A&H

'Technical' and 'Dangerous' reds

And you are welcome to that opinion, and I am going to disagree. In my opinion, I am there to facilitate a match within my control, and to the enjoyment of myself and players.

I may, by law, be wrong, and I may cause an issue for the next referee if they cannot control the match. I accept that, and perhaps shouldn't do it. But I do not accept that my integrity is lacking.

Without being nasty, as I'm sure you're a great bloke, you've said things in this thread that are the very definition of lacking integrity.

And just because I send someone off for a DOGSO or caution for dissent or AA or DI or anything else certainly doesn't mean I "can't control a match"

Cards are there to aid your control

The Referee Store
Just because you're level 4 and think you've got match control doesn't make you a good referee adding to players enjoyment.

It's pretty easy to get level 4.

I have empathy for a lot of what The Bstard is saying - albeit I disagree with a lot of it

Judging the mood of the game correctly is a skill we all need to help our match control

A Championship Referee recently told our Society that if "having a word" rather than a booking works as a preventative measure in a game - then do it - including where it may be a 2nd caution ... if it doesn't then that's the risk you take (esp. with an Assessor watching)

Finding a way to not send a player off for a last minute DOGSO in a one-sided game is OK for me - but - if I can't find a way within the Laws then the player walks - and I send it through - and I think most of us on here do too

But ...

It's Play Your Cards Right - Sir Bruce Forsyth asks the question - we asked 100 park referees - how many of you would send a player off for a last minute DOGSO for a team already losing 5-0 AND put the card through to County ...?

Does anyone seriously think the answer would be 100 ..?

I think it would be around 60 (6 out of 10)

It IS wrong - but - in my experience of talking to refs and being part of a large panel of refs on various leagues - it happens a lot and we (whatever "we" actually is) are not going to change this

I'm the first to admit it is wrong. Totally, completely. But it is what I do. But it has't failed me yet.

One day it might. But I'm reasonably confidant in my own abilities at reading a game to know when to be lenient and when not.

I'm the first to admit it is wrong. Totally, completely. But it is what I do. But it has't failed me yet.

One day it might. But I'm reasonably confidant in my own abilities at reading a game to know when to be lenient and when not.
But this is exactly the point - it hasn't failed you because one team thinks "what a great ref, didn't send our player off" the other team is six goals up and couldn't care less. The following week, similar foul but the referee does his job and applies the laws and all hell breaks loose at least in part because "last week's ref" was more concerned about being mates with the players than applying the laws as he should.

I sent someone off later in the same game, for DOGSO. The first instance there was enough of an excuse to push the boundary (DOGSO, but 40 yards out - not as clear to anyone but me, the defender and the striker)

We have to stick to the rules of the game from Park referring all the way up ! Otherwise our beautiful game is awash with players who assume they can get away with it and thus assume we will ignore the offence. My advice to park players as I tell them is learn the rules if they know better than the refs or you will be fined if you break the rules of the game. Zero tolerance to all the acting and hardship stories and play advantage where possible.

It is an interesting principle for you to take on being a L4!!!!

Some thoughts for you:
1. You will assessed on half your matches & receive club marks on all. To be promoted to L3, you need to be "A A" in the merit table.
2. I don't know how you can simply change to your approach depending on whether the level of matches. Do you change if there is not an assessor at your game?
3. You don't know who can be watching park game matches or running the clubs. League officials can be involved and if they see you are not doing the business, then this could affect your chances of L3.

Anyway, this would be a more sensible attitude with you were a L2 and simply helping out at a lower level. At your level, you should never be considered to be changing your style - all it takes is for somebody to say you "bottled it" and you could be back to L5.

I sent someone off later in the same game, for DOGSO. The first instance there was enough of an excuse to push the boundary (DOGSO, but 40 yards out - not as clear to anyone but me, the defender and the striker)
So now you are saying that because only you and two players knew that it was a nailed on DOGSO then you didn't dismiss the player but later on, because it was obvious to more players, you did. How many players need to be aware of the offence before you enforce the laws? Four? Five? Or does it vary depending according to how much you like the offender?

I'm sorry this reasoning is nonsense. Level 4 is a very high level where the quality of refereeing should be far better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for a second saying you're a bad referee, but consistency is absolutely key

Going ALL the way back to your OP you say ‘Yeah, I know I’m off, he says.’ So he is fully expecting a red but you actually disagree with the player and save his skin. If I was the player that was eventually sent off I would be asking you the question, why am I off but he wasn't? Not a lot else to say that hasn't already been said.

This is where I'm gonna butt in now and you look at this especially if you go for promotion if you'd was being assessed they would slaughtered if it a dogso it a dogso and red. But if a swears in frustration then you can manage it same with some dissent it ones that are directed that you treat different

Nobody turns up to play football in a league "just for fun" even at Sunday league level, the game means something to them, whether it's 1-1 or 15-0. You should treat every game the same, with the same attitude to applying the laws.

As others have said, attitudes like yours make it a hell of a lot harder for this weeks ref, next weeks ref etc. Us who ref at park level every week but have aspirations of reaching higher levels have to put up with players saying "but last weeks ref didn't send him off for it" purely because of attitudes like yours!

This is where I'm gonna butt in now and you look at this especially if you go for promotion if you'd was being assessed they would slaughtered if it a dogso it a dogso and red. But if a swears in frustration then you can manage it same with some dissent it ones that are directed that you treat different

No idea what your point is here Craig, this makes very little sense!

I just find your lack of respect for grassroots leagues difficult to comprehend. It's beyond condescending in its "it's just played for fun" attitude. This league means a lot to the players involved. It means a lot to the referees who referee these games every week and do their job properly.

If your too good to do a proper job at grass roots, stay clear.

But nonetheless I think there is an underlying truth in part of what Bstard says. We are not robots (well most of us!) and so we inevitably referee according to the mood of the game. In a good-natured game the boundary between careless and reckless probably moves a bit, attacks that are ended by fouls are less likely to be considered "promising" and so on. What we shouldn't do is just disregard certain laws and come up with "bullshit" to justify this.

The Laws of the Game should be applied the minute you arrive at the car park to the minute you leave the car park of the venue of the game.
I have had a game where i sent two players off for fighting....As i was making my way back to my car after the game a woman runs up to me and said "Do you still have any authority after the game?" i said "Yes i do till i get in my car" She said "ok,those two players are squaring up to each other over there again,please help someones going to get hurt"
So i went over to them and said "That's enough lads,you're already in a lot of trouble,both leave now" Without a word they both walked off, so they must have known i still had authority at that point. So yes apply the laws of the game at all times......Oracle say "Familiarity Breeds Contempt"

The Laws of the Game should be applied the minute you arrive at the car park to the minute you leave the car park of the venue of the game.
I have had a game where i sent two players off for fighting....As i was making my way back to my car after the game a woman runs up to me and said "Do you still have any authority after the game?" i said "Yes i do till i get in my car" She said "ok,those two players are squaring up to each other over there again,please help someones going to get hurt"
So i went over to them and said "That's enough lads,you're already in a lot of trouble,both leave now" Without a word they both walked off, so they must have known i still had authority at that point. So yes apply the laws of the game at all times......Oracle say "Familiarity Breeds Contempt"

Not technically true. In law its from the moment you enter the FOP to the moment you leave the FOP

Back