A&H

Everton vs City

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
or at a better angle where he was...
There would be no sensible or credible position where a referee could be stood that would make that an obvious handball decision. As others have said, he would have had to be on the goal line, and the last time I checked VAR hasn't given referees x-ray vision to allow them to see through player's bodies.

And let's not forget, there were many very obvious handball offences missed before VAR was even a concept. Need I mention Thierry Henry for starters ....

In the Laws of the Game 20/21 there was a diagram showing an image with a green shoulder area and a red lower arm. The change stated that "For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit" and the diagram was to represent that< Page 105 of the LotG for that year refers. Sine then the Red and Green description became used

IFAB could have had this sorted by having clear guidelines on how to interpret the new "arm definition" with proper diagrams the same way as shown when the ball is in or out for a goal no goal situation (in opposed to a 'stickman' with arm position which is almost never handball and no ball in the diagram).

We need proper diagrams with arm in various position (down, 45 degree up, 90 degree up), and in each position 3 diagrams with ball completely in green zone, completely in red zone and touching both side. This should settle everything and have a consistent approach in all leagues.

There would be no sensible or credible position where a referee could be stood that would make that an obvious handball decision. As others have said, he would have had to be on the goal line, and the last time I checked VAR hasn't given referees x-ray vision to allow them to see through player's bodies.

And let's not forget, there were many very obvious handball offences missed before VAR was even a concept. Need I mention Thierry Henry for starters ....
And John Terry for seconds.

And a few given that weren't.

Really don't think the PGMOL helps themselves by putting Kavanagh as VAR for a city game, it really just opens yourself up to accusations of bias from fans if a dubious decision goes for City. I know they like to have pairing when it comes to the ref and VAR but as we seen with Dean/Mason last season, it does not always mean it works unfortunately and this season it has been Tierney/Kavanagh under the spot light.

That said, why was the ref not sent to the monitor is a complete mystery too me, is it really just because the VAR wasn't sure it was a clear and obvious error not to award a penelty just because he was not sure whether the ball landed enough in the 'green zone'!?

Really don't think the PGMOL helps themselves by putting Kavanagh as VAR for a city game, it really just opens yourself up to accusations of bias from fans if a dubious decision goes for City. I know they like to have pairing when it comes to the ref and VAR but as we seen with Dean/Mason last season, it does not always mean it works unfortunately and this season it has been Tierney/Kavanagh under the spot light.

That said, why was the ref not sent to the monitor is a complete mystery too me, is it really just because the VAR wasn't sure it was a clear and obvious error not to award a penelty just because he was not sure whether the ball landed enough in the 'green zone'!?
Kavanagh reffed the Manchester derby last season, if he’s doing that there’s no way they’re not gonna let him be on VAR for city vs Everton. But do agree that when together Tierney and Kavanagh have made some poor decisions this season

Kavanagh reffed the Manchester derby last season, if he’s doing that there’s no way they’re not gonna let him be on VAR for city vs Everton. But do agree that when together Tierney and Kavanagh have made some poor decisions this season

But as we seen from the reaction, one controversial decision is resulting in him being accused of bias, imcompetence and rumours that apparently family members are City fans/season ticket holders which is totally unfair on Chris.

Plenty of people out there who could do the VAR role, why choose a Manchester born/from official to do a Man City game, its baffling.

But as we seen from the reaction, one controversial decision is resulting in him being accused of bias, imcompetence and rumours that apparently family members are City fans/season ticket holders which is totally unfair on Chris.

Plenty of people out there who could do the VAR role, why choose a Manchester born/from official to do a Man City game, its baffling.

you absolutely want to be whiter than white but i guess the issue is where do you draw the line?

taylor and dean are two other officials who have geographic links to manchester and liverpool based teams respectively. do you prevent them reffing either team because of this despite them not being fans pf any of the 4 teams?

there was the issue with taking friend off a tottenham game back in 2016 because he was a Leicester fan and they wanted to avoid a potential conflict (if i recall correctly) but that's a bit different

you absolutely want to be whiter than white but i guess the issue is where do you draw the line?

taylor and dean are two other officials who have geographic links to manchester and liverpool based teams respectively. do you prevent them reffing either team because of this despite them not being fans pf any of the 4 teams?

there was the issue with taking friend off a tottenham game back in 2016 because he was a Leicester fan and they wanted to avoid a potential conflict (if i recall correctly) but that's a bit different
But Dean was explicitly banned from Everton and Liverpool matches for years. It was only after it became clear that he was actually definitely a Tranmere fan that he was allowed to middle those matches, and even then it was only tried out in the Derby match for a season or two before he was allowed to be involved in matches with Liverpool teams vs others.

But Dean was explicitly banned from Everton and Liverpool matches for years. It was only after it became clear that he was actually definitely a Tranmere fan that he was allowed to middle those matches, and even then it was only tried out in the Derby match for a season or two before he was allowed to be involved in matches with Liverpool teams vs others.

no absolutely, so they went from a stricter approach to a more relaxed one, i do wonder why? to allow the refs to ref a wider spread of teams? i'm really not sure...

no absolutely, so they went from a stricter approach to a more relaxed one, i do wonder why? to allow the refs to ref a wider spread of teams? i'm really not sure...
I mean there aren't enough SG1 referees this season and that's with 4 newly promoted ones. I think a few seasons ago when they made the decision to relax the rules, it was out of necessity more than anything else.

Also didn't hurt that the clip of him celebrating in the Tranmere crowd went viral at about the same time. It's hard to suggest he'd be biased toward either LFC or EFC when he's been seen falling over himself celebrating a Tranmere goal!

I mean there aren't enough SG1 referees this season and that's with 4 newly promoted ones. I think a few seasons ago when they made the decision to relax the rules, it was out of necessity more than anything else.

Also didn't hurt that the clip of him celebrating in the Tranmere crowd went viral at about the same time. It's hard to suggest he'd be biased toward either LFC or EFC when he's been seen falling over himself celebrating a Tranmere goal!

yeah absolutely...but i guess it comes back to the whiter than white comment. i'll take it away from rumor and conjecture and whos brothers/mother/cousins/dog supports who and look at my circumstances

i'm big man city fan so i'll never ref them but wife and in laws all support leeds. can i ref leeds?

*i feel for this scenario to work out both teams would need to go bust and reappear in counties football! im not getting to the prem!

There's enough referees in SG1, but not enough referees that they trust

Agree, we need to trust the professionalism of the officials.
No way can account for every possibility, casing point, Oliver, cant do Newcastle, but, can do Sunderland. Imagine Newcastle bottom 5 end of season,i is he ruled out of Norwich, Watford or Burnley games?
Ditto at the top, its impossible to cover every situation.
Taylor simply has to be either a fan of City or United or at very least has family who will be.
I refuse to even entertain say Kavanagh messed up due to any leanings to City, its just an awful, but genuine, mistake.

I can only recall one blatent example of ' bias'. And even then, it hilariously went pear shaped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back