A&H

Cardiff Newcastle

The Referee Store
Arter one was a light shade of orange for me. Really on the very edge of excessive and endangering. It wasnt particularly forceful so I think I would back the ref here, just. But I accept your view on it too and had the ref decided a red card I think i could have backed him also.

All about opinions
Why is it though, that a player can scythe down an opponent, entirely deliberately, yet another is dismissed for an offence which may have been mis-timed?
Regardless, Mr P is not for me
I know it's difficult, but his all round game is unconvincing. He's been on my black list for a while

Arter (not Arta)'s foul was a caution for me. Whilst there was little attempt to play the ball it was a trip rather than six studs down the back of the calf.

I would be very, very worried if any qualified referee tried to justify Hayden's challenge. Doesn't matter what else happened in the game, that is a red card every day of the week.

Arter (not Arta)'s foul was a caution for me. Whilst there was little attempt to play the ball it was a trip rather than six studs down the back of the calf.

I would be very, very worried if any qualified referee tried to justify Hayden's challenge. Doesn't matter what else happened in the game, that is a red card every day of the week.
Be worried...be very worried
At least i'm openly black & white
Hacked down at knee height. No attempt to play the ball at all. Yellow for me also, nonetheless under the football expects law

Be worried...be very worried
At least i'm openly black & white
Hacked down at knee height. No attempt to play the ball at all. Yellow for me also, nonetheless under the football expects law

A little bit too black and white … :)

Spot on. Also, I think pawson's clearly gone straight to his back pocket as well, that was always going to be red.

Even a L7 would get mullered for missing the Kennedy kick out..... The other decisions were pretty much as expected good calls!!

Rightly or wrongly I will never give that as a penalty. When I slide, one arm is always in the air. Dunno why but it is. no handball for me.
Of course after the world cup final it's clear everything is handball this season

Why is it though, that a player can scythe down an opponent, entirely deliberately, yet another is dismissed for an offence which may have been mis-timed?
Because whether a foul was deliberate or mis-timed (by which you're implying presumably, that he didn't really mean to commit a foul) is irrelevant. Intent ceased to be a factor that the referee should consider in 1995, when it was removed from the wording of the law in relation to such fouls. With a challenge like this, when you're trying to decide if it should be a red card, it doesn't matter if it was mis-timed, only if it endangered the opponent's safety.

Because whether a foul was deliberate or mis-timed (by which you're implying presumably, that he didn't really mean to commit a foul) is irrelevant. Intent ceased to be a factor that the referee should consider in 1995, when it was removed from the wording of the law in relation to such fouls. With a challenge like this, when you're trying to decide if it should be a red card, it doesn't matter if it was mis-timed, only if it endangered the opponent's safety.
Although the press are broadly in agreement that Pawson had a day to forget, there are no noises coming out of the North East regarding any appeal. It's clear therefore that i failed to spot SFP in real time. I wasn't alone and it's quite likely an assistant made the call
However, i'm not too proud to admit a mistake, especially one made in a Greek bar with my black & white beer goggles on!
What needs to happen for Kenedy to be charged? Won't it take Pawson to be disingenuous by saying he missed it, when he couldn't have missed it? He's gonna be a big talent (for Chelsea), but he"s raw and immature and could do with learning a lesson, even if it takes an embellished report

Although the press are broadly in agreement that Pawson had a day to forget, there are no noises coming out of the North East regarding any appeal. It's clear therefore that i failed to spot SFP in real time. I wasn't alone and it's quite likely an assistant made the call
However, i'm not too proud to admit a mistake, especially one made in a Greek bar with my black & white beer goggles on!
What needs to happen for Kenedy to be charged? Won't it take Pawson to be disingenuous by saying he missed it, when he couldn't have missed it? He's gonna be a big talent (for Chelsea), but he"s raw and immature and could do with learning a lesson, even if it takes an embellished report

He clearly did miss it, he shouldn't have but he did. So I would expect his report to say as much, and Kenedy will be charged and be handed a 3 game ban.

He clearly did miss it, he shouldn't have but he did. So I would expect his report to say as much, and Kenedy will be charged and be handed a 3 game ban.
But how can he say he missed it after awarding a dfk for said incident?

But how can he say he missed it after awarding a dfk for said incident?

Did he though? On MoTD he clearly misses it (ball-watching) and play continues for a bit before he seems to blow the whistle for an unrelated matter.

Did he though? On MoTD he clearly misses it (ball-watching) and play continues for a bit before he seems to blow the whistle for an unrelated matter.
Looked to me like he pointed to the cardiff player on the floor, who'd just been booted and the free kick was then taken from the location of the offence. Seemed cut and dry thats why he had blown up.

Im not suggesting he has seen it. But I am sure you can imagine thats quite a complicated position to be in to say you haven't seen something that you appear to have penalised.

Guessing a DFK then. The penalty decision was the only time he looked certain. Shame he guessed a safe defensive free kick or throw in at every opportunity
Did i mention, i don't rate Mr P? Maybe i've done the subject to deatb...

The guidelines on retrospective action were made more flexible in 2013, to allow for the referee to say that although they saw something, they did not have a sufficiently clear view of an incident to arrive at the correct decision (which then allows for it to be reviewed).

A newspaper article on this explained it as follows:
The previous position was that if the referee saw an incident but took no action at the time then the FA were powerless to take retrospective action except in exceptional circumstances [...]

But in March 2013 there was controversy when Wigan’s Callum McManaman escaped action for a reckless horror tackle on Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara after the referee admitted seeing the challenge fly in but said he did not get a good view of the full severity of the challenge.

The FA set up an internal review and the next term introduced more flexible retrospective rules to avoid a repeat.

Back