A&H

England v Nederland

Status
Not open for further replies.
He called him offside.

It's like the damn world cup all over again on here. I guess people refuse to accept the modern job of referees and will just complain on here all season. Should make this forum so much fun during the Premier League season.

The Referee Store
He called him offside.

It's like the damn world cup all over again on here. I guess people refuse to accept the modern job of referees and will just complain on here all season. Should make this forum so much fun during the Premier League season.
I know we're polar opposites on the subject, but forums best fit opinions and rants
I get frustrated because VAR could work. I see bits which are a work in progress. I'm convinced that 2 minute delays could be superseded by 2 second outcomes. I think the Premier League will do a better job of it as they have a handle on our demands and expectations
I do feel for ARs though. It would be like going into work and being presented with the tea trolley
We'e opposed on VAR, but that doesn't mean i don't respect your posts in overall! We never learn much from people we're aligned with

Last edited:
As for suicidal playing out from the back, it works for 'have's' against 'have nots', but teams are otherwise trying to copy Man City (and the like) with car crash consequences

He didn't get confused. He did his job. I get that you guys hate it but he did what he's been told to do. So get used to it already.
He did get confused. There was an obvious PIOP (Sterling) chasing the ball, the AR paused about to raise his flag, but then ran again, waited until Sterling was close to challenging the GK, and then raised his flag. By this time he was well behind the play. It looked bad.

It wasn't a close call. It wasn't close enough to justify waiting for a goalscoring opportunity. Sterling was obviously going to become active.
It looked bad. The pause and failure to raise the flag meant he didn't do his job. IMHO of course.

Last edited:
Question: Lingard whistled for Offsides when it came from a goal kick, soon after he came on in second half. Law 11:3 says no offsides when ball received directly from a Goal Kick. Have I missed an update to this rule?

Thanks!!

Question: Lingard whistled for Offsides when it came from a goal kick, soon after he came on in second half. Law 11:3 says no offsides when ball received directly from a Goal Kick. Have I missed an update to this rule?

Thanks!!
Not sure of the exact instance but I'm sure it was just a free-kick in the penalty or goal area rather than a goal-kick.

Should make this forum so much fun during the Premier League season.

I think we may set up a new forum section "VAR - F*** ups", which will allow all the VAR controversies to be posted to and we can just ignore it you want to rather than clog up existing sections...

@Ross - any thoughts?

Not sure what everyone is complaining about. VAR works, it’s just slow. It’ll speed up over time. As Neville said last night, if that goal was down the other end we’d all want them to take as long as it needs to get it right.

As for suicidal playing out from the back, it works for 'have's' against 'have nots', but teams are otherwise trying to copy Man City (and the like) with car crash consequences

I'd tend to agree with you. :(

England looked pretty clueless for long periods last night. Stones was a liability. All the Dutch had to do was press when we were in possession and our midfield (if you could call it that last night) was rendered totally ineffective, waiting for the ball to come to it via the back four.
I also couldn't help noticing how much more precise and accurate the Dutch close-quarter passing was compared to ours. Basic skills that should be a given for our players considering some of the clubs and salaries being represented last night. :eek:
That Dutch team are a long way from being World beaters but Koeman's simple tactic of closing down the space between our defence and our unimaginative midfield made us look frankly, amateurish.

Thought the ref was excellent. :cool:

England looked pretty clueless for long periods last night. Stones was a liability. All the Dutch had to do was press when we were in possession and our midfield (if you could call it that last night) was rendered totally ineffective, waiting for the ball to come to it via the back four.
I also couldn't help noticing how much more precise and accurate the Dutch close-quarter passing was compared to ours. Basic skills that should be a given for our players considering some of the clubs and salaries being represented last night. :eek:
That Dutch team are a long way from being World beaters but Koeman's simple tactic of closing down the space between our defence and our unimaginative midfield made us look frankly, amateurish.

Good post @Kes a good bit of scrumpy and the Manager brain kicks in! 👍

Reactions: Kes

Yet England's frontline are fairly potent and the post match assessment would've taken on a different flavour had Lingard cut his toenails. There's a couple of promising midfielders breaking through, but The Lions forever come up short when all the cards are on the table

I wonder if Jack O’Connell and Chris Basham will figure next time when the overlapping ball playing centre halves theorem is dropped on the Prem in August! 🤔

Yet England's frontline are fairly potent and the post match assessment would've taken on a different flavour had Lingard cut his toenails. There's a couple of promising midfielders breaking through, but The Lions forever come up short when all the cards are on the table

I'm generally a cup is half full man where my national team are concerned. Irrespective of whether Lingard had delayed his run by a nanosecond or not, England's only goal (and notable chance until that point) came from the spot after a defensive gift from Holland. Granted, Holland didn't create much more but they were able to stick 3 goals past us without much ingenuity. I know Kane's probably the best we've got but he's still a lumberer for me and his first touch is still shocking.
Last night was a reality check for us (again!!).

I ain't really interested in the process tbh
It just needs to be as quick or almost as quick as GLT, end of
Regardless, if Lingard had blown his nose before entering the FOP, he would snot have been offside ;)

Not going to happen at least not in the next couple of decades.

GLT is entirely computerised, cameras monitor the goal line and if the whole of the ball crosses the whole of the line the referee is automatically alerted.

VAR relies on humans to make the decisions, humans aren't as fast as machines so need time to find the right footage at the right angles view it and then come to a decision.

It will get quicker, as someone else has already pointed out, the more it is used the more confident people will be using the equipment and making decisions will become easier.

I'm generally a cup is half full man where my national team are concerned. Irrespective of whether Lingard had delayed his run by a nanosecond or not, England's only goal (and notable chance until that point) came from the spot after a defensive gift from Holland. Granted, Holland didn't create much more but they were able to stick 3 goals past us without much ingenuity. I know Kane's probably the best we've got but he's still a lumberer for me and his first touch is still shocking.
Last night was a reality check for us (again!!).
We had a chance To go 2-0 with a Sancho header. We gifted that to Holland. A side from kamikaze defensive passing I thought we matched them.
Have said it for a long time John Stones is a liability. Always has been. Thinks he is much better than he is. Decision making is terrible
Liked how maguire drove forward from the back that's how playing from the back should be.
Kyle walker was poor all night too. Poor passing. Tryi g to take on players when he was theast man. I admire Southgate saying we won't abandon the game plan. That's fine. But we need training on decision making as last night we did it at all the wrong times.

VR can't be instantaneous so long as it is designed to review judgment calls. Sports that have very fast review are reviewing black and white things--did the tennis ball hit the line. Most sport exclude judgment calls. But even ostensibly black and white reviews in other sports take time (i'm thinking NBA basketball--who touched it last) or American baseball (was the tag before the runner touched the base). If those factual reviews take time, how did anyone ever expect it would be fast to determine on video both whether the arm and ball had contact (Factual) and whether it meets the definition of deliberate (judgment). Even the primary factual call--OSP--is complicated by timing and precisely determining positions of players 3o yards apart from one another. That all takes, and will always take, time. (Unless, I suppose, we turn this all over to an AI . . . .)

We had a chance To go 2-0 with a Sancho header. We gifted that to Holland. A side from kamikaze defensive passing I thought we matched them.
Have said it for a long time John Stones is a liability. Always has been. Thinks he is much better than he is. Decision making is terrible
Liked how maguire drove forward from the back that's how playing from the back should be.
Kyle walker was poor all night too. Poor passing. Tryi g to take on players when he was theast man. I admire Southgate saying we won't abandon the game plan. That's fine. But we need training on decision making as last night we did it at all the wrong times.

I agree, Southgate wants to play our from the back, thats fine. But there is a time and a place. Look at City, they are masters of it from the goalkeeper, right through the team. But they change their game plan when they play Liverpool who are prepared to press them high up the pitch. Its all well and good playing out from the back but sometimes row Z will do while you re-set or a long ball into the channel. Stones poor, Walker poor. Maguire was better and i like Chilwell. It will be interesting to see a fit Joe Gomez in that back 4.

I agree, Southgate wants to play our from the back, thats fine. But there is a time and a place. Look at City, they are masters of it from the goalkeeper, right through the team. But they change their game plan when they play Liverpool who are prepared to press them high up the pitch. Its all well and good playing out from the back but sometimes row Z will do while you re-set or a long ball into the channel. Stones poor, Walker poor. Maguire was better and i like Chilwell. It will be interesting to see a fit Joe Gomez in that back 4.
Yes, most teams can play it out from the back, but only when they mix things up so it's not predictable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back