A&H

Your double yellow procedure

The Referee Store
Just to add my two penneth...

My 'single' yellow was right shorts, they were write-on cards with full teamsheets so effectively replaced book for YC note taking.
Single red in back pocket, again write on so no book needed (if aggressive type situation, I'd get book from top pocket, take name, then dismiss, but normally just bin and then write details onto card once gone)
Double yellow is left shorts, with Card Skins on yellow and tape on red. If I knew he'd been cautioned, straight in there and both shown appropriately (1 square, 1 circle, easy to tell which is which and never had issue). As he'd already been cautioned, I didn't need his name again, but I'd write number, time and what 2nd C was for, on one of the cards.
If I didn't remember he was cautioned, and I took out single yellow, I'd notice he was cautioned already, show him that, take out circle red from left pocket, show him that, then write 2C on there as above.

Guys - what incredible variety you have served up.
And this is without really addressing the "what if you don't remember a first caution" type scenario...

The write on card is a nice idea but...not for me.

YMMV

And this is without really addressing the "what if you don't remember a first caution" type scenario...

YMMV

There is one option that nobody has yet mentioned:

"Creative refereeing" technique. Simply think of those club marks..... ;) :D

best way to remove perm marker is to draw over the dried perm marker with a perm marker, then immediatly wipe off. The "new" marker re liquidises the old and wipe it off. same with getting pem marker off a whteboard - but use a whiteboard marker to go over the perm.

Either that or spray from Lynx deoderant that you have in the bag ;)

I

YMMV
I mean, aside from the half-dozen posts that describe how either they'll see directly that the player already got cautioned, or how they have a means of dismissing easily should they discover the fact after giving the second caution...

I

I mean, aside from the half-dozen posts that describe how either they'll see directly that the player already got cautioned, or how they have a means of dismissing easily should they discover the fact after giving the second caution...
We must be reading a different internet.

If I have team sheets I use the card skins and just write on the cards.

If I don't have team sheets then it is back to the old style of notebook as I'll need to write down their name. I know from experience this can be a massive problem if you have a yellow and red in the notebook as players can incorrectly assume what is happening once they see whatever side of the book is closest to them. Best example I have of this was a Conference South game when I was on the line and a shocker of a challenge came in fairly close to me. Referee gave long blast on the whistle and got his book out. All I and the benches could see was red so we assumed he had it in hand, but then the yellow came out and all hell broke loose. If I'd had any suspicion he was going to go with a yellow I'd have been holding the buzzer down until it electrocuted him, but it looked to me, as it did to the benches, that a red was coming out.

Since then I've taken both cards out of the notebook. So I'll write the name in, put the book away and then pull either the yellow from my left shorts pocket or the red from the back pocket. If its a second yellow the book won't come out as I'll just pull the yellow then the red, already know his name so no need to write it down. Only when he has gone will I take the book out to record the sending off.

At promotions from 7 to 4 and 4 to 3 you will take a massive risk in "flashing the cards". A large percentage of assessors at these levels hate this, and want to see the approach of isolate player, warn him to his future conduct, ask him name and write it down, then show the yellow card followed religiously. Personally I don't care as long as they don't let the player walk away before showing the card, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority. Once you get to L3 it changes and assessors are more likely to support a quick card, and some even don't like notebooks being used.

We must be reading a different internet.
That way, I write down players details (on the cards or in the book depending on the weather) and remember to show him a yellow again before the red.
So for a second YC I'm YC out to record it, see it's the second, right hand up yellow, whilst left getting out red, goes up as yellow goes away and then right points off.
If I didn't remember he was cautioned, and I took out single yellow, I'd notice he was cautioned already, show him that, take out circle red from left pocket, show him that, then write 2C on there as above.
Whatever you were reading, it's not the Internet.

Well, interesting one today. I was on the line. Regional u16 top div. Tough stuff from the lads. Experienced ref, who does a lot of ref training.

Gave a second yellow after the final whistle (good decision, blatant frustrated kick in the back of the legs with the ball no where in sight and the game over)... light rain... managed to juggle the red to the turf.

A victim of trying to open the back pocket with one hand while the hand is busy with the yellow (I think).

It's not easy. Where's Paul Daniels when you need him?

My favourite refereeing "technique" is the quick caution-dismissal where you remember that the player is already booked, I go to my left shorts pocket, flick the yellow in the air, while simultaneously going to my right shorts pocket, and flicking the red in the air as I lower my left arm. If I go for a quick caution, though without remembering that the player has been booked, it's a more embarrassing affair, as it takes what looks like an eternity to get into my notebook, write down the second caution, call the player over again and show the red.

Well, I am too afraid to have the yellow in my shorts pocket still!
So I have moved the red from my back pocket into my top pocket with the yellow and match card.
Double yellow procedure today. Very smooth, thank you very much!
Of course, I may reconsider this in bad weather because of the risk of pulling a red by mistake.

But... I don't show fast yellows. I haven't shown a lightning yellow yet. I should practice so I know I can but...

Well, I am too afraid to have the yellow in my shorts pocket still!
So I have moved the red from my back pocket into my top pocket with the yellow and match card.
Double yellow procedure today. Very smooth, thank you very much!
Of course, I may reconsider this in bad weather because of the risk of pulling a red by mistake.

But... I don't show fast yellows. I haven't shown a lightning yellow yet. I should practice so I know I can but...

Flashing quick yellows and reds without taking names and getting the book out is just playing to player expectation and adding to the "drama". The referee is in control. He is a passive decision maker based on the LOTG. I will always slow everything right down, take names and then flash the card(s). Always. :)

Flashing quick yellows and reds without taking names and getting the book out is just playing to player expectation and adding to the "drama". The referee is in control. He is a passive decision maker based on the LOTG. I will always slow everything right down, take names and then flash the card(s). Always. :)
I am with you on this. Perhaps it is also comes down to the level. In a higher level game, a quick card might be appropriate to keep the game moving after a tactical foul on the break. Whereas in junior and lower league (sweeping generalisation) the cards more often than not come because of rash challenges and players need help to get calm...

Since then I've taken both cards out of the notebook. So I'll write the name in, put the book away and then pull either the yellow from my left shorts pocket or the red from the back pocket. If its a second yellow the book won't come out as I'll just pull the yellow then the red, already know his name so no need to write it down. Only when he has gone will I take the book out to record the sending off.

I changed to this half way through the season, as when it was cold I often struggled to get the cards out of the sleeve in the notebook.Combination of cold hands and the plastic on the book shrinking when it was cold I think.

Made things much easier and tidier for me. It meant the writing and eyes in the book was minimal, I could dip my hand into a pocket after taking the name and still talking to issue the card. Also meant I didn't need a separate yellow and red - if I was 100% sure without looking it was the same player I could go straight to the pockets and show the cards before doing the nessecary writing when he was walking.

Would recommend. Took some getting used to though after being used to other system for so long!

If you use the notebook which has both cards in a slip then it's easy. But is this question really about a double yellow procedure? OP would have had the same problem with a straight red.
I always have 2 sets of cards - shirt pockets and side short pockets. Never liked cards in the back pocket - they always fall out.
Yellow right side, red left side. One doesn't want to come? I'll grab the other one. No dramas.
Right hand yellow comes down, left hand red comes up. Yellow is in the right because I'm right handed, use my right hand more, and use the yellow card more. So logic.
If you use the notebook which has both cards in a slip then it's easy. But is this question really about a double yellow procedure? OP would have had the same problem with a straight red.
I always have 2 sets of cards - shirt pockets and side short pockets. Never liked cards in the back pocket - they always fall out.
Yellow right side, red left side. One doesn't want to come? I'll grab the other one. No dramas.
Right hand yellow comes down, left hand red comes up. Yellow is in the right because I'm right handed, use my right hand more, and use the yellow card more. So logic.
Exactly what I do.

Back