would have no hesitation in pulling out a red if the comment was directed at them.

I have just read through this entire thread, and it seems to me that one particular thing is leading a lot of people astray: on several posts we specifically have referees discussing whether "foul and abusive" language should be tolerated. But keep in mind that there is absolutely NO mention in the Laws of any sanction at all for FOUL language. This was removed back in 1997 (I think) and replaced with "Offensive, Insulting and Abusive (OFFINABUS). This was done for a good reason: IFAB felt that many players used "swear words" in their daily speech, and that in essence the football pitch is their factory floor. It truly seems to me that any ref who slips into calling it "foul" and abusive is guilty of thinking in an old fashioned way here. This discussion should not be on whether **** (on any match report (I have always been told to use the exact words in full, and it seems weird to disguise the word here, when we all know what it is), on whether **** on its own is enough for a red. It would have seemed far more to the point to discuss whether the word is used offensively, to cause insult or as a term of abuse. It may be that some refs here are saying it is offensive TO THEM (even if not to the players) and that is enough. In Law, they are correct, but may be fighting an uphill battle in a changed world. And insisting on using the term "foul" language is merely perpetuating a semi-Victorian view of what football should be.

For my own opinion it does depend on tone of voice. A player saying "you ****ing lucky ****" to a TEAM-MATE could (maybe) be acceptable. Saying it to an OPPONENT or THE REFEREE is a very different matter. and "cheat" to a match official is bye-bye.

BTW, my apologies to everyone who I reprimanded for using strange euphemisms instead of the actual words when describing swearing. I now see that the site actually censors the full words. A pity, since on a refereeing site it does seem that we should be able to use the exact words rather than have to use prissy work-arounds.

Back