A&H

Equipment

Lillias

Level 7 Referee
Hi,

So my course is looking like it will be postponed till September due to not enough uptake. I want to get jump started into my career as soon as possible so was wondering what equipment I need.

Here is what I currently have:
Referee shirt
Referee shorts
Socks
Boots
Sock Tape
Shin Pads
(The course says I get a whistle and cards once I have attended)

Any help is much appreciated 😊

The Referee Store
you only need sock tape if you plan on using it for your own socks, shin pads obviously just for the course itself and not once you've qualified

you'll need match report cards (to make notes of teams / goals / discipline during the game and pens / pencils for writing and a set of linesman flags. possibly some sort of band or finger holder for holding the whistle.

2 watches. 1 to run continously and the other to stop and start to work out stoppage time.
Flags.
Something to write with
Something to write on.
Sock tape? Assume you mean to hold your own socks up - dont really get this issue.
Referee doesn't need shin pads, maybe for the course.

You'll need a coin for a coin toss too

2 watches. 1 to run continously and the other to stop and start to work out stoppage time.
Flags.
Something to write with
Something to write on.
Sock tape? Assume you mean to hold your own socks up - dont really get this issue.
Referee doesn't need shin pads, maybe for the course.

You'll need a coin for a coin toss too
I have refsix on my smart watch. Which watch do you think I should run continuously the smartwatch or one that I buy? Also, I know it sounds weird but which side do you put the watches on, Do you put them both on one arm or on separate ones? 😊

One on each wrist.
Doesn't matter which one really, whichever is the most Comfy. Best to experiment and find what works for you

You need to find a system that is most comfortable for you. I'm right-handed, so find it easier to stop/start the watch on my left wrist. So therefore, the one on the right runs continuously for 45 minutes, while the one on the left is the one that I will stop if there's a significant injury etc.

I have refsix on my smart watch. Which watch do you think I should run continuously the smartwatch or one that I buy? Also, I know it sounds weird but which side do you put the watches on, Do you put them both on one arm or on separate ones? 😊
And for that second watch, all you need is a cheap digital watch with a stop watch on it. You want the fancy watch/app to be the "official" watch, and the cheapie is there just in case you screw up the main watch or the batteries die or some such. (I assume Ref6 can be set to vibrate when time is up, which to me is the most valuable feature of a ref watch--though I always look to be sure its not vibrating for some other reason before calling time!)

(I agree on separate wrists as I can't imagine two on one being comfortable--but if its comfortable for you, nothing wrong with it.)

you only need sock tape if you plan on using it for your own socks, shin pads obviously just for the course itself and not once you've qualified
Can depend on what league you officiate on :)

Reactions: es1
This would be my "starting up" kit. There are obviously loads of different things you might add to this as you go on, and things that can be done on the cheap/free if necessary. I’ve added links so you can see them. As people have said above and will say to this, it is all personal preference, but I would say that these will do for getting started, and you will get an idea of what you like and what you don't like.

If you do have the money, I would recommend a good wicking base layer shirt/undies - best money I have ever spent!

The Kit (this is the current kit - it is not cheap, however there are cheaper alternatives available if you are on a tight budget)
Shirt (with a DECAL - FAMOA)
Shorts
Socks
Boots (cheap black ones) (go to a shop and try some on if you can)

Whistle and coin set (coin is pretty)
Cheap flag set

Cheap watch to go with your REFSIX compatible device (personally, I would start without the RefSix app, and use old school paper and pad - it helps me as it stops me rushing sometimes when I write down)

Match sheets (pad)
Red and Yellow with pouch for match record sheet
Red and Yellow Cards (with sinbin reminder on YC) <- loose cards
Pen and pencil

Last edited:
Pockets that close. I have velcro. When your coins, pens, cards, paper fly out of your pocket during the game...

I have a backup whistle in case the good one breaks.

Safety pins. I have a few attached to my bag. The first time my elastic band snapped on my shorts...let's just say the delay of game was funny.

A decent pair of black running shoes as at this time of year the ground is rock hard and pointless wearing studs.

Or just mouldies, despite being specifically for firm ground actually work well all the way through the season!!

Or just mouldies, despite being specifically for firm ground actually work well all the way through the season!!
I cant get away with mouldies as they cramp my feet up having very little flex or bounce compared to breathable running shoes.
However mouldies are good for 3 or 4G.

i've never found trainers or astros work well at this time of year as there's too much grass on the pitches which make them slippery with flats on

I've found that trail running shoes are better than standard running shoes--they tend to have a bid more traction and a bit more sideways support than standard running shoes.

What watch do you use for the ref six app. Is the app any good?

Whether any of the apps are "good" is largely a matter of personal preference and what you want your watch to do. For me, all I want the watch to do is keep time and have a vibrate function. I use the Referee Watch App (by Winder) on my Garmin, and it does everything I want--and does GPS tracking on top of it, which is just gravy. The ref six app can also do more in terms of tracking things in the game. For me that's pointless as it is easy to do with pen and paper and I don't have to mess with my watch.

But if you're just starting, I wouldn't see the watch as a place to invest--start with a cheap digital watch with a stop watch, and think about investing in more for a watch once you decide you're in it for the long haul. You'll also have a better idea of whether you want to do more on your watch than keep time.

I also suggest to start with basics and minimise risk of technology - paper (tiny pad is good, small cards are better, any paper will do), a pen (and a spare - pens with clips are good, not lids), at least one basic watch with a stopwatch function (preferably two, cheap casio will do).

Keep it simple and don't waste you money just yet. You will have enough to worry about on the field without complicating things!

Hi,

So my course is looking like it will be postponed till September due to not enough uptake. I want to get jump started into my career as soon as possible so was wondering what equipment I need.

Here is what I currently have:
Referee shirt
Referee shorts
Socks
Boots
Sock Tape
Shin Pads
(The course says I get a whistle and cards once I have attended)

Any help is much appreciated 😊
Hi @Lillias ... Welcome to refereeing! You can find everything you need here: www.TheRefereeStore.co.uk

Back