A&H

The use of homophobic language

Status
Not open for further replies.
These answers sound like they are coming from a lawyer defending the referee. They are very informative and clearly grounded in experience. But I'd really like to know what you you would have done. Red card or nothing?

I would look at the reaction of players. If no one reacts I wouldn't do anything, whereas if it provokes a response I would send off safe in the knowledge that I would be 100% backed by the authorities.

If I spoke to the offender or pulled a yellow card on him I know I would be putting myself at serious risk, so I wouldn't do it.

The Referee Store
I'm in the "oh dear guys" camp, this has to be a red card and I am sad there are so many excuses here for not giving the RC.

Football is amazing isn't it? While perhaps 5% of the UK population is homosexual... only, what, 3 UK footballers have ever come out.
I make the not so dramatic leap between this and the homophobia that is tolerated in the stands, in the dressing room and on the field.
There is a clear directive from the authorities.
Do the job guys. And make a difference. It's a red card.
You can pretend not to hear, but it's still a red card.

At this stage of the debate, I would be inclined to contact my F.A. and clarify my position, and would stand corrected if proven wrong.

I'm a bisexual man who plays football in LGBT competitions all over the country.
I would be cautioning for this comment. (I certainly wouldn't be letting the player off with a bollocking)
Rightly or wrongly, the word is not in the same league as n****r. One would cost me my job so fast, the other wouldn't even register unless someone complained.
Growing up in the age of South Park, anything crap was "gay" and I'd often call my mates "fags" or "homos". I wouldn't even dream of using the other words.
A yellow card is a strong enough message that that language isn't acceptable. One say the term "queer" may be as unnacceptable as "n****r" but until it is I think a red is unfair. A one man crusade of reds for this behaviour is unlikely to work.

I would be cautioning for this comment.
[...]
A one man crusade of reds for this behaviour is unlikely to work.
Surely this wouldn't (or shouldn't) be a one man crusade, not when there is an FA directive that homophobic language should be considered as OFFINABUS. According to the FA's 2012 LGBT Action Plan document, it "is outlawed under Law 12 of the Laws of the Game. It is a red card offence ..."

Last edited:
@deusex from a bisexual man, that comment is outstanding.

I have 2 gay cousins, and a gay friend who'd feel seriously let down if I said 'queer' isn't as bad as 'n***er' - both are acts of discrimination ...

I think every saying it isn't a red card needs to remember ... in the OP the player has said '.... you queer ....' by using the term 'you' it is aimed at a specific individual ...

I do think that if, for example, the ref gave a free kick for something and then player as he walked off said 'well that's gay ...' then maybe a talking to or let it be - that's when the 'South Park' generation comes into it, its not aimed at anyone and is just purely saying a situation is rubbish ...

The directive actually came into effect about 2 years ago (so I believe this is season three) and supports inclusivity for all in football

How are these directives communicated to referees? I'm sure this is one I would remember if I had seen it.

I'm a bisexual man who plays football in LGBT competitions all over the country.
I would be cautioning for this comment. (I certainly wouldn't be letting the player off with a bollocking)
Rightly or wrongly, the word is not in the same league as n****r. One would cost me my job so fast, the other wouldn't even register unless someone complained.
Growing up in the age of South Park, anything crap was "gay" and I'd often call my mates "fags" or "homos". I wouldn't even dream of using the other words.
A yellow card is a strong enough message that that language isn't acceptable. One say the term "queer" may be as unnacceptable as "n****r" but until it is I think a red is unfair. A one man crusade of reds for this behaviour is unlikely to work.

Thanks for the contribution but I strongly disagree.

With a YC you are going against the LOTG and the clear directive.
I have spent a billion syllables on playground banter and still did until I had children (which makes me properly edit myself, as hard as that is, because I have a very, very dirty mouth and my father taught me anything and everyone is fair game in the name of humour).
Remember Andy Milonakis and his "everything is gay" video. I thought it was funny. He got a job on MTV.

But it isn't funny is it? Not when you are being paid as a referee. Not when you remember how much suffering there is because of unchecked homophobia. I firmly believe this is part of the job. You need to have the stomach for this. We can't hide here.

Just because it was normal for our parents, in our playground, on our TV... or even "normal" for some people now does not mean it is acceptable on the field.

In a similar scenario there were two, what I'd describe as, low level anti-semitic comments made in quick succession in a match I was refereeing by one player, the comments were not aimed at anyone in particular. Neither him nor any other players or officials (I had NARs) knew I was Jewish (but as I had to explain to him and his team that's not the point!)

He was quite shocked (and even more abusive - though not anti-semitic) when I sent him off but was backed up by the county with a substantial ban for the player.

I think this kind of language has to be a red card. Ignorance is not an excuse and overlooking it as officials will lead to / encourage this type of language to continue.

Last edited:
This is a great example of when this forum is so useful, differing opinion and coherent arguments for and against. We should remember that many members on here referee on a Sunday morning at the local rec, and some of us in the semi-professional game, and the reality is that refereeing at these two ends of the spectrum is very different. That said....

Having seen the FA guidance recently, this has to be a send off. Ignoring whether or not anyone on that day finds it offensive, etc., it is a use of language that is designed to imply weakness due to sexuality. You could argue that if no-one on the pitch says anything, and it's not in earshot of any other person, that you could 'manage' it, but you'll only known that when it happens and it is a dangerous call.

What we all do off the pitch is different, but on the field of play it is simply a case that people need to cut out the macho crap and learn to argue with each other properly without resorting to insults of any kind.

He was quite shocked (and even more abusive - though not anti-semitic) when I sent him off but was backed up by the county with a substantial ban for the player.

this would suggest that the FA wants us to take action on the FOP for anything of that nature, and they deal with it accordingly and give it the punishment it deserves. By that i mean they dont just want us issuing a telling off, or us trying to educate them as we go along. Go red and they will deal with it.
if thats what they want then thats what i'm doing

If we're all gonna do it then sign me up.
But considering I see refs allowing players to tell them to "f*** off" to their faces I dare say I'd be on my own.
I've been on a one man crusade against dissent in my leagues for 10 years. I issue 50 cautions for it a season.
Both sides would be genuinely shocked if i produced a red for "queer". Society just isnt there yet.
The surprise on players faces when I caution for "poof" tells me I'm already stricter than anyone else in the league on homophobic language

I've never had this happen in one of my games, however after reading this thread I would definitely go for a red.

Not just because it is in the LOTG, but because these sorts of remarks can't be viewed the same as other forms of OFFINABUS, where volume, intent etc can be taken into account.

Along with racism this sort of thing isn't acceptable in the modern game. And all it will do is drive players away, which eventually leads to all of us loosing out as teams and leagues fold due to lack of numbers.

Some of us might roll our eyes and think the world's going soft, but the sort of language and behaviour society thinks is acceptable has changed and we as a part of the wider footballing community need to catch up.

But considering I see refs allowing players to tell them to "f*** off" to their faces I dare say I'd be on my own.
I've been on a one man crusade against dissent in my leagues for 10 years. I issue 50 cautions for it a season.
Both sides would be genuinely shocked if i produced a red for "queer". Society just isnt there yet.
The surprise on players faces when I caution for "poof" tells me I'm already stricter than anyone else in the league on homophobic language

So because others don't bother to do the job properly, it's acceptable for you to do the same?

I don't care what other referee's do....I do care what I do, I have enough self respect to be strong enough not to worry about being the exception to the rule if it means I'm doing the right thing.

I would dismiss for "queer" and I think most of the players that I referee would have no real arguments with that so I am surprised that you think that society isn't there yet although I would accept that the region where I referee is probably one of the more liberal and "gay-friendly" in the country. I would also dismiss for "poof" if I felt that it was used to insult or abuse.

I've asked before but what are you yellow-carding for? If, as you say, it is because you believe that this is homophobic language then surely you have to dismiss. If you don't think that it meets the criteria for OFFINABUS then I can't see what you are cautioning for.

How are these directives communicated to referees? I'm sure this is one I would remember if I had seen it.
It was actually included in the Standard Code of Rules for all Leagues. It is, I believe without checking, 1b in the list of competition rules, that book referees consult to see how much they should be paid, whether they play extra time and if alcohol can be drink by the side of the field. Having had to re-arrange 2 cup games this season, because referees played extra time which was removed from all competitions this season, communicated by individual email and confirmed in the circular advising appointments, I can be fairly certain that many referees do not bother to read them.

That is totally different though. In your example there the comment is made to the referee, and whilst offensive isn't any of racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. All of those things I've listed have to be considered more serious as they will carry longer suspensions and higher fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back