A&H

A lighter thread - Your favourite decisions?

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
As the the title says, not one to take too seriously but what decisions do you like making?

AR today - Womens National League match - I had an offside scorer from a rebound. No idea why it gives me pleasure but it just does. Yesterday's made doubly pleasing by a) No arguments and b) Ref telling me it as a good spot and spot on at half time.

Made up for the fact it was a 0-0 in the pouring rain! :p

Over to you.......

The Referee Store
As the the title says, not one to take too seriously but what decisions do you like making?

AR today - Womens National League match - I had an offside scorer from a rebound. No idea why it gives me pleasure but it just does. Yesterday's made doubly pleasing by a) No arguments and b) Ref telling me it as a good spot and spot on at half time.

Made up for the fact it was a 0-0 in the pouring rain! :p

Over to you.......
I am with you and I know why. It's the surprise decisions for uncommon laws that everyone knows but would not otherwise notice except for the fact that you picked it up. It shows that you are doing your job right and paying attention to details.

Another one is when the pen taker scores off a rebound from the woodwork. As an AR, flagging offside when a player touches the ball in a clear onside position.

I am with you and I know why. It's the surprise decisions for uncommon laws that everyone knows but would not otherwise notice except for the fact that you picked it up. It shows that you are doing your job right and paying attention to details.

Another one is when the pen taker scores off a rebound from the woodwork. As an AR, flagging offside when a player touches the ball in a clear onside position.
I hope he was offside at the moment the ball was played firstly though 🤣😜

For me it's the advantage and then going back and getting the offender afterwards. Mainly as it is something I have struggled with, so intent on the next phase of play not recognising the offender. I feel sh*t when I don't get them so it feels great when I do.

Last week, AR1, attacker slides to block a clearance inside the goal area, second attacker collects the ball and slots home. I flag the offside. The second attacker came back from offside position. It was a weird call. But correct.

Found out at half time that an AR observer was filming. I’ve seen it on video and it was bang on.

(Unfortunately, in the same game I allowed an offside goal, probably my biggest mistake in hmm 4-5 years with the flag - also on video :( )

Last week, AR1, attacker slides to block a clearance inside the goal area, second attacker collects the ball and slots home. I flag the offside. The second attacker came back from offside position. It was a weird call. But correct.

Found out at half time that an AR observer was filming. I’ve seen it on video and it was bang on.

(Unfortunately, in the same game I allowed an offside goal, probably my biggest mistake in hmm 4-5 years with the flag - also on video :( )

Oh go on then, where's the video?

I hope he was offside at the moment the ball was played firstly though 🤣😜

For me it's the advantage and then going back and getting the offender afterwards. Mainly as it is something I have struggled with, so intent on the next phase of play not recognising the offender. I feel sh*t when I don't get them so it feels great when I do.

Made slightly more complicated now James, as you know, so hopefully you will get even more pleasure from the ones that DO come up! :p

simple one but called an offside at the weekend that even the coach agreed was a great call. Got an email from them today complimenting my performance

The obvious ones like advantage leading to a goal, or successfully going back to caution after an advantage.

I do always take pleasure when I have set a player up for a card using the stepped approach and then they oblige. When they protest one of their own team says something along the lines of "well you have been warned, you can't blame him"

With advantage I particularly enjoy the ones when all team mates are yelling for a foul and I am the only one who is thinking, wait a second... there may be something developing here. And if that leads to a goal, you walk with your chest 3 meters in front of you and a grin even wider.
And if they have a shot that goes wide, you always get that smartarse who tells, where is the advantage ref.

The obvious ones like advantage leading to a goal, or successfully going back to caution after an advantage.

I do always take pleasure when I have set a player up for a card using the stepped approach and then they oblige. When they protest one of their own team says something along the lines of "well you have been warned, you can't blame him"
Oooh yes, that's a good one.

Had a player once who I thought was committing a few fouls. First time I mentioned it, I got "Nah, that's my first, you're getting me mixed up with someone else ref!"
So on his next foul, I get to go "OK, it was definitely you that time - no more!"
And then the next time I didn't even have to say anything. Blew my whistle for the foul, he turns round, says "Fair enough" and walks over to give me his name. Least argument for a card I've ever had!

Giving a dissent caution to a Substitute warming up at the side of the pitch put a big smile on my face .... if not on his because apparently "I can't do that" 😂

Years ago, when I was still just a club AR, I had a corner right in front of me. The ball was kicked smack into near goal post (without leaving the field of play too) and rebounded to the corner taker. My flag was up in an instant. I was actually slightly miffed that the ref was alive to the infringement and whistled for the IFK before he had even seen the flag.

Years ago, when I was still just a club AR, I had a corner right in front of me. The ball was kicked smack into near goal post (without leaving the field of play too) and rebounded to the corner taker. My flag was up in an instant. I was actually slightly miffed that the ref was alive to the infringement and whistled for the IFK before he had even seen the flag.
It was have been years ago if it was called an infringement, because nowadays it's called an offence :p

First ever game was as an AR. Only really knew the basic signals. Last 5 mina of the game and a long shot following a cleared corner hits the bar and goes over the line and bouncers back into the keepers hands. I flag and run down the touchline to indicate a goal being scored. No debate, everyone happy. Only time ive ever been nervous on a football field was that game because I didn't know all the signals etc so was chuffed I got it right.

Plus the ref was being observed so I was pleased for him. He got hammered in the end completely unfairly for correctly awarding a penalty and issuing a red card for violent conduct and cried in the dressing room but thats another story 🤣

Back