A&H

5-4 first report

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Too many old farts out there who think being a "Guardian Of Standards" means the ref should be doing what they think is right and not necessarily as per the LOTG. Observations are a box-ticking exercise which, depending on the nature of the game can give you a high or "complied" mark. When I observe that's what I do. Observe and record. It's not about trying to trip people up or catch them out.
Some of the observers I've met on the circuit should be tucked up at home with a warm blanket over their legs and a hot milky drink - not stood/sat anywhere near a football match ... :rolleyes:
Whilst you're undoubtedly to some extent right in this assertion, until or unless younger officials come forward as observers to replace the 'old guard' then many counties will be faced with a choice between sub optimal observations or no observations at all. Whilst there's certainly a very small minority of observations that actively hinder a referee's progression, the vast majority (from my experience) offer some helpful advice alongside the more dubious input. So, the situation is glass half full I believe :)

Whilst you're undoubtedly to some extent right in this assertion, until or unless younger officials come forward as observers to replace the 'old guard' then many counties will be faced with a choice between sub optimal observations or no observations at all. Whilst there's certainly a very small minority of observations that actively hinder a referee's progression, the vast majority (from my experience) offer some helpful advice alongside the more dubious input. So, the situation is glass half full I believe :)

Very diplomatically put there Tottingham. I'd tend to agree ... 😉👍⚽

You've definitely mentioned this before. I just can't imagine an O reducing an R to tears in the dressing room! Unreal

He wasn't crying his eyes out! But he was holding a few tears back. Was a young lad trying to fly up the ladder. I think it was more shock than anything.

I remember driving away thinking that refereeing was a bit different than I'd imagined!

Got the report back. Final mark was 75. I did the full substitute procedure etc but it wasn't pointed out on the report so probably right to do it in the end.
Very solid mark mate. Well done. Were you on promotion scheme last year?

Very solid mark mate. Well done. Were you on promotion scheme last year?

Cheers. 6-5 last year but up in Sheffield & Hallamshire.

I even had good comments on the social media of a Bristol Combination League game i did last night. Its kne of those periods where things are going right and you're refereeing confidentially and with control. Obviously the exact opposite is only ever potentially a game away but it's nice to have a good run of 'form' if there is such a thing. Got another assessment tomorrow on my first ever step 6 middle so hopefully it continues for at least one more game....

Cheers. 6-5 last year but up in Sheffield & Hallamshire.

I even had good comments on the social media of a Bristol Combination League game i did last night. Its kne of those periods where things are going right and you're refereeing confidentially and with control. Obviously the exact opposite is only ever potentially a game away but it's nice to have a good run of 'form' if there is such a thing. Got another assessment tomorrow on my first ever step 6 middle so hopefully it continues for at least one more game....
Ah that's a shame. Thought you might be in line for a mid season.
Assume that's a western league game?
If its a side from down our way let me know and I'll give you any info I can.

Step 6 not 5 😁 won't be any of our lot. Good luck all the same

I think there are a few that are in line for mid season promotions but yes it won't be me. Because of covid etc even though I did 6-5 last year alot of the higher level stuff was curtailed. So I'm going for 5-4 but I haven't even had a County League middle until last week. It's good to be in at the deep end though.

That's better than very solid, it is outstanding. I haven't seen a 5 to 4 mark that high since the new competencies and form came in.

Step 6 game today (my first). Not a bad performance I dont think but it certainly won't be as high a mark. Several things I could've done better and 1 caution I shouldve given but didn't. Cracking experience though. Poor match from an entertainment perspective. Most interesting thing was a kid (18 months old at a guess) ran on the pitch during the 2nd half and there was quite a concerning wait of about 2 minutes before the parents realised and came to get him 🤣

Step 6 game today (my first). Not a bad performance I dont think but it certainly won't be as high a mark. Several things I could've done better and 1 caution I shouldve given but didn't. Cracking experience though. Poor match from an entertainment perspective. Most interesting thing was a kid (18 months old at a guess) ran on the pitch during the 2nd half and there was quite a concerning wait of about 2 minutes before the parents realised and came to get him 🤣
Well done.
As you start to ref these games, certainly once you get your hands on step 5, clubs start to expect discipline, rather than management. If I was to single out the major difference at level 4 this would be up there.
All the best for your observation. Have you had your debrief yet?

Well done.
As you start to ref these games, certainly once you get your hands on step 5, clubs start to expect discipline, rather than management. If I was to single out the major difference at level 4 this would be up there.
All the best for your observation. Have you had your debrief yet?

Agreed. I gave 4 cautions but the captain stopped a promising attack on the edge of the area by holding him and I didn't give the caution. Over thinking it really, just get the yellow out.

Had 2 debriefs. One after an observation last week which was quite quick and there weren't really any development points of note. Yesterday's went on for quite a while. The missed yellow was one. He questioned another yellow (wasn't sure it was even a foul) but it happened right in front of an ex football league assistant who said yellow straight away and I agree with him. Away team wanted red but yellow was the correct call, player knew it too. He did make some very good development points about taking to long to get the yellow out when performing the caution procedure etc. Made a point about longer strides when marking out 10 yards. There was a point about carding for persistent fouls as there were quite a few in the game but I said no one had gone over 3 and he checked his notes and that was true so he was happy with that. He said some nice things about my fitness and positioning + body language. It was another positive experience to be honest. I knew I'd made some mistakes and he explained what I shouldve done well. Someone told me he was a nightmare and marks very low so we shall see but it didn't feel that way. I'd guess a 70 but we shall see.

Well done, it's definitely a step up to do supply league games from grassroots.

Agree with @JamesL about the expectation, especially on physical and cynical fouls.

With the 75 you got, it gives you a buffer if you don’t get such a great mark, however I do think that it will be taken into account that you were operating at a higher level than you would normally be observed at.
Main things, enjoy the experience, learn from it and have confidence that you can operate at this level week in, week out.

Well done, it's definitely a step up to do supply league games from grassroots.

Agree with @JamesL about the expectation, especially on physical and cynical fouls.

With the 75 you got, it gives you a buffer if you don’t get such a great mark, however I do think that it will be taken into account that you were operating at a higher level than you would normally be observed at.
Main things, enjoy the experience, learn from it and have confidence that you can operate at this level week in, week out.

Absolutely. I dont get worried over the mark itself or the promotion, a bit long in the tooth for that. I do want to get better and stay at this level though so it goes hand in hand but I'm in no rush and it appears 5-4s will get chances this season to middle in step 6. One of the Assistants was ex football league, he was just class throughout. Other Assistant was an experienced level 5. Having 2 Assistants as competent as that really does help.

Turns out I got a 74. A very, very detailed report to be fair to the Assessor. He must have made 20 pages of notes, fair play to him.
I thought we were moving away from excessive detail.
Probably felt he had to justify the mark.
Hopefully got some good strengths to carry on with and some worthwhile developments, if you can find them... 👍

Turns out I got a 74. A very, very detailed report to be fair to the Assessor. He must have made 20 pages of notes, fair play to him.
Nice one. Basically you're 9 marks ahead of the requirement with 3 observations left. That means even if you have one really poor game it won't kill you or leave you sweating.

I remember going into my final observation knowing that anything above a 55 would see me reach an average of 70 and it was really nice to referee it with the pressure off.

I thought we were moving away from excessive detail.
Probably felt he had to justify the mark.
Hopefully got some good strengths to carry on with and some worthwhile developments, if you can find them... 👍

I got a 2 for the cautioning procedure. I agree with his comments about taking too long. I was waiting to see if the injured player was but had the notebook in my hand so everyone could see I was going to brandish a yellow to try and calm everyone down but he made some fair points about cautioning as per LOTG which is good development I think. A missed caution which I knew about and in the debrief was just honest and told him I over thought it and shouldve just gone yellow. It's a very detailed report but it is well written so the detail isn't lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back