A&H

Fitness tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I will bear this in mind next year.

i used to use lloyds when i was just doing the county test and they didnt require doctor / nurse signature or practice stamps on the test certificate / letter. i suppose i was unsure they / the fa would accept a test that didn't quite match their requirements

my GP hasnt charged me the last 3 seasons, though they did just charge my Mrs for a 'fit to fly' letter as she's pregnant.

I will bear this in mind next year.

But the person doing to BP check at a Lloyds pharmacy isn't a medical practitioner as required by the FA, so you risk the person running the test refusing to accept it. I saw this happen one year where a referee had got his form stamped by the manager at his gym. The argument was it must be a doctor or a practice nurse.

But the person doing to BP check at a Lloyds pharmacy isn't a medical practitioner as required by the FA, so you risk the person running the test refusing to accept it. I saw this happen one year where a referee had got his form stamped by the manager at his gym. The argument was it must be a doctor or a practice nurse.
It says on the form gp, practice nurse or similar proffession so it is left to interpretation on the similar proffession. I think most would accept unless being a bit busy. Tbh I will be changing doctors as this is just a final straw in a long list of issues my wife and I have with them so hopefully the new docs wont charge next year. That said if they so then I'll just pay it. Its half a match fee so its not a biggy. Just annoyed that some are charging and others arent.. lack of consistency - its like Last weeks ref except last years nurse.

Doctor: "You look exhausted!"
Gullible New Referee: "I am. When your nurse phoned me yesterday and told me that I have to come today for a blood test, I spent the whole night studying for it." :angel:

Cheers guys. All my previous have been free lf charge... obviously I have paid it as I had no choice but I think I'll raise a complaint. And most likely change docs as this is just another issue amongst other problems.

I'll be at Bolton. I wanted Liverpool but couldnt see it on this Sunday. But it is there.. should have looked a bit harder before accepting bolton... think they are just about equidistant but I've heard the track at Liverpool is a touch quicker ;)
I'm at Bolton too tomorrow, best of luck tomorrow then James and see you tomorrow :)

Well done. 2.7 done for me. Wouldnt say I struggled with it but certainly wasnt my normal standard.

Well done. 2.7 done for me. Wouldnt say I struggled with it but certainly wasnt my normal standard.
Congrats the key thing is we passed!! TBH I was flunking all my practice runs couldn't get past the 2.5 mark... time to get a cheeky cheat meal now ;) all the best with the season matey. What league will you be on this season?

I'm on the north west combined counties pool. So Cheshire/Cheshire West/Liverpool/Manchester league and assistant on northwest counties. From what I hear there will be a lot of assisting.

Nice one James, Nalbi!

Track at Brentwood was nice and fast so I sneaked 2,850. Happy days! Bag of wine gums for my celebration :rolleyes:

Has anyone got a training programme that they'd be willing to share?

Obviously not an issue for me this year, but would be nice to know what sort of training regimen people follow to pass the test.

Has anyone got a training programme that they'd be willing to share?

Obviously not an issue for me this year, but would be nice to know what sort of training regimen people follow to pass the test.
I don't think there is anything specific out there... Personally i started a couple of months before the test, towards the back end of the season, first just to build up the stamina. Then I would do a test run once each week to gauge my progress (which wasn't great as we got closer to the test, if anything i got worse!).

I think the idea is to try and control your breathing and have an understanding of what's your plan to tackle the course, I heard some referees tend to go hard and fast the first few laps to give themselves more breathing room towards the latter parts of the test. I partially did that on the day, but to be honest i think it ended up me going steady through most of it and only slowing down towards the last lap.

What was key to me, more than anything else, was regulating my breathing and mentally conquering fatigue that settles in and the fear of not doing it.

Ukcolt not sure mine would be much use as we use a different test over here to the one used in England, however here it is -

Sunday morning 5k recovery run (30 mins max)
Monday Evening 5k 70% run (22 mins) 1k cool down
Tuesday Evening 1hr weights
Wednesday 5-10k at 5.30 pace
Thursday 1-2k swim
Friday nothing
Saturday match 9-10k coverage

Need to do more sprints and alternating pace but this works nicely for me. If pre season or end of season and mid week games then I generally forget the gym and swims and do a recovery run night after.

This is the only answer! Find what suits you and go with it. What works for you might not work for me etc...

Agree, following someone else's training program is a recipe for disaster.

Remember that you're not running a half marathon, you're running for just 12 minutes, so your training really needs to focus on this. Yes, you may have worked hard and can now run 10km in 50 minutes compared to an hour before you started training, but that is no good if if takes you 12 mins 5 seconds to complete 2600m.

Whilst you need to practice on a track as well, the best way of testing yourself is on a good treadmill. Running at 13km / hour for 12 minutes will cover 2.6km, so set the treadmill for 13.5km to allow for a bit of contingency and see if you can run solidly at that speed for 12 minutes. If you can't keep working at it until you can, once you can then get out onto the track to try and do it there. And don't forget the sprints as some people find that harder than the 12 minutes.

Agree, following someone else's training program is a recipe for disaster.

Remember that you're not running a half marathon, you're running for just 12 minutes, so your training really needs to focus on this. Yes, you may have worked hard and can now run 10km in 50 minutes compared to an hour before you started training, but that is no good if if takes you 12 mins 5 seconds to complete 2600m.

Whilst you need to practice on a track as well, the best way of testing yourself is on a good treadmill. Running at 13km / hour for 12 minutes will cover 2.6km, so set the treadmill for 13.5km to allow for a bit of contingency and see if you can run solidly at that speed for 12 minutes. If you can't keep working at it until you can, once you can then get out onto the track to try and do it there. And don't forget the sprints as some people find that harder than the 12 minutes.
It is good to run further than the 2.6. If all you ever run is 2.6 k then thats all you will ever be good at. A bit of endurance training goes a long way to then being able do 2.6. The longer you can run the easier going hard for 12 minutes will be. Id say if u can run 10 k in 50 mins you should be able to run 2.6 in 12.

Have to say personally struggle with a treadmill at 13...but fine on road/track. I find the treadmill causes me to develop poor running form which I then have to correct on the track/road

Would agree with James Long, hate treadmills as they don't actually give you proper running conditions, wind rain, heat etc better to find a local track and use it if possible if not a local pitch and use it if you can do it on a soft/heavy surface then the track will be no problems!

It is good to run further than the 2.6. If all you ever run is 2.6 k then thats all you will ever be good at. A bit of endurance training goes a long way to then being able do 2.6. The longer you can run the easier going hard for 12 minutes will be. Id say if u can run 10 k in 50 mins you should be able to run 2.6 in 12.

Have to say personally struggle with a treadmill at 13...but fine on road/track. I find the treadmill causes me to develop poor running form which I then have to correct on the track/road

Completely agree, my point was more don't just do the longer distances, rather make sure you can actually do at least 2.6km in 12 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back