A&H

Chelsea v Sheff Wed

Its ridiculous that some FA Cup games have VAR and some dont.

Did anyone see the clip in the EvErton game when a Millwall hand ball which i think lead to a goal was shown on the big screen, Marco Silva asking the 4th official to look at it and Neil Harris screaming up towards the directors box to get it off the big screen, absolute farce.

The Referee Store
Can we all take a minute to mourn the death of Wednesdays season..... It started off with lots of hope and ambition, but all they have to play for now is pride, the Derby and a small matter of a relegation battle!! Good luck Agent Bruce, S2 expects!!! :redcard:

Can we all take a minute to mourn the death of Wednesdays season..... It started off with lots of hope and ambition, but all they have to play for now is pride, the Derby and a small matter of a relegation battle!! Good luck Agent Bruce, S2 expects!!! :redcard:
Yawn! Any chance of discussing reffing on this forum?
Blades mad awaits your highness.

the penalty overturned for Sheffield, any idea why the restart was a drop ball rather than a corner?
Great decision on the overturn for the penalty, but why no corner? Sheffield Wednesday lose out effectively on a penalty that if at Hillsborough would have stood as no VAR at non premier league grounds.
But they don't get a corner either from the resulting tackle.
Why a corner? Its a clear foul on Ampadu and should have been a DFK to Chelsea.

A clear foul?

Screenshot_20190128-003045.jpg
Screenshot_20190128-003151.jpg
More like a good interception where contact was to be expected.

The ball was already gone when he blew for a penalty. So corner.
If a drop ball, he should have done it uncontested and edge of the area.

The referee drops the ball at the position where it was when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area in which case the ball is dropped on the goal area line which is parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was when play was stopped.

A clear foul?

View attachment 2978
View attachment 2981
More like a good interception where contact was to be expected.

If a drop ball, he should have done it uncontested and edge of the area.

The referee drops the ball at the position where it was when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area in which case the ball is dropped on the goal area line which is parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was when play was stopped.

We seem to be of many disagreement lately 😄

Freeze frame is not proofe for anything. The laws do not refer to 'expected contact'. There is only CRUEF. Run the video and the kick at the back of the helel is at least careless .

What do you mean by 'uncontested'. Referees can not manufacture the outcome of a dropped ball.

And play does not stop at the moment the whistle is blown. It's at the moment the foul is committed or referee decides to stop play. Otherwise even if this was a foul by Chelsea it could have not been a penalty because referee blew the whistle after the ball went out of play.

So it can never be a corner (ball went out after the referee considered play stopped). It's either a foul ( for either team) or a dropped ball.

Last edited:
Not so - it's not where the ball was when the whistle was blown, it's where the ball was when the decision was made by the referee. As soon as the referee makes the decision to give the penalty, that's when play is considered to have stopped, not when he finally gets around to blowing the whistle.

Edit: Oops, I see @one already made this point.

Not so - it's not where the ball was when the whistle was blown, it's where the ball was when the decision was made by the referee. As soon as the referee makes the decision to give the penalty, that's when play is considered to have stopped, not when he finally gets around to blowing the whistle.

Edit: Oops, I see @one already made this point.
Haha. We think alike. In general that is the case but it's a little more complicated than that though. It will be more accurate to say that ball is out of play at the moment of the incident the decision was made for as ometimes the referee needed a little time to make a decision. The whistle is just the communication of the decision which was made moment earlier.

Haha. We think alike. In general that is the case but it's a little more complicated than that though. It will be more accurate to say that ball is out of play at the moment of the incident the decision was made for as ometimes the referee needed a little time to make a decision. The whistle is just the communication of the decision which was made moment earlier.
I understand that. But it seems a trifle unfair that because the referee made a mistake wednesday missed out on a corner. Would not have changed overall outcome of the game but I would definitely day it was a match changing decision.

I understand that. But it seems a trifle unfair that because the referee made a mistake wednesday missed out on a corner. Would not have changed overall outcome of the game but I would definitely day it was a match changing decision.
I really think if there was no mistakes made then Chelsea should have had a FK.

But for the sake of your point, that is the nature of referee mistakes. A team is going to be disadvantaged. Missing out on a corner is minor compared to calling a striker who is through on goal offside by mistake then realising it was not offside. And that happens much more frequently than the OP. Judging mistakes always have unfair consequences :)

I really think if there was no mistakes made then Chelsea should have had a FK.

But for the sake of your point, that is the nature of referee mistakes. A team is going to be disadvantaged. Missing out on a corner is minor compared to calling a striker who is through on goal offside by mistake then realising it was not offside. And that happens much more frequently than the OP. Judging mistakes always have unfair consequences :)
Correct..but the alternative outcome was obvious and thus there is an opportunity to restore the balance following the mistake. Particularly as the error was clear and obvious.

Back