A&H

Conflict of interest

es1

RefChat Addict
Has anyone ever had to come off a game due to a conflict of interest before?

I was appointed to a city ladies game today (cup semi final v arsenal) but thought it best to speak to the appointing officer who decided it would be best to take me off the game.

Dissapointing as it would have been a very nice game to officiate in and I'm sure I'd be able to do the job without any problems but probably for the best, just in case :(

Hopefully the refereeing karma gds repay me quickly!

The Referee Store
They normally do, honesty is rewarded in refereeing.

So, it will be the final with Arsenal (as they knock City out).......

Has anyone ever had to come off a game due to a conflict of interest before?

I was appointed to a city ladies game today (cup semi final v arsenal) but thought it best to speak to the appointing officer who decided it would be best to take me off the game.

Dissapointing as it would have been a very nice game to officiate in and I'm sure I'd be able to do the job without any problems but probably for the best, just in case :(

Hopefully the refereeing karma gds repay me quickly!
what was the conflict mate

what was the conflict mate

Being a Man city season ticket holder!

Not the same team obviously but still, not a great idea to officiate them in a pretty big game when questions could get asked if I make a dodgy decision (and someone finds out)

If there is even the slightest potential for a conflict of interest you need to be declaring it. It may well be that the authorities say that it isn't a problem and you are left on the game, but at least you have covered yourself in case anything kicks off afterwards.

Classic example is you have a relative who plays for the club you are due to referee. It doesn't matter how far removed that team is from the team you are refereeing (e.g. relative plays for U11s and you are refereeing 1st team) you need to declare it to cover yourself. Or in es1's case you support the parent club of the team you are due to referee - he probably has no affinity whatsoever to the women's team but they play under the same name, wear the same kit, share other facilities, etc, so you would be mad not to declare it.

I've done my brother's games before - but as his team is grassroots division 5, that was more a case of if I didn't do it, they wouldn't have a referee. Cleared it with the league before doing it for the first time and ended up being assigned to his side a number of times after as well.

I've done my brother's games before - but as his team is grassroots division 5, that was more a case of if I didn't do it, they wouldn't have a referee. Cleared it with the league before doing it for the first time and ended up being assigned to his side a number of times after as well.

That's kind of my point - the league know about if and have sanctioned it. So if there should be a sh!t storm following a game you can sit back, take the moral high ground, and say you have done nothing wrong. All about protecting your reputation and professionalism ...

Being a Man city season ticket holder!

Not the same team obviously but still, not a great idea to officiate them in a pretty big game when questions could get asked if I make a dodgy decision (and someone finds out)
good decision avoid potential problems

As a previous committee member and appointments manager - calling up with concern about a conflict of interest in appointment will never be viewed poorly upon the referee. Not making the call will be.
I've made the call as a referee myself a few times - occasionally they've said they not concerned that the conflict is strong enough and it was fine. So I have refereed family members (close cousin) before as a result.

I think you made the right decision declaring the possible conflict

Had it twice last season. Appointed to a county cup match involving the team I used to play for and also appointed to a women's FA cup qualifying match involving Burton Albion and at the time I was an Albion season ticket holder. On both occasions I let county know and they were happy to leave me on the fixture. Personally I didn't have a problem doing either game but felt it best to let county know just in case any issues came up because of it.

Reactions: es1
i do West Ham Ladies often ... West Ham ST holder, never declared it ... nowhere does it say I have to, and ive never been biased towards them (infact they have only draw 2 and won 1 of all the games ive done for them)

i do West Ham Ladies often ... West Ham ST holder, never declared it ... nowhere does it say I have to, and ive never been biased towards them (infact they have only draw 2 and won 1 of all the games ive done for them)

but all it takes is one decision and one disgruntled fan / official / player to look into you and start asking some very awkward questions

until that happens, ill leave it.

that being said - I can appreciate being a level 4 that you need to start being more careful etc

that being said - I can appreciate being a level 4 that you need to start being more careful etc
It's actually part of the FA regulations for referees (which we agree to when registering each season) so you should really declare it
FA regulations said:
10. CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
A Referee shall at all times act impartially. Where a Referee believes that there is a material interest conflicting with the duties and obligations of a Match Official and any appointment, then the Referee shall decline to act or officiate and declare it to the appointing authority (whose decision in relation to any dispute or difference in such matters shall be final and binding).

It's actually part of the FA regulations for referees (which we agree to when registering each season) so you should really declare it
But actually, in this case, Charlie has decided that he believes there is no conflict of interest, which is all that the FA regulations have asked him to do. Personally, I'd agree that it's better to err on the side of caution but it's entirely Charlie's prerogative not to ....

Is there is a problem, then your County FA will get involved so potential hearings.

Also, you have disclosed this on forum.

Why risk it? Why risk suspension and your reputation being damaged beyond repair? OK, its probably not that likely to happen, but people are all too quick to report referees and it is very often other referees doing it. What if the referee (if you are on the line) knows you are a West Ham fan and you make an honest but very debatable game changing decision in their favour? All sorts of things might be going through his mind at that point.

But actually, in this case, Charlie has decided that he believes there is no conflict of interest, which is all that the FA regulations have asked him to do. Personally, I'd agree that it's better to err on the side of caution but it's entirely Charlie's prerogative not to ....

And if the FA believe there is a conflict of interest, they won't care what Charlie believes.

Back