A&H

The use of homophobic language

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was actually included in the Standard Code of Rules for all Leagues. It is, I believe without checking, 1b in the list of competition rules, that book referees consult to see [...]

I have two such books, one from the league (Amateur Football Combination) and one from the CFA (Middx). The one from the league has two sets of competition rules, one for the league and one for league cups.

I cannot find any reference to this directive in either of those books, and I have spent the last 30 minutes looking. It definitely isn't 1b in any of the three sets of rules. Am I missing something?

The Referee Store
I have two such books, one from the league (Amateur Football Combination) and one from the CFA (Middx). The one from the league has two sets of competition rules, one for the league and one for league cups.

I cannot find any reference to this directive in either of those books, and I have spent the last 30 minutes looking. It definitely isn't 1b in any of the three sets of rules. Am I missing something?
Extract from a local set of competition rules

upload_2016-11-8_20-39-1.png

Standard Code of Rules in the FA's handbook for the current season for leagues at Step 7 and below

upload_2016-11-8_20-49-7.png

OK, searching an electronic copy of the rules for 'inclusivity' reveals 1g:

1g: The League and each Club shall be committed to promoting inclusivity and to eliminating all forms of discrimination

That's it? I don't think that really counts as communicating to grassroots referees that homophobic language is not acceptable and should be reported, as per the FA's Football vs Homophobia campaign. Which is admirable, but is unlikely to be very effective unless somebody tells referees about it.

If we're all gonna do it then sign me up.
But considering I see refs allowing players to tell them to "f*** off" to their faces I dare say I'd be on my own.
I've been on a one man crusade against dissent in my leagues for 10 years. I issue 50 cautions for it a season.
Both sides would be genuinely shocked if i produced a red for "queer". Society just isnt there yet.
The surprise on players faces when I caution for "poof" tells me I'm already stricter than anyone else in the league on homophobic language
You are not on your own.
We are there.
Misogyny, homophobia, racism - no place for these on the field.

I sent off a player for calling an opponent a ginger **** the other week, although not racist i told him it was foul and abusive language.... not one player contested my decision

I sent off a player for calling an opponent a ginger **** the other week, although not racist i told him it was foul and abusive language.... not one player contested my decision
Done the same myself in front of my red haired father in law before heading home to feed my 3 year old red headed son his tea.

I sent an email today to the disciplinary secretary at my F.A. and this was the reply :
"Yes it would definitely warrant a red card and we would be investigating it further to see if it also warranted a misconduct charge"
So i stand corrected and change my earlier comment to "Red Card "

I would dismiss for "queer" and I think most of the players that I referee would have no real arguments with that so I am surprised that you think that society isn't there yet although I would accept that the region where I referee is probably one of the more liberal and "gay-friendly" in the country. I would also dismiss for "poof" if I felt that it was used to insult or abuse.

I've asked before but what are you yellow-carding for? If, as you say, it is because you believe that this is homophobic language then surely you have to dismiss. If you don't think that it meets the criteria for OFFINABUS then I can't see what you are cautioning for.

USB

As OP I would like to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I learned a lot.

Here's what actually happened: I bottled it. I called the player over and his captain intercepted him and clearly told him to calm the f**k down and treat the ref with respect. In the captain's presence I said that if I heard any more terms of homophobic abuse I would issue a red card. They were both contrite and there were no further problems.

I now realise it should have been a straight red and I wish I'd known then what I know now.

Here's a video I wish I'd seen earlier. I really think the CFA should have brought this to my attention.

Player last week called another player a 'Fkin Fag', opposing player laughed at him...... had the reaction been very different I would have sent him off. I didn't book him at that point because there was no reaction but he did get in the book about two minutes later for clear AA is a squared up situation.

Player last week called another player a 'Fkin Fag', opposing player laughed at him...... had the reaction been very different I would have sent him off. I didn't book him at that point because there was no reaction but he did get in the book about two minutes later for clear AA is a squared up situation.
So the victim doesn't react at the time, then two minutes later goes and puts his studs straight through the other player's knee in retaliation, and you have to send him off. All caused by you not doing your job properly in the first place.

Red card any day of the week for me!

Do you think the laughing means you were right not to sanction the offence?

In this case someone has it be offended or insulted.... he quite clearly wasn't!!! Why stir things up when not required!!!

because you're wrong in law

next week the player says the same again and the ref sends them off then he'll wonder why

you'll become 'last weeks ref', but i doubt you really care about that!

In this case someone has it be offended or insulted.... he quite clearly wasn't!!! Why stir things up when not required!!!
I hope you are trolling here.
The player didn't fall over - why give a free kick?
I think you are trolling.
If not, please have a look at the thread. And consider what is written in the laws etc.

As I said earlier, if the reaction would have been different I would have sent him off. No reaction here, I did have a strong word and got an instant apology so I let it go at that point! This is Div 1parks football! (I accept that the Laws are the Laws, but we have leeway at all times to ref a game as we see fit)

Not when it comes to Offensive, Insulting or Abusive language, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back